“Wonderful surprise”

Ranked #391 of 2,337 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Maui, Hawaii
“Wonderful surprise”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were hungry and were looking for a bite to grab, nothing special in mind. Driving by we saw the sign FOOK YUEN, SEAFOOD RESTAURANT in a small strip mall on the second floor. Nothing special we though, but who knows. The place is clean, not much decorated, but has windows all around which helps. In the entrance a tank full of lobsters. They had the LOBSTER SPECIAL for $ 10.99.- (one per customer only). We ordered the lobster and two other dishes (Egg Plant and Pork). I guess they do not make money with the lobsters (how could they?) but with the other dishes. Soon there was not an empty table in the place. Unbeknownst to us, the place is a hit with the Chinese community and Chinese tourists. The food was delicious, the service very good and the prices more than reasonable. WQe paid for the three dishes plus tea and two Tsingtao beers about $ 50.- Boy what a deal. This place now is on our list for best restaurants in town.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Peter T

• Korean first
Honolulu
“Nice spot.”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

They have ten dollar lobster which is pretty much the reason to go, I feel like it's a runner up to Panda Cuisine or Lobster King.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Matthew F
San Diego, California
“Best lobster I've ever had”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

maybe service and atmosphere is not that good, but the food is just super good. I likes the lobster here a lot, have to recommend it to all my friend, this restaurant gives my trip of Hawaii a perfect ending. I'm a Chinese, if you like chinese food, it's the place to go.

• Visited November 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“do not eat here”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Food is okay. If you order the lobster special with more than one lobster, be warned that they only give you the head & tail of the lobster, not the body part.

Like other reviewers said, the facilities are dirty & do not follow health regulations. The area around the restaurant is shady. Unless you drive or take the cab there, I wouldn't recommend you walk there.

When we received the bill, they tried to impose a 15% tip after tax. I always read my bills & receipts carefully. Our party was less than 10 people so they shouldn't have added the tip in advance. When I asked the manager,he was yelling at the waiters & they all acted stupid like they can't figure out why the tip was added. I asked the manager if it is their policy to impose a 15% tip, he said it'sonly for party of 10 people or more. I had the impression that they add 15% tip regardless of the party's size in the hope that customers won't read their bills.

I was hesitant about coming here to eat after reading themixed reviews here. I only came because the cab driver assured me this is thebest chinese restaurant. I've had better chinese food.

I do not recommend this restaurant at all.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank suziecute91
“Do not go, ever!”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Food was decent but business & health rules & regulations are NOT FOLLOWED. On the day of our family reunion, the restaurant's toilets were backed up. Raw sewage was flowing in the parking lot, landscaped ground & the street.

The shopping center did not close any shops or restaurants; dangerously putting profit over people's health. Nobody notified the authorities or the patrons until MUCH LATER. We unknowingly stepped & drove though the sewage, contaminating our cars, shoes & clothing.

This kind of egregious irresponsibilty is unforgivable. Claims of disinfections aside, I shall not eat in that restaurant again.

• Visited August 2013