“Great food . . great music”
Review of Chai's Island Bistro - CLOSED

Chai's Island Bistro
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We are Hawaiian Music lovers and Chai's didn't disappoint. We spent 2 different evenings there for both dinner and the evening's local music. The table was ours for the entire evening - 3 sets of music and the food was great.

They also serve half portions of several entree's so we mixed and matched and enjoyed a wide variety of food.

1  Thank Stuart L
There are newer reviews for Chai's Island Bistro

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Went to Chai's with friends and tried the group dinner. There were 6 of us and cost $52 per person. We sampled 3 appetizers (tiger prawns, king crab cakes, ahi katsu), 6 entrees (mahi curry, grilled salmon, osso buco, spicy prawns, steak bites, duck), and 6 desserts (white choc creamsicle, key lime cake, creme brulee, cheesecake, tiramisu, choc pyramid). It's on their menu and served family style. Delicious and fun!

1  Thank ldjm
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We had dinner here with a couple of Australian friends on a cruise with us. They have not been favorably impressed with the food in America until this restaurant. We had shrimp and steak and ribs and everybody raved about their dish. Each of us thought we had had the best meal ever. The wait staff were personable and available but not hovering, the food was creative and done to perfection, we had a table outside and could listen to the live music without being overwhelmed by it. It was a perfect end to our only day in Honolulu. We would definitely come back! Even better it was very convenient to our cruise ship (we're on a round the world cruise).

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I went to Chai's Bistro recently, and I went there based on the fact I would be able to see Hawaiian legends The Brothers Cazimero play there.

I was able to place my reservation with Chai through email, which he was nice enough to do. I made it clear I would be there by myself on vacation, and I was very specific about wanting to see the Brothers Caz in my communication with him. So I was surprised and annoyed to see when I arrived, I was given a table far off to the side, where I would have to look sideways to see them play, not in front of the house speakers and not have a nice view of them. There were other tables closer that did not have people in them, so I was very surprised I got pretty much the worst seat there, when the owner knew I was coming to see the band play.

I'm not going to write a false review and slag the food or anything, and my server was good. I had a starter (ahi), main (mahi mahi) and dessert (pineapple coconut macadamia tart) as well as a couple adult beverages. Along with a nice tip. Having said that, why would the owner shunt me off to the side when he knew it was important to me... it doesn't speak to the personal care level that a higher priced venue in Honolulu should have.

As for the Brothers Caz, they were great! It was awesome watching them sideways, I was grateful to see them play at all. They played their well known songs as well as others not as well known. It should be noted, there was no interaction which was disappointing for a big fan, and they played exactly to the minute and not a second over of their required time slot.

I was very hesitant deciding between 2 and 3 star, but in the end, as a patron who spent a Lot in their establishment, and was clear about why I was coming, the lack of care brought the overall experience to poor. Sorry Chai.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

My husband and I were warmly greeted and subsequent service was very attentive. We each had the 5 course tasting menu on a Monday - it is only offered 3 days a week. Everything was delicious - nothing too salty as mentioned on other reviews. The oxtail soup was fantastic and sadly not in the cookbook. Also delicious was the salad - which is pictured on the cover of the cookbook. We sat on the patio and had a lovely evening. I am looking forward to returning. Dana C, Rocky River, OH