“One of TOP hotels in Waikiki”
Review of Vive Hotel Waikiki

Vive Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
“One of TOP hotels in Waikiki”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have stayed in the TOP hotels in area on 10+ trips here. HIGHLY recommend this hotel for families, couples, or business stays. Short 2-3 minute walk to Waikiki beach and shopping. Great breakfast included. Staff is super. Especially the valet guys. Don't spend $400 a night. KY's steakhouse is best in area, right next door. Also some "local" restaurants just across street you can eat for $6 a meal. I packed light, did laundry myself across street for $5. Stay here...Aloha!

Room Tip: Stay in a Jr. Suite for just a few dollars more! Ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank jwoliver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Pros:
- Excellent location: Central Waikiki, you're a 10-15 minute walk from most places in Waikiki
- Modern: All the furnishings were new and the decor was very pleasing
- Free WiFi: Coming from Canada it surprised me that most places in Oahu (US in general) lacked free WiFi. Having free WiFi was a treat as it allowed us to pre-plan our days.
- Complimentary Breakfast: Selection was a little small (Fresh fruit, Pastry, Juice, and Coffee), was hoping for some veggies or eggs but beggars can't be choosers. Can't beat the free Kona coffee and the fresh and fresh sweet pineapple. The pastries were delicious when baked in the toaster oven provided
- Cleaniness: Room was always very clean when we got back.
- Lobby: Very nice modern looking lobby, relaxing music.
- Staff: All of the staff had really positive attitudes and were very helpful, I was very impressed
- Luggage Storage: This was a fantastic perk to have. Our flight wasn't until 11:25PM so this service gave us a free full day to enjoy lounging around Waikiki beach.
- Amenities: Free beach towels, beach chairs, umbrellas and boogie boards.
- No Mandatory resort fees.

Cons:
- Small Room: Rooms were a bit small. However, the overall layout was well designed so the space was used very efficiently. Plus we weren't in our rooms for the most part anyways so it wasn't too much of an issue.
- Road Noise: You can hear noise from people who can't control their volume (drunk). we were on the 10th floor but I figure the noise is somewhat unavoidable since Waikiki is a bustling with activity day and night.
When it rained the water would hit the back of the air conditioning machine causing the thunking sounds to travel into the room.
The A/C operates intermittently rather so you can compressor go throughout the night. It was nice since it would drown out the sounds from the street.

Overall, our stay at the VIVE Hotel was excellent. Would definitely recommend others to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tomi H
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Vive Hotel during Probowl weekend (Jan 23-26th 2014) and we absolutely loved it!!! We were upgraded to the King bedroom suite which was very spacious and very clean. The hotel offers a continental breakfast every morning which consists of pastries, fruit, pineapple juice, coffee and tea (make sure you use the toaster oven for the pastries, it’s a must). We learned this the second day.

The hotel also offers free wifi (which you don’t get free at any hotel unless you pay a daily resort fee of $30.00) and they provide you with complimentary beach towels, mats, and even chairs for the beach, which you would typically have to buy elsewhere. The hotel also provides their guests with a complimentary room for one hour on the date you check out in case you want to go to the beach and need a clean room to shower in before your flight. Like which hotel offers that for free???? Although we didn’t take advantage of this the option was definitely appreciated. Furthermore, the hotel is located only minutes from the beach so it was only a short walk each morning.

The staff was incredible as well! Kevin was awesome in letting us know about the cool hot spots in Waikiki and basically helped us with anything we needed. He was amazing! My partner also proposed while we were there and George was fabulous in making arrangements to ensure our room was decorated with beautiful flowers upon our return. It was stunning! Overall, we had an amazing stay at the Vive Hotel and when we return for our wedding we will definitely be referring our guests here!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a King, its much more spacious!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Vive just opened up in July, 2013 and is located where Uluniu intersects Kuhio in Waikiki. It is a short walk from the beach where the iconic Duke Kahanamoku statue is located.

This is a European boutique style hotel. There are leather couches in the lobby, continental breakfast is served, and there is no pool. Although there is no restaurant or bar, you don't have to wait 15 minutes for a crowded elevator like the resort hotels either.

The service was excellent. Robb at the front desk is da kine!!! He's super friendly, helpful, and gave good recs on dinner and nightlife. The remainder of the staff was also friendly and gave an Aloha spirit.

Unfortunately, IMHO there are many downsides to the rooms. They are tiny for $179/night (Expedia): Two people would feel very cramped in the room. You basically walk into the room and nearly trip on the bed. In addition, there is no real closet, the air conditioner sticks out the window, and the bathroom is narrow. Additionally, one of my pillows really smelled, as though the pillow case was not changed. It also smelled on the second night. Lastly, there is no ocean view.

I would not stay here again. There are better deals in Waikiki at this price that have bars and a view.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank J P
Toronto
Reviewed 28 January 2014

What a great little hotel. I booked through Hotwire, so I didn’t know I was going to get this hotel but I’m really glad I did.

My first impression was a great one with the front desk staff. Friendly and efficient.
The room is small, and the bathrooms are very small. However, my personal “thing” with hotels is cleanliness. I don’t care if the room is big or small, it’s got to be clean. (I worked in the hotel business for 17 years, so I’m a little picky). Vive exceeded all of my expectations. There was nothing wrong with the rooms and their cleanliness. I was very impressed, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay because of the care with the room.

Vive is a select service property (No restaurant, no bar, etc). What they do offer, they do well. The continental breakfast in the morning is simple but nice. A couple types of fresh sliced fruit, a couple types of fresh pastries, coffee, tea, and juice.

The location is great. 2 minutes to the beach, and fairly central to everything else. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Minneapolis
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. Wonderful location/1 minute walk to the beach, great staff and nice amenities. Sure, $25 for parking is expensive, but every hotel charges this. The free breakfast is basic, but does what it needs to do (rolls/coffee/fruit/juices). My room was small, but nicely equipped/comfortable. I was by myself, so I did the smallest room they offered, for reference. The absolute best part of this hotel is the fact that they well let you come back later in the day after you've already checked out and park for free and use a room for free to change/shower/get arranged before you head to the airport for an overnight flight back to the mainland. This was a life savor as I was able to fully enjoy the island (swimming/getting full of sand) and then change back to my Minnesota winter-wear before heading back to the frozen tundra. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mulled01
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was our first time in Hawaii and thanks to the Vive Hotel and beautiful Waikiki, it won't be our last!
We arrived into Hawaii very early and extremely exhausted from a long flight - we were told our room would not be ready for a while but we were welcome to have breakfast and coffee...About 15 minutes later, a room was found for us. I can not express how grateful we were for that, thank you Beverley!
For the first night we stayed in a cosmopolitan room which is a good size for singles and couples. From the second night onwards, we stayed in a junior suite which really suited us (and our shopping bags!) The décor was beautiful, modern, clean and new, really lovely.
The location of the hotel is perfect, not even a 2 minute walk to the beach, main strip and endless ABC stores!
What makes the Vive Hotel really shine is its staff. I'm afraid to name people in case I leave someone out but here goes...Jacqueline has a smile for you every day, remembers what your plans are and genuinely cares about your time in Hawaii. Kevin couldn't do enough for you, you'd ask for something and in a blink of an eye Kevin had it already organised. Beverley did so much to make our stay comfortable and was extremely informative and helpful. Michael assisted us greatly with a special request that we had. The ladies that organised breakfast every morning were so beautiful and friendly, even re-ordering my favourite muffins when they had finished so I could enjoy them the next morning! If I have missed anyone, I am sorry. You are all appreciated and equally special and unique!
Thank you very much for making our stay amazing, can't wait to come back! Dario & Amalia.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple