“Dont believe all the bad reports” 5 of 5 bubbles

La Cucaracha Mexican Bar & Grill
Ranked #1,708 of 2,326 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Waikiki
Camelford, United Kingdom
“Dont believe all the bad reports”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Found this restaurant on our fist night and used it another two times and on each occasion the food and service was excellent and would reccomend it to anyone.

• Visited October 2011

• Korean first
Wollongong, Australia
“Good food & great sevice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

We have been to this restaurant before and being back in Waikiki decided to go there again as last time the food had been great. We walked in off the street and got seating in the outdoor area with no problem even thought they were a bit busy. Service was great, we took our time to order but never felt rushed. We ordered our drinks and mains, after the order was put in the waiter bought out a bowl if corn chips (made there) and salsa which was very nice and more than enough. I ordered chicken mole and my partner had a prawn (shrimp) dish. There was plenty to eat in both dishes, the mole was absolutely beautiful! Being full from our mains and the chips we didn't order anymore food but had another drink and sat for a while. The staff were very attentive and service was great, loved the food and certainly didn't leave hungry! Can't complain about the price, we thought it was reasonable. Will be back if we're in Waikiki again. Cheers

• Visited June 2011
Port Orange, Florida
“Avoid this one you can do better in Waikiki”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Overpriced and the food was not very good considering the fierce competition in Waikiki. No wonder the place was almost empty when we wandered in onenight last month. Had the fahijitas, usually a safe choice in any new Mexican place - but these were completely uninspiring at $20 buck each! Slim on meat(s), heavy on green peppers and onions. Not served with any shredded cheeses, either. Atmosphere is fair - 2d floor with some interesting decor and music fine. Not on the beach. I'd leave this place to the college kids next time - we won't be going back.

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kissimmee, Florida
“Mediocre Service & Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

First night in Waikiki happened upon this place. Big mistake not to ask the hotel for recommendations. Well the food was edible but not good. Tasteless really. I had the taco salad with chicken and I am pretty sure the chicken came from a can. My spouse had the fajita's which he said were good, but they were really skimpy with the portion of chicken. He asked to buy another grilled chicken breast and they refused. How ridiculous! Most establishments want to sell food anyway they can. The service is slow but they give you a small portion of chips and salsa to share. Also, the meals are overpriced for the portion size you get. The only positive is the place is actually pretty cute. It is on the second floor with some open air seating as well as covered. Unfortunately, there isn't a view of anything worth seeing. If your looking for authentic mexican cuisine, I would definitely look elsewhere.

• Visited August 2011
Denver, Colorado
“Mediocre service to accompany mediocre food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

We were not impressed right off the bat when our waiter got irritated with us because I ordered the "wrong" soda for my friend while she went to the restroom. (which are quite scary...but I'll get to those later) When she returned from the restroom and asked for a different kind of soda, the waiter said, "So, what do you expect me to do with this?!" He acted extremely put out and said he didn't know if he could exchange it for a different type of soda. He did go and speak to the manager who apparently said OK to the soda exchange so my friend could have what she wanted. I know from working in restaurants myself that there is a huge upcharge on soda and it's one of the cheapest things for the restaurants to buy, so I'm not sure why this was such a huge deal. Regardless...the waiter acted annoyed with us throughout the rest of our time there. The food was just OK. They brought a SMALL basket of chips and salsa after we ordered. There were *maybe* 15 chips in the basket. When we ran out of chips and asked for more, the waiter said there was a $1.50 if we wanted more. There are no refills on soda, by the way. I was afraid to ask for hot sauce because I thought there would be a charge for that, too. The restrooms are located downstairs outside of the building in a very secluded area. I went down to use them but I did not feel comfortable at all. It would have been easy for someone to trap me inside the restroom and not be seen or heard by anyone. You have to go into a secluded hallway by entering a code and then enter the restroom around the corner.

• Visited July 2011