“Very good”

Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Bellevue, Washington
“Very good”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Overall, I had very good impression from the hotel.

Pros:
* relatively low price for Waikiki;
* everything is clean, everything looks new -- in the room as well as in the lobby;
* free WiFi;
* complimentary breakfast: might be too minimalistic for some (fruits, pastry & coffee), but all fresh and tasty.

Cons:
* the room is small (Cosmopolitan Ocean View Queen), pretty much most of the space is taken by the bed;
* the A/C is loud, may be disturbing at night.

Room Tip: There's really not much of the ocean seen from the rooms (I stayed on 15th floor in a Cosmopolit...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Max G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I am a local here living in east Honolulu but decided to take a few days of stay-cation in Waikiki over the weekend. Chose the Vive since it is so new.....and my instinct was absolutely spot-on. This is a great place to stay with reasonable price points for what you are getting. I have zero concerns or complaints. Clean, neat, customer-oriented from the second you walk through the doors. While not overplush....it is very well decorated and all furnishings are chic and fabulous. I travel all around the world and stay at some very nice resorts/hotels....and I can say that this Vive ranks well with anyone. It is what it is.....simply eclectic and remarkable. The lobby area is a great place to relax and chill....great taste in the style. All employees were very engaging with their conversation but not pushy or patronizing. They genuinely care for you and your needs. Kuhio Avenue can be a dog and pony show with all kinds of activities trying to get your attention....but this is truly an oasis in the middle of all the entertainment. The street noise was no big deal in my estimation....especially with the AC turned on. Very comfortable room indeed. Bed was awesome....and good for everything you need or desire! ;-) If you want to avoid the parking costs and don't mind walking....just park up on Monsorrat Avenue across from the Shell at Kapiolani Park. Free on-street parking on the left hand side of the road....safe in my opinion. Only about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel....and will save you $$ if you have to pay either at the Vive or any other local structure. As well, up the street at the Waikiki Banyan parking is $15.00 per 24 hours....only a couple blocks east up on Kuhio Avenue. Parking at the Vive will run you $25.00 per day....which is about what you will pay most places if not more. Save the $$ and just walk a few minutes to Monsorrat Avenue. If you are looking for a fantastic experience.....you cannot go wrong with these folks. Continental breakfast was good....but some people may want something more substantial. Plenty of options from which to choose all around the property....but that always comes with a price, right? So enjoy all the comforts of the Vive.....just do it!

Room Tip: My room on the 12th floor facing west and overlooking Kuhio Avenue was fine. If all the rooms are l...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lake Wylie SC
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Hotel was modern, nicely furnished with a very nice lobby and staff was very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are cozy, VERY CLEAN (stayed at many Hawaiian supposed 4 star hotels and been subjected to heavy mildew smell) and the room nicely appointed. Ocean view rooms have glimpses of Waikiki water and nice views of the city. With all of these great factors it's also very reasonably priced, in fact for the money, you feel you are getting an upscale Starwood hotel at a deep discount and I've stayed at The W in Honolulu several times for triple what this hotel cost me and was WAY more satisfied with my room, service and friendliness at Vive. Easily one of Honolulu's best kept secrets.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MarkDTN8
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I've been in many hotels in different countries but this hotel beats all. we decided to stay here again on our most recent trip. Other people have already mentioned the convenient location, and included breakfast,

Room Tip: Ask for PH (level 22)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Whittier, California
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed at the Vive for almost three weeks. Between business and family travel I've stayed at a lot of hotels from budget to premium. I've never been made so welcome in a hotel by literally every staff member we encountered. And the hotel was super clean.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan G
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was on Oahu for business this week and stayed at the Vive. I knew I wouldn't be spending a ton of time in my hotel, so I really didn't do too much research...I based my decision pretty much on price alone.

For the price, the Vive wasn't a bad choice. The rooms are clean, the staff is super helpful, and the location really isn't too bad...just one block from the beach.

The only negatives are the parking prices ($25/day) and the size of the rooms. I have never stayed in a smaller room in my career (and I've stayed at dozens of hotels in NYC), but it really didn't bother me, because I wasn't spending much time in my room. Also, the shower flow was weak...again, not enough to complain.

Overall, a nice place to stay in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Stay up high. Street noise could be loud.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at the Vive Hotel for 7 nights at the beginning of November 2013 with my mum. We chose the Junior Suite from a previous review on TripAdvisor, and we were thrilled. We booked through the hotel directly, as they had a better rate than the one on Expedia.

From the moment we arrived, the friendly staffed were ever so helpful with assisting us in whatever we needed, and although it was early in the morning, they had organized a room to be ready for us ahead of check-in time. We were in room 1808 (I think) and we had a corner room on the building, with Diamond Head on the left and facing straight down to Waikiki Beach. The room was impeccable, clean and brand new inside. The huge king bed is so comfortable, and the bathroom is amazing!! So much bench space for all of our toiletries and a HUGE walk in shower. I've never seen anything so mind-blowing in all my life - showering at home is just not the same!! The room includes free WiFi which was super-fast and great, and breakfast downstairs was good. You get a choice of fruits and pastries/croissants. If I could add anything, some hard-boiled eggs and maybe toast would be a great addition however there are so many places to go out for breakfast so this really wasn't a big deal at all.

The hotel is literally a 2 min walk to pretty much everything, with bus stops and trolley stops all around, and a quick stroll down the road will take you straight to Waikiki Beach where the Duke statue is. Fantastic!! This was our second trip to Hawaii and I would highly recommend this hotel - in fact I already have told everyone I know about it.

If you are wanting a view, do yourself a favour a pay the extra money for the Junior Suites. You may not be right on Waikiki Beach, but you can see it from the window and that was sure as hell good enough for me! I thoroughly enjoyed standing at the bathroom sink every morning, brushing my teeth and having a view of the ocean and horizon in the mirror's reflection!! Also the hotel has no pool or restaurant on site but seriously who cares?! For the price we paid, which was much less than any oceanfront hotel in Honolulu, this is without a doubt the best value for the location, convenience, service and cleanliness. Just book this hotel NOW!!

Room Tip: Junior Suites on the corner are best for views, have more space and amazing bathroom!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family