“Great Location, acceptable hostel”

The Beach Waikiki Boutique Hostel
Calgary, Canada
“Great Location, acceptable hostel”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The best thing about this place is the location. It is very close to the beach and all amenities and anything you need. Easy to get to via shuttle or public transportation. Never used a taxi in the area, but heard they are very expensive. The hostel itself, has been updated and has attempted to keep the place clean, but I think our experience was reduced by our roommates. We bunked with one of the workers, and the room was a disaster. He had clothes all over the floor and, on all the bunks. There were moldy dirty dishes in the sink, and cockroaches through out the room. Bugs don't bother me much, but there was a definite cockroach problem in our room, but I would say it might be isolated to the room we stayed in as it was not kept clean. Other guest even commented on how bad our room smelled compared to theirs, so I don't think it's the hostel. The other guests were great, good vibe in the hostel, lots of new friends, good conversation. Would still recommend the place based on location and price. The day shift staff were awesome and extremely helpful!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank travel2011154913

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

The hostel is clean, and if you want to stay in Waikiki it's in a great location, close to the beach and my preffered (south) end... i.e. not overrun by chain stores (but close enough ~5mins walk). The staff are a bit clueless about the island and what it has to offer which is a shame, but overall friendly enough.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Alex H
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed here for four nighs in August when I was on holiday in Waikiki. This place is nice, very tropical yard, nice rooms with lovely comfy bed.I was surprise with some nasty review I read about this hostel. Free breakfast and pizza on some days

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank onitochigi
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This was a good value for the money we spent. It was close to the beach and restaurants. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The rooms were pretty basic, but to be expected for the location and price.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Forest HIlls, NY
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I just wanted to say what a fantastic time I had recently staying at the Waikiki Backpackers Hostel. The staff was fantastic, the accomodations were well-located and clean, and the meals were just enough to start the day. I would wholeheartedly recommend this to any hosteler looking for a great value and a supurb hosteling experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MyNameForestHills_NY
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Rooms were clean and spacious enough. Fellow occupants during our stay were respectful. Breakfast is weak (toast, butter, jam, and 1 yogurt), but you can't have it all, I suppose.

Great location on the eastern end of Waikiki beach-- essentially right on the main beach and tourist drag. That said, we appreciated being able to easily access life outside of Waikiki, as the Diamond's Head attraction was only a ~3 mi away.

I'd stay here again. The price is right for downtown Honolulu. You stay in HI for the outdoors and the beach, so I'd recommend skimping on loding costs and just crashing here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank William N
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Well located, two blocks from Waikiki beach. I booked a private double room (room 4). It had a wood carpet, king size bed, big LCD TV, fridge, microwave, air conditioner, fan, private bathroom and closed. Internet wifi signal was not working in my bedroom (low signal), but at the kitchen and office, it worked fine (good speed).
The cold water pressure in the shower was low, but enough, not a problem. In front of my room there were two chairs, a table and a deck chair.
Common kitchen was well equipped, with toaster, fridge, microwave and oven. Breakfast included 4 pieces of bread, coffee, butter, jam and one yogurt (one of the days I was there, there were 2 eggs for each person).
Everything was clean. Bedroom windows have bug protection.
They cold just put an advertisement in front of the building, in order to make it more visible.
Staff was always ready to help, and they gave me several hints for my trip.
Some days I've heard some noise during the night, about people arriving, but nothing that would bother my sleep. Nice place, nice price, nice staff... I recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple