“Exquisite”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lewers Street
Description: Award-winning restaurant featuring exquisite Neoclassic French cuisine, oceanfront views. Hawaii’s longest-running AAA Five Diamond restaurant, since 1990, and the only restaurant in Hawaii to be awarded a Five-Star designation by Forbes Travel Guide. Recognized as the finest restaurant in Honolulu, La Mer captures the elegance and romance of Halekulani. Its internationally acclaimed menu features local, tropical ingredients in dishes inspired by flavors from France. Elegant evening attire for women. Dinner jackets or dress shirts, dress slacks and shoes for gentlemen. Reservations recommended. Open daily from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. As an elegant fine dining restaurant, La Mer restricts patrons to adults and children 8 years or older.
Reviewed 11 May 2014

One of the finest restaurants in Oahu with first class cuisine and service and one of the most breathtaking views we have seen.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I decided to answer a many year call to dine at La Mer. We loved it. While enjoying a few days at the Halekulani celebrating our anniversary and on our last night secured a table at La Mer. The setting is beautiful, plenty of room between tables meaning you get to enjoy the pacific while only hearing your conversation and not those of the surrounding tables. The service was excellent, the sommelier offered and we accepted a decanting ( it needed it), the menu and plates were well explained, and the staff met every request. (Though there were not many)
The food: I went with the 4 course and my wife enjoyed the 3. We loved the food. A couple highlights from my meal were the bouillabaisse and the foie gras/ wagyu. Can I just come back and have those as a new two course meal? Serious food my friends, the Chef nailed the flavors on these and all dishes we enjoyed that evening.
Just a side note if your there on a Friday night around 8 or 9 you're going to see a lot of people walking ewa. Just around the corner you can see the HHV Friday night firework show, but we made the right choice and remained seated enjoying one of the best plates Hawaii has to offer.
This has been my review...as for my lovely wife? When I asked where would she like to go for dinner on her birthday?
The reply?

La Mer

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We didnt do the fix menu because we had a late night reservation but I had a 3 course and my husband a 4 course dinner and everything was so delicious! portions are perfect not to small not too big and service impecable!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have regularly dined here for 15 years. The new menu lacks many of our long held favorites such as the assiete gourmand with mussel soup, as well as complexity. That said the desserts were far too complicated to be understood or appealing - pea berry coffee rhubarb coconut etc with no comfort food options such as a dark chocolate decadence. The menu did not make clear that there was still a cheese course offered. The wines by the glass <were extremely limited and disappointing. The option for $150 5 oz glasses of wine seemed a cruel experiment. One could choose either <$30 per glass wine that was too tannic or the $150 per glass option. The previous menu included a reliably good Celebration blended cab. The breads offered also lacked the appeal of the previous selection.

1  Thank angel99anne
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

If you are enjoying your vacation don't bother with this place. Made a reservation 2 months ago. Arrived on time to find I was not properly dressed. Wearing black shorts and a nice shirt and shoes. Wow. Iam on vacation! They never told me or said anything about long pants being required. Avoid this stuck up place

3  Thank Jubutld