“Fun to snorkel with the kids” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 319 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A perfect snorkeling spot.
Jamestown, New York
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 252 helpful votes
“Fun to snorkel with the kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a park, so its controlled. They have trams to take you up and down from the top where you enter down to the cove where
there is a beach and swimming. There is a lot of coral there, you see many types of fish. It's well protected from the open ocean so
the water is calm. Fun, but not my favorite place to snorkel in Hawaii.

Visited February 2013

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Tips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Don't go on a weekend. Don't go around holidays. Arrive early leave early. Consider this place an early day visit during the week. And if you are planning to snorkel chose a morning with high tide. Low tide is difficult snorkeling. A good idea is to visit this place in the morning and go to another beach in the afternoon. There are some very nice beaches nearby.

Opinion: I'm always astonished how disrespectful tourists are to Hanauma's natural environment. Littering, feeding the wildlife, walking on the reefs, etc. If you plan on visiting please respect the reef and the aquatic life. And if you see trash in the ocean pick it up and dispose of it properly.

1 Thank bcmwk
DENVER
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The snorkeling rocks- Beware Military that all Dependents MUST have ID”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The "nice" lady at the ticket booth would not let my husband in without paying- he and I were planning to snorkel so he did not bring his ID since I am ACTIVE and had mine. She made us pay $7.50 for him. Totally not cool - our kids look just like HIM! I just find it disgraceful but I did not want this experience to tarnish our opinion of the beauty around us and the fish and turtles. SO, MILITARY heed my warning: all eligible dependents (12 years and up) MUST HAVE their ID cards. Have fun.... no discount on snorkel gear so bring your own - it will be more comfortable. If you do rent equipment, bring thick socks ladies, those fins HURT like heck after 30 mins. HAVE FUN and most of all, enjoy the beauty... gorgeous place!

1 Thank getcluedincolorado
Chilliwack, Canada
“Swimming in garbage”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have been out to Hanama Bay a few times and always enjoyed it. However today we went out and were literally swimming in garbage. Big chunks of styrofoam, plastics and all kinds of other debris. I have never seen anything like it. Gross. I was swimming and felt something touching me. I came up and found an empty water bottle floating with the garbage. Needless to say we were only in for a few minutes.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Perfect Day Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I literally spent hours in the water, here. And I will keep coming back until I get a good photo of that sea turtle who is human-shy. Bring your snorkel and picnic gear. You'll be staying a while and the time flies by. Good to be solo, with friends, or family. Everyone is welcome and it is a beautiful spot.