“cold towel & pineapple juice on check in”
Review of Vive Hotel Waikiki

Vive Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We only stayed 1 night, but we were impressed, my wife and I were greeted with a cold towel and pineapple juice, on check in, the room was nice, clean, and comfortable, The lobby was very impressive, seemed like a place to hang out, they did offer us beach equipment, not sure exactly how far the beach is, but they have everything you need. Parking was 25 dollars a day, I've paid more at other places, but the parking attendant "Ty", who also brought our bags to the room, what a nice, courteous, and helpful employee...he really made an impression... we were having problems with the key, when he arrived with our bags, he got the key to work, but went downstairs got us 2 new keys to be sure, and brought us a bag of ice for the room. Then when we went out for dinner that night, he got us our car, asked where we were going and if we needed directions, and when we got back, asked how dinner was and just very friendly... and on check out, the girl at the front desk, again very friendly, had our car waiting for us..only stayed one night, very impressive, friendly staff, and the entire place is run very efficiently...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 325GaryM2014

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week in early June 2014. We've been to Waikiki quite a few times in the past and have always stayed at hotels that are closer to the ocean and have more of a resort feel. I knew that Vive Hotel was not a resort, but was I wasn't expecting it to feel so un-Hawaiian. The hotel was clean and modern, but it could have been located anywhere in the country...there was no Hawaiian feel or decor anywhere to be found. There's nothing in the place that says "You're in Hawaii!" I'm sure that works for some people, but my wife and I found this to be a big downer.

Our room seemed smaller than any other hotel we've stayed at before. That didn't bother us too much though. The bed was very comfortable and everything seemed to be super clean. We did find ourselves longing for a balony/lanai so we could walk outside and enjoy the breeze and fresh air. We also found the sink area in the bathroom to be awkwardly small. I bumped my head on the shelf several times due to the tight layout.

The best part of our experience at Vive Hotel was the great service we received. The people there are very friendly and accommodating and always seem to have smiles on their faces. The worst part was that our room was located in an area of the hotel that was under construction. The carpet in our hallway was covered with plastic for the entire week we were there, making it seem like we were staying in a construction zone. Also, there were sounds of drilling and sawing coming from the rooms across the hall from us on a few days we were wanting to sleep in a little.

So, in summary, the place was just not for us. It would have gotten a 4 out of 5 if it weren't for the construction zone feel of the room we stayed in. If you're looking for a clean hotel that has a modern feel and is centrally located, then this place is worth a try. If you prefer a more Hawaiian-feeling hotel for your Hawaiian vacation or if you prefer a normal-sized room or lanai, then this place is not for you.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kristopher P
Daniel S, Front Office Manager at Vive Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Kristopher P,
Aloha and thank you for choosing Vive Hotel Waikiki for your recent trip to Oahu. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to write your review and providing comments about our property.
As you mentioned, our boutique hotel is aimed for a modern trendy décor as opposed the typical Hawaiian floral print you will find at all the surrounding resorts and hotels. While this is attractive to some guests, it can also work the other way around for other guests as well.
Our rooms are cozy and as you mentioned, a bit on the smaller side. We do try our best to utilize and maximize space with what we have while still providing reasonable space. I apologize about this and hope this did not heavily impact your stay in a negative manner.
I am delighted to read the service you received was a positive one. All of our staff genuinely enjoy assisting guests to ensure they can make the most of their vacation and travels. One of many of our valued asset.
All in all, your feedback greatly valued and is duly noted, it is with your comments that we can improve in areas that need perfection.
On behalf of staff and management, thank you again and we hope your return visit to Oahu was an excellent one. Take care.

Mahalo,
M. Otto.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights here and truly enjoyed it. I came in with high expectations but this hotel was everything I thought it would be. Great location in the heart of Waikiki but tucked away from the hustle of Kalakaua Ave. Walking distance to the beach, shopping, and restaurants. Good location to head off on adventures as you don't get stuck in traffic like other hotels, but bus stops are near by too if your not renting a car. I have stayed at a few boutique hotels in Waikiki and this one I feel has the best value for all the amenities included. As other travelers mentioned, the rooms are on the smaller side, but who wants to stay inside while vacationing in Hawaii anyways. The room was tastefully decorated, clean, modern, well appointed, and included everything you would need. I didn't interact much with the staff but when I did they were always very friendly. I will definitely recommend this hotel and will be sure to stay here again on my next getaway!

Room Tip: Request a quiet room on higher floors
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank CS1107
Daniel S, Manager at Vive Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear CS1107,
Thank you for taking your time to post your comments about your recent stay with us here at Vive Hotel Waikiki.
I am very glad to hear that you found us to be a great value for what we offer, I would have to concur with you as well. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we truly hope to see you again in the near future.
Thank you again and take care.

D. Sakakibara

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is wonderful!. The rooms were very clean, comfortable beds and most respectful and courteous staff. Continental breakfast was okay. Beach is two blocks away, shops two blocks over. Our first trip to Hawaii was nice but the hotel was terrible it was called the Castle back then, the name has changed since then.The Vive is a wonderful hotel and we stay here agai.

Room Tip: No swimming pool, but thats good becasue the beach is two blocks down the street. Staff is top notch...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelgirl277
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Vive is a solid choice for those who don't need many amenities but want a great location. you are just 2 mins (walking) to the beach. Rooms come with free wifi, the lobby is NEVER crowded and has a very lounge-y feel. Overall, I enjoyed my stay there.

Pros:
The hotel made check in very easy.
They have Valet (I think it's roughly $18/day).
They serve a light breakfast of pastries.
Also, they have tons of stuff to borrow for the beach including Boogie Boards and Towels. Boogie Boards are fantastic!

Cons:
Rooms are on the smaller side. But who stays in their room when their on vacay?
The breakfast is light and consists mainly of pastries so if you want something substantial you should probably just snack there.
We had a room on the 15th floor. With the window open, you could hear people early in the AM but you'd simply need to close the window to keep the quiet.

I'd suggest staying here although one thing to keep in mind is that we stayed on a Groupon which really made it worth while.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I absolutely loved staying at this hotel. Comfortable and tastefully decorated rooms, very clean and well maintained. When I arrived, they upgraded me to a suite because of my disability. Very friendly front desk staff (including Samantha and Tai), Concierge and Housekeeping who were so kind and helpful. Great location, literally a few minutes from the beach, buses, local shops and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again and will absolutely recommend Vive Hotel Waikiki to family and friends. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Daniel S, Owner at Vive Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Aloha Moriamb,
Thank you for choosing Vive Hotel for your travels to our beautiful tropical island.
It is a pleasure to hear your interaction with our staff was a positive one. Our staff is truly the cream of the crop of our property and I hope they were able to share the Aloha spirit with you.
On behalf of staff and management, thank you again and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Kind regards,
D. Sakakibara

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the VIVE for two nights prior to departing for our Hawaii cruise. I came across this hotel via hotwire.com and got an amazing rate for our room. We were very impressed with the hotel and it's location. As mentioned in other reviews; the rooms are a bit "cozy" or small, but they were well appointed, clean, and suited our needs just fine. We had a view of Waikiki Beach from our room and it was just a convenient 2 block walk to the beach, and very close to restaurants and shopping. I was also pleasantly surprised with how quiet the room was. I did not hear noise from other rooms or from the busy street below us. The customer service of the hotel was excellent. The staff were always willing to give recommendations, directions, etc. They even had beach equipment to sign out and use free of charge. They also stored our bags for us on check out day until we were ready to leave Waikiki and board our cruise. The city bus stops right next to the hotel; which was great because we did not have a rental car for our time. We took the bus to Hanauma Bay to go snorkeling and Diamond Head to hike the crater.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple