“It's a must”

Ranked #6 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A perfect snorkeling spot.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A great day to make memories with your family! Great snorkeling epic beach! I go back every year! Bring your floaties and snorkeling gear and lunch make a day of it! Mongoose running all over.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,366)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Hanauma Bay and I would recommend it to any friend planning a trip to Oahu. I found the beach to be very clean considering the large crowds of people visiting and the water was tranquil unlike a few other beaches I've visited in Hawaii.

The snorkelling at Hanauma is average and visibility is good. There are a LOT of people who visit Hanauma Bay the wherever you swim around the bay you're going to run into people. That being said I think that I was a great beach for first time snorkelers. The staff are extremely helpful and getting a snorkel class, renting gear, and learning about the coral and sea life in the bay are easy at the visitor center.

We arrived at 8:30am on a weekday and we were lucky we found parking. At that time the parking field was already packed! We had our own snorkel gear so other than waiting in line to buy entrance tickets we didn't have to wait on any other lines.

The beach has lifeguards on duty.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have to say that other than the line and the wait to get in... this place is breathtaking!!! Amazing waters.. amazing views!!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The walk down to this beach was spectacular. The views alone are worth it! You do have to pay an admission fee (I think it was $7.50) and watch a video before you can proceed to the beach. I didn't go snorkeling but my friend did and she said she only saw about 6 fish.

The only downside were the pigeons! They were so bold. I have a fear of birds so it was a little terrifying and once my friend was done snorkeling I had to leave. The birds circle your blanket, come towards you, walk over your blankets, bags, etc. It was really horrible and I was restless, but if that doesn't bother you then this is worth it. I would do it again regardless of my fear just to view this beautiful beach once more!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

You have to pay a fee but it is worth it. Bring snorkel gear if you have it or you can rent it on the beach. You float on top of the salt water so life vests are not necessary. Sea turtles swim right besides you, the tropical fish are huge!!! You cannot step on any coral/rocks so this is not really a beach to hang out and just play around. I would go to another beach for that. This is simply amazing for snorkeling.