Message from TripAdvisor:

“Cockroach pit with a view!”

Marina Tower Waikiki
Ranked #84 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Staff were fairly unhelpful and cleanliness of room was very bad. Cockroaches regularly running around the room and kitchen area, we stayed on the 37th floor the view was stunning and its in a good location but bitterly disappointed how clean the room was.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris W
There are newer reviews for Marina Tower Waikiki

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We found this place through Google's travel search (pretty decent), and confirmed our choice with more reviews through other travel sites.

It is indeed an old building, but one would be fooled based on the chic check-in desk at The Equus Hotel. It's a bit of a weird setup, but The Equus seems to own/maintain The Marina Tower (which does not have a front desk). It was our 1 year anniversary (it's not much of a milestone), and they made it a special one by upgrading us to the 39th floor with an ocean view, just 1 floor under the penthouse. The staff at the desk were always friendly and helpful whenever we approached them. Needless to say, we were pretty floored by the gesture and was further floored by the great view. It would be a 'spectacular' view, but other hotels blocked the full view of the ocean and beaches. You do get a glimpse of Ala Mona Park/beach and the Hilton Lagoon though, which are exquisite specimens of paradise.

The A/C was horrible, and is really the only investment most necessary to be upgraded. One really neat thing though, is that the room came with a freezer chest! Upon this discovery, we had to get some ice cream.

The room was clean but a bit dingy. Few of the power outlets did not work, but we got by. Elevators are indeed the slowest around, and makes some of the worst noises for anyone that is afraid of heights.

All in all, you get what you pay for. But in our case, we got some special accommodations! Great location - minutes from Ala Mona Mall and the Convention Center. A 10minute walk to the start of the Waikiki strip. Also right across from the Hilton, which is a fun place to visit even if you're not staying there (they don't check if you're staying, so you can pretty much use all their amenities).

I'd highly recommend this place if you're on a budget and just want a place to rest your head for the night.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I can only speak to my experience with the facility as a whole and not as a hotel room, since I rented a condo unit within the building that is privately owned.

Pros: this place is in a great location that's within walking distance of Waikiki and the Ala Moana shopping center. For rooms on the south side of the building, there is an almost-great view of the ocean that's blocked by a few high-rises. The swimming pool is very small, but it's well-maintained.

Cons: based on my discussion with other guests who did have a hotel room there, I know that their room layout was the same as ours. The window-mounted A/C unit was extremely noisy and failed to regulate the room temp well. I spent every night alternating between turning on the A/C or opening the window. The room is also very oddly shaped with a ledge about 3' from the ground that juts into the room and eliminates about 30 square feet of usable space. The 2 elevators are agonizingly slow. The fact that they have absolutely no ventilation coupled with glass walls which are fully exposed to the sun most of the day make the slow ride tortuous.

In this case, you really get what you pay for. Location: 10, comfort: 3. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank monster00
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

When I checked in the front desk was very courteous. Kudos to him. The room was upgraded to a ocean view with two beds. When I got in the room the beds were the size of my kids bunk beds, and the counter had a dead German roach on it. (Bad entry). I then killed two more as they made breaks for my fruit I bought later that day. The next day I found one more in the bathroom, and squashed him promptly. Third day in and I wake up with one in the bed with me! I ask the front desk what is the policy on checking out and just paying for my night's there, but I booked through agoda, and if I checked out early they would bill me for one more night on my card. Not cool man. Lesson learned, don't book through agora and sometimes a deal means you have to "deal" with it... Bad maneuver.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank mrdavemann
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I booked a room at the equuis hotel and I needed to change rooms to one that would be quiter then the one I was in.
I asked the hotel staff could they honor my request and they did with no issues and I was very pleased, The staff is ALWAYS nice and helpful everytime I have stayed.
I would HIGHLY recomend the hotel to my friends, It has an excellent location and if you request a room with an ocean view they delivered 110% I stayed in room 3701 all I can say is WOW! and thank you.
So if you want a stress free hotel experience I would recomend you try this Hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A great view from the room at a more accessible price. We were nicely welcomed with the traditional shells lei and with nice pineapple in the room.
The elevators offer a spectacular view when going up to your room. The beach is really 5 min to walk.
Unfortunately during the night I saw some bugs coming out from the kitchenette which is not really nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnaMaria B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a funny hotel, it's part of a complex of 3, so you enter via Equus, which was confusing to start with. I booked through Agoda, they had difficulty finding the reservation.
The bus boy was excellent and very friendly, stored our luggage while we waited for check in, nothing was too much trouble for him.
My friend's room looks like it was renovated recently, mine wasn't.
Neither of us had hair dryers, so had to request - just a nuisance really.
We both had partial views of the beach - they were great views on the 36th floor. And the other good thing is only 4 rooms per floor so no outside noise.
Inside noise from the air con however, was atrocious.
Bed very soft, if you like that...
But very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends