“solid hotel”

Shoreline Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I just stayed there for four days w/my wife during a vacation. Loved the location. It is a five minute walk from the beach. And the staff was super friendly. The room was a bit small but the price was great and totally worth it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reuven77
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Aloha Reuven77,

I’d personally like to thank you and the Mrs. for choosing to stay with us during your stay. I take great pride when each and every time our staff is mentioned and is able to make our guests stay a memorable one. Please contact us directly during your next Hawaiian vacation. From everyone here at the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, Mahalo!

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My Husband and I spent two weeks here for my special Birthday-we were so glad we picked this Hotel.It was such a great location close to everything and yet nice and quiet, as just off main road down a quiet street. The staff were all very friendly and gave us lots of advice about getting around the Island and good restaurants. Coffee making machine in the room and a small fridge.The bed was very big and so comfortable we slept really well.Would have no doubts about staying there again or recommending to any-one.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th.Floor and were quite happy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annabananaok

Aloha ananbananok,

Thank you for making the Shoreline your home away from home during your two week vacation. It was our pleasure to have you. Our Front Desk Hosts love to share their personal favorites to our guests when it comes to restaurants and key places to see while on O’ahu. I am happy that you took them up on their suggestions and experienced the island as a local Kama’aina. Please send happy belated birthday wishes to your husband as well. We hope to see you again.

Mahalo,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Boutique hotel near high end fashion stores and a 10 minute walk to beach. Room was small but compact and big enough for two. Big asset was the fact it was quiet on the 5th floor! Asked for a room away from street and it was really well soundproofed. Mini fridge and coffee maker in room and towels provided for beach if you asked at the front desk. Only thing the hotel lacked was a breakfast area. We ate our own in our room,but it was a small space in which to eat. No table at all....all in all a very good hotel and reasonably priced.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lizpaul
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Aloha Lizpaul,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience on tripadvisor. My staff and I use this as a tool to improve thus enhancing our guests’ experience. It is great to know that the biggest asset of our hotel was its quietness, even though we are located in the heart of Waikiki I am happy to know that you were able to sleep well.

Mahalo,

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel while in town for a conference. I had requested a room on a higher floor as suggested in previous posts and I got a room on the 9th floor. The room was large enough, I was on my own. The first day there was a plumbing issue but I reported it and it was fixed right away. The staff I encountered were very friendly and professional but not uptight. I didn't need to have the room cleaned every day because I didn't spend a whole lot of time in it, I would just have a few towels replaced. The lanai is very small with one plastic chair, I went out now and then to check the status of the rain. It rained hard nearly every day I was there. I spent a few hours at the pool one day, it is small and I was the only one there. My stay for the most part was good, I was quite disappointed when I asked about staying an extra night and the rate was much higher than what I'd paid and I didn't feel the front desk was interested in working something out. The additional night was not planned and I ended up finding another hotel for the night.
The parking price is too high. there is one super nice valet attendant, he was very friendly and courteous.
I chose this hotel after researching and reading the ratings on trip advisor. I don't think I would rate this hotel as high as a five.

Room Tip: Like the other suggestions, a higher floor and one facing the street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank flygirl_7
Shoreline H, Front Office Manager at Shoreline Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Aloha flygirl_7,
Thank you for staying with us during your conference. I am glad to see that everything went well during your stay and that our maintenance department was able to fix the minor issue in your room. Each employee from every department loves going the extra mile to ensure our guests comfort. While our rates and valet charges are very competitive with other hotels with similar amenities and features the room rates do fluctuate based on the availability of rooms. Again thank you for your feedback it was our pleasure to have accommodated you well.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a very nice hotel. They were very helpful letting us know where to get a good meal, and giving us maps on how to get to different restaurants and attractions. When we asked for towels to take to the beach they even gave us little backpacks to carry them in.
The rooms weren't the biggest, but they were plenty good for us.
Front desk was very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ekhomme

Aloha Erling H,
Thank you so very much for your kind words about our hotel and staff. Our Front Desk Hosts enjoy giving our guests tips for the best local eateries and attractions. Please tell your friends about the Shoreline Hotel Waikiki and do visit again.

Daniel Floren,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Compared to the fancy Hyatts, Sheratons, etc in the area, this hotel will not wow you with its basic looks & facilities. I think it's biggest plus is the location - even though it is not ON Waikiki Beach.

We encountered the biggest negative of our stay when the airport shuttle dropped us curbside. To our dismay, there was no ramp to tow our wheeled bags to the lobby - we had to carry them up a flight of (low) steps. Not fun after a long & tiring flight.

Check-in was uneventful & we were allowed to get into our room early. We got our info for free wifi log-in & really appreciated the elevators to our 5th floor. The view was horrible (the backside of some business building) & we didn't really use the single chair on the small balcony. But I was curious about the pool on the 14th floor ...

Again, not much of a view except for the tops of other hotels & other buildings around us. In the distance, maybe a hazy glimpse of the ocean. It was a very basic pool for getting wet, not much space for much else.

Our room had a very comfortable bed, a mini-fridge, microwave & coffee-maker. We liked that there was a desk-chair and an arm-chair for two of us to sit on besides the bed. The shower was good & strong, but based on the lack of lather, I suspect the water was "hard" (normal for Hawaii?). Quite noise-proof too.

Thankfully the hotel had a very detailed map of the surrounding area - restaurants, shopping, hotels, etc. Also details on riding the various public buses/trolleys & how to get to the nearby beach.

Across the street, one of the ubiquitous ABC Stores (39 in Waikiki alone) where we shopped for 100% Kona coffee macadamia chocolates & souvenirs. Then we discovered Duke's Marketplace one street over, parallel to ours - a bargainer's joy for haggling over jewelry, handicrafts, etc from the numerous stalls & merchants.

Kuhio Avenue is at one end of our Seaside Avenue and it is the cheaper, but no less exciting street than the high-end Kalakaua Avenue. Most buses run both ways on Kuhio so tourists can pretty much go anywhere.

Next door to the hotel: an ATM and Starbucks (and another across the street). Opposite direction of Kuhio, cross Kalakaua Avenue, are the hotels that we walked through to get to the beach.

As I said, great location - once you get your bearings. Unless you plan on staring at or living on the beach, there really is no need to pay the premium bucks to stay in those hotels.

If there was a good price, I wouldn't mind staying here again. We got all our breakfast items at the ABC store & ate in our room everyday, using the microwave.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank itchfoot

Aloha itchfoot,

Thank you for your review. Based on your comments I’m glad to see that you had an enjoyable stay during your time here on O’ahu. I am glad that our Front Desk Hosts were able to assist you as you ventured out during your days with us. The location of the hotel is a major benefit for those who are trying to stay on a budget and spend their money on other activities. Our hotel boasts both city view and partial ocean view rooms, feel free to to book a partial ocean view room during your next trip.

Daniel Floren,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here during the Spam Jam event April 2013 - Location is very convenient (only a few blocks from Waikiki beach and right by the shopping area). The people working the front desk are all friendly and attentive. We weren't satisfied with the layout of our first room (view facing the parking lot) and asked to be changed. The front desk changed our room without hesitation to a higher floor with a balcony facing the front of the hotel. The rooms are recently renovated giving it a fresh decor and vibe. The bathroom was a bit depressing though with dim lighting and a very basic look to it (comparable to a motel 6 bathroom). Lobby was very modern with high ceiling, pleasant to come back to after a long day of excursions. There is parking available at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the front. Great view from the balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple