“The snorkeling rocks- Beware Military that all Dependents MUST have ID” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve

Ranked #6 of 319 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A perfect snorkeling spot.
DENVER
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The snorkeling rocks- Beware Military that all Dependents MUST have ID”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The "nice" lady at the ticket booth would not let my husband in without paying- he and I were planning to snorkel so he did not bring his ID since I am ACTIVE and had mine. She made us pay $7.50 for him. Totally not cool - our kids look just like HIM! I just find it disgraceful but I did not want this experience to tarnish our opinion of the beauty around us and the fish and turtles. SO, MILITARY heed my warning: all eligible dependents (12 years and up) MUST HAVE their ID cards. Have fun.... no discount on snorkel gear so bring your own - it will be more comfortable. If you do rent equipment, bring thick socks ladies, those fins HURT like heck after 30 mins. HAVE FUN and most of all, enjoy the beauty... gorgeous place!

1 Thank getcluedincolorado

• Turkish first
Chilliwack, Canada
“Swimming in garbage”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have been out to Hanama Bay a few times and always enjoyed it. However today we went out and were literally swimming in garbage. Big chunks of styrofoam, plastics and all kinds of other debris. I have never seen anything like it. Gross. I was swimming and felt something touching me. I came up and found an empty water bottle floating with the garbage. Needless to say we were only in for a few minutes.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Perfect Day Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I literally spent hours in the water, here. And I will keep coming back until I get a good photo of that sea turtle who is human-shy. Bring your snorkel and picnic gear. You'll be staying a while and the time flies by. Good to be solo, with friends, or family. Everyone is welcome and it is a beautiful spot.

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Go prepared or be disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We went expecting an hour or so of peaceful snorkeling in the bay with no fuss. What happened was we turned up at about 10am to find a large car park already full and about to close. We were charged $1 to park, and them $7.50 each to go down to the beach. Hawaii residents, military stationed there and under 12s are free. You then HAVE to watch a 9 min orientation video, preceded by 6 mins of chat from one of the education officers about how you can buy food there and a season pass. The video was cringeworthy to watch - a mixture of "please don't sue us if you stub your toe" and "welcome to Disney".
However, once we got into the beach itself it was great - enough space for everyone and beautifully clear waters with lots of big, colourful fish. It is shallow in places though, so consider carefully if you want fins or not. There are some reasonably strong undercurrents not far out (marked by white buoys) so be careful. This was the info I'd expected in the 9 minute video, but nothing on this at all! Lifeguards are all over it though so it is totally safe for kids.
Overall, an unexpectedly expensive trip to the beach - great when you get there, and a stunningly beautiful bay but way too commercialised - it felt more like a water park for novice swimmers and young kids than a beach. Snorkeling was enjoyable, and the fish are pretty and plentiful but know what you're getting into before you go!

Sydney, Australia
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Blue Hawaii at its Best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have visited Hanauma Bay twice, this time it was part of an eco island tour. We stopped here for approximately fifteen minutes. This beach is most famous for scenes from Elvis Presley's movie Blue Hawaii. There was red cardinal birds and a mongoose roaming around.

This is a picturesque stop with facilities and you may swim and snorkel as well as relax and have lunch at the preserve.

I would recommend this spot to anyone interested in nature preserves as the area is protected.