“Far exceeded my expectations”
Review of Vive Hotel Waikiki

Vive Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 30 March 2014

First and foremost the staff from the front desk,concierge,breakfast staff and cleaning staff were all excellent. Very efficient and always with a smile. Checking in and out took only a minute. The room was not big but had everything you needed and it was cleaned,fresh towels and the bed turned down daily. For the price, it far exceeded my expectations. Will stay here whenever I come back and will recommend it to anyone who is coming to this paradise. Thank you Vive staff for a wonderful stay at your hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
There are newer reviews for Vive Hotel Waikiki

Reviewed 30 March 2014

A good base for exploring waikiki, just a couple of blocks back from the beach and right in the heart of everything you might need. A very smart looking hotel with a clean and cosy room, it was a pleasure to return to after being out exploring all day. The only minor grumble i had was the traffic noise, which even from up on floor 14 was still a bit loud, but probably not enough to put me off staying there again.
The staff were always friendly, polite and helpful. One minor issue was being mistakenly woken at 4am on my second night with a wake up call mistakenly being logged for my room, but was made up for with a box of chocolates and a letter of apology. These things happen.
I'd be happy to return anytime.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tw2310
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

This small hotel was just to our liking and started our Hawaiian trip off to a wonderful start. We stayed here at the beginning and the end of our holiday and neither time disappointed us. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Especially Jackie the concierge who assisted us to get married in Waikiki beach with only a few days notice. Had it not been for her our marriage would not have come off. We will be eternally grateful to her!!
The hotel lobby is modern and welcoming with comfortable lounges and furniture. The continental breakfast is a great way to start the day.
We had 2 rooms and both had everything one could need with a comfortable bed and a spacious bathroom.
The location is ideal - a block back from the main road along the beach with good bus access just outside the door. This location is convenient to everything in Waikiki.
If you are planning an active holiday where you only sleep in your hotel then this is ideal. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

What this hotel lacks in size and amenities it makes up for in customer services. The rooms a very small and dark but location is only three blocks from the Waikiki beach. The front staff were very helpful. They suggested great places to eat and and shop. They also helped us organize getting around without a car. Having access to beach chairs, towel and boggie boards was an unexpected bonus.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MauiGirl2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great place to start and end a long vacation at. There is a free breakfast each morning and free internet in all the rooms. The rooms are small, but you will not stay there long. The beach is less than 2 blocks from the hotel and they provide towels, chairs and/or umbrellas if you wish (all for free). There is parking, but only via valet parking for $25 a day. It is well worth it for that section of town if you have a car, as they allow multiple in and out privileges and can use it as much as you wish.

Only bad part is that there isn't any fitness center of any sort at the hotel or nearby.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Poor customer service, was lied to about the total cost of the trip on several occasions, the room was tiny and did NOT look anything like the room pics potrayed on this site, housekeeping left dirty plates in our room, they charged $25/day for Valet Parking- No you can't park your own vehicle, our vehicle was not ready when we requested it and at other times the valet attendant was not present upon returning to the hotel, they turned off our air conditioning EVERYDAY when we left to explore the island. Needless to say this was a terrible hotel experience. I would NOT recommend this hotel to ANYBODY.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank James W
Daniel S, Manager at Vive Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear James W,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding your experience. For better or worse, we always welcome feedback from our guests as they are a key component in influencing the evolution of the Vive Hotel. I would like to address some of your concerns as it had me baffled that your experience was so terrible.

With over 150 reviews, majority of which are positive ratings, I assure you that we never lied about the total cost of your trip. It was made clear through your email conversation with the Guest Services Manager the grand total of your stay was acknowledged yet there was still difficulty understanding the breakdown. We never charged a penny more than what was owed, Mr. James W. I will not go into the matter in detail as this had already been discussed. If our business practice was indeed so poor, we would never be able to achieve being in the top 10 of Trip Advisor.

As opposed to tiny, our rooms are cozy and intimate. We openly state the size of our rooms at 210 sq. feet on our website so that clients are fully aware and not caught off guard. While some travelers research their travel destinations, we understand that some clearly do not, however we make our best effort to give accurate descriptions on our site. Now whether this tool is used or not is out of our control. It is also mentioned by numerous previous travelers that our rooms are not exactly large.

Waikiki is filled with numerous high rise buildings and with thousands of tourist flocking Waikiki, parking is a premium and very scarce. That being said, it is only natural from a business standpoint that we charge for parking. Our website states the valet parking fee is $25 and it does not state anywhere that we have self parking in which you can park yourself. Should you become a frequent traveler to Waikiki, you will come to a realization that our valet rates are actually lower than other resorts and properties. I do apologize the valet attendant was not always there upon your return but please understand there are other vehicles they have to retrieve and park as well. With our effective system we have in place, it would be a great surprise to me if you ever had to wait more than a few minutes upon your return or have your car retrieved.

The air conditioner concern has been duly noted. I understand there was one occurrence in which the housekeeping staff had turned off the air conditioning unit and forgot to turn it back on. From that incident on, we made sure that the housekeepers always left your air conditioner on.
We pride ourselves on customer service here at Vive Hotel Waikiki. The preceding reviews since we opened in July 2013 should testify to that. We care about each and every past, present and future guests that we encounter and do our utmost best to ensure guests enjoy their stay. My apologies again that your stay was not satisfying. My hope is that this clears up some of the concerns you mentioned.

Kind regards,
D. Sakakibara

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I recently traveled to Honolulu on a business trip and after reviewing many hotels in the Waikiki area I decided to go with the Vive Hotel. I was very please with the location as it was centered just a few blocks from the beach and walking distance from several great restaurants as well as world class shopping. Most important was the very friendly and helpful staff at the hotel! Just a few days after I arrived, they knew me by my name and were always eager to assist with any of my needs.

The hotel has a beautiful lobby and sitting area where I was able to meet with clients or enjoy a continental breakfast of fresh fruit, pastries, coffee or tea. The basic rooms were modern, very clean but depending on what you want, could be a little on the small side. However, I do know larger rooms and suites are available if your looking for more space.

Another great feature about the Vive is they have a courtesy room that you can reserve if you have a late flight. On the last day, I was able to check out of my room, spend time enjoying the day at the beach and return to shower and change for a late night flight

If you looking for a quiet, personal and well located hotel, I would recommend the Vive to anyone.

Room Tip: A room with 2 double beds are fine for kids but too small for adults.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business