“Fantastic Find”

Shoreline Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We loved our stay at Shoreline Hotel. This hotel has the friendliest staff that we have ever encountered on our vacations.

We were very happy with our room. It was very clean and comfortable. The rooms are well lit. The room was small but very comfortable for a couple. The bathroom was very clean and bright.

The pool was a little weird. It is on the roof top and to access it, you have to go to the top floor and walk up another few sets of stairs to get to the roof and walk another set of stairs to access the pool. I'm not a huge fan of heights so I wasn't too eager to spend time up there. We also spent all of our time swimming in the ocean so I wasn't disappointed at all.

When we arrived there was no room in the valet parking and we were told that we would have to park in the parking garage across the street, but we were also advised to call the front desk in the morning to check and see if there are any openings. It took two days, but we did get the valet parking and it was worth it. The valet staff was super friendly and fast.

We were a little worried about the location of the hotel since it sat close to a few sketchy areas off Kuhio, but we were surprised at how quiet it was. It is a straight shot down the road to the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and not too much further to the beach. You are also just behind the Waikiki Shopping Center with a few fun little shops inside.

When arriving to the hotel, we weren't sure what to expect. What a wonderful surprise finding this great boutique hotel in Waikiki. This is definitely a hotel we plan on staying in again and one we would suggest any couple, wanting to get away and relax, to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PKMB1026

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Not knowing anything about Waikiki, I booked this stay based on reviews and because the price was right on an Orbitz deal.

When I first arrived, I was not overly impressed with the hotel's exterior, and I didn't like that there were only stairs and no ramps to drag my rolling luggage on. But I got inside and immediately realized that I had found a gem. Retro contemporary theme...clean and vibrant...chic and comfortable. All in one package.

Got up to my room and it was the goldilocks effect, if you will--not huge...not tiny...the size was just right. Delicately appointed with just the right touch of flair. An awesome city view...a nice balcony for morning coffee. Lush bedding, nice big flat screen TV on the wall, microwave, mini fridge, and a perfectly sized bathroom. Again, everything clean and fresh. A touch of class.

Walking from the hotel to the desirable sights of Waikiki proved quick and easy. Walking score...I'd give it a 10.

Don't judge a book by its cover. I sure am glad I didn't with this hotel. This was a great stay in Waikiki and I would definitely stay here again if I ever come back to visit Oahu.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank wanderlust_c83
Shoreline H, Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Aloha wanderlust!

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your recent experience at the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, a Joie de Vivre hotel. I agree with you that sometimes looks can be deceiving. We are so glad you took a closer look to realize what a "gem" the Shoreline truly is. Mahalo from our entire team here at the Shoreline. We are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Love, love, love this property! Anytime JDV puts their touch on a hotel, it's always a good thing. They did a nice job incorporating the aloha spirit with their uniquely JDV stamp.

When looking to book a hotel in Waikiki, here are the best things to consider about the Shoreline:

- Location: it's only one block from Kalakaua so it's quiet and not as loud and boisterous as the other hotels right on K, but it's close enough to all the action. It's centrally located and close to Royal Hawaiian Center and the Beach Walk. The International Marketplace is a quick 5 mins (or less) walk. Waikiki Beach is blocks away. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping areas all right downstairs.

- Staff: Everyone here was genuinely helpful and friendly. The front desk staff were even so generous to extend our late check out to accommodate us since our flight was canceled and we needed to travel instead on a redeye. The housekeeping staff were always so pleasant when we would see them in the mornings. Sonny, Dustin, and Alex, the bell men and valet staff, were always prompt with retrieving our car for us.

- Cleanliness/Style: the hotel is newly renovated and well appointed.

- Rates: Moderately priced and great value for location.

Additionally, there is always hot coffee, tea and water and a business center in the lobby available at all times. I would not hesitate to stay here again when in Waikiki. I love boutique hotels and there are so many great reasons to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank aricafort27

Aloha aricafort27!

As you probably already know, the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki is Joie de Vivre's newest boutique hotel in Honolulu! Our entire team at the Shoreline is committed to providing joy of life and I agree with you that it truly does show in each employee's "genuinely friendly and helpful" attitude. Thank you so much for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Mahalo!

Reviewed 14 July 2013

The Shoreline was less expensive than many of the other hotels in Waikiki. It is ideally located, within walking distance to the beach and many restaurants, stores, and attractions. We did not rent a car, and except for a cab ride to and from the airport, we did not require a car to get to any of our activities. The hotel does not look like much from the outside, but inside is nicely decorated, looks a bit more upscale, and is very clean. There is a pool on the rooftop with a view of the ocean, which we visited a few times and always had to ourselves. The staff was gracious and accommodating, and the beds were comfortable. The rooms are on the small side. There is room to walk around the bed, and that's about it. There is no dresser, so you have to either keep all your clothes in the closet or live out of your suitcase. We did not spend much of our vacation in our room, so the small size was not a concern. My only complaint was that the towels were rough. I definitely felt that I got a great value for the price, and I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jennylott
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed here 2 nights a couple weeks ago on our first trip to the island. I had done so much research and read tons of reviews trying to find a place that was affordable, in a good location, and nice. The Shoreline really exceeded our expectations! The decor is modern, the room was very clean, it's so close to the beach, but the friendly and accommodating staff were definitely the best part. We had an issue booking through Expedia, and the manager bent over backwards to help us on their end. I would definitely book directly with the hotel next time, and I would definitely stay at The Shoreline again!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank lisatravelssometimes
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I love the location...off the main drag but still within very easy walking of the Royal Hawaiian center and Waikiki beach. I wanted to try this boutique hotel style because I like the joie de vivre chain out of the San Francisco Bay area. Granted the price was exceptional - $147 a night but it is very basic. Some pluses and minuses

Plus - Location, clean, updated to modern 60's style, friendly staff, free wifi in room (this is big), comfortable bed, across from Ross store, rooftop pool but all concrete/good view of ocean.

Minus - air conditioning directly on the bed/can get cold, no room service (Mexican restaurant next door that is OK), forgot to clean my room once and no towels another day, can't print docs except boarding pass - not really a business center, no green landscape around.

So..overall a good stay for the price. No frills but clean if you want just a place to sleep.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fairly small. For more quiet, ask for a room not facing Seaside Ave.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
12  Thank GFInow
Shoreline H, Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Aloha GFInow!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your recent experience at the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, Joie de Vivre's newest addition to Honolulu! We very much appreciate your feedback especially from such a loyal JdV guest.

It seems as though overall we did meet your expectations. Quite honestly, our goal is to exceed expectations so I am so glad that you provided us with your thoughts on some opportunities to improve. We have already begun using your feedback as a training tool for our housekeeping staff to make sure that we do not continue to miss anything. Also, I have double checked our business center computers and verified that the printers are working properly and that they have the ability to print anything that you might need to print beyond just the boarding pass.

Also, thank you for posting the room tip for future guests to consider. I would add to your suggestion that we do also have larger rooms available at the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki. If you are looking for something larger and with a view, I would suggest the Partial Ocean View room with a King size bed or even better is the Junior Suite with a partial ocean view. Whichever room you decide works best, you can always expect a refrigerator, microwave and complimentary coffee available in your room as well as a 24-hour beverage station in the lobby.

Thanks again for the review and the wonderful tips about the Shoreline. We hope to see you back again sometime!

Mahalo!

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We really enjoyed weeks stay it was VERY clean, short walking distance to beach (1blk) and other stores. The staff was very helpful, always smiling and knowledgeable.
Will definitively recommend. It was our first trip to Hawaii and you helped make it very enjoyable.
THANK YOU FOR A JOB WELL DONE!
M n J

Room Tip: Did not try the pool, daughter did.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends