Location. The Hokulani Hilton is literally at the crossroads of the most significant shopping in Waikiki: Beachwalk (a nicely landscaped two level shopping arcade that extends about 200 meters to the path leading to Waikiki beach, hence the name), the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, DFS Duty Free Mall and Luxury Row. At night, the area is festive, bright and celebratory.
The lobby of the hotel is up the glass canopied escalator which is a part of the two level Beach Walk. One level above the busy intersection, the lobby is private and serene. An outdoor water landscape with waterfalls and torches at dusk and lounge area extends beyond the lobby.
Just off the lobby is a nice "pick and go" cafe with an indoor/outdoor seating area that looks onto the busy intersection below. However, the selection of cold sandwiches is weak and it was iffy as to whether someone was staffing this area or not. Guests migrated over there for the complementary chilled lemon water.
My guess is that the management still needs to figure out how best to use this facility. It's a pity cause this area is so nice and sorely underused. Previous review written in February 2014 said that they provided alcohol till 6PM. Did not see that on our week long stay. Seems to be part of the resort opening shake out. Agree with previous owner that a bar or a breakfast concept would be great here, too underused and desolate.
The rooftop lounge is well done. The previous reviewer said that the cabanas were rented out at $200/day in February 2014, by the time we got here in July, the cabanas were free and well used.
The sun deck has plush and comfortable chaises. But it was curious to me as to why there were no sun umbrellas. Again, the previous reviewer mentioned that there were staff to help set you up with towels and umbrellas. There were no staff or umbrellas on our visit. Guests were lying with their heads underneath the chaise tables for shade, a sad site.
The plunge pool was good enough for what it was. We though it was unfortunate that the length of the pool which could've easily been design as a lap pool was literally divided into halves by a raised portion in the middle, very odd.
We were sold on the property and became owners primarily because of the one bedroom suites. The interior design is well done with sleek modern appointment that still manages to be warm and luxurious. Kudos to the interior designer, well done.
The bathroom is gorgeous. Take a look at the jaw dropping stand alone tub that doubles as sculpture. The water literally falls from the ceiling. Turn on the in mirror tv as you sit at the vanity - wow. The bedroom and living room furniture and appointment is elegant. We appreciated the ample closet space during our week long stay as we were able to properly put away our luggage.
The living room has an electronics, mp3 and radio gadget which is a bit subpar to the overall high quality of the unit, very weak speakers. The unit has multiple outlets to recharge all your different phones which was appreciated. Nice to have though.
The kitchen concept is "adult themed" rather than family friendly. We loved staying at the nearby Grand Waikikian because of its full kitchen which sometimes felt too large and a bit too suburban. The Hokulani managed to tame it a bit in a more sophisticated rendition of a kitchenette. However, our complaints are thus:
1. Fridge though pretty with the transparent front is too small. For families like us who stay for a week and cook a lot, a half fridge is a wee bit tight.
2. The stainless steel freezer broke during our stay. Also, because it is set into the bottom of the cabinetry, the drawers above were very warm from the freezer motor. It's nice to have an in suite ice maker, too bad ours did not work. Called the house engineers three times.
3. Rather than having a standard coffee maker, capsule coffee makers are provided. They give you 3 caf and 3 decaf. The rest you have to buy downstairs at the cafe. We could not find the appropriate capsules at the market.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ease into an unforgettable Hawaii vacation at Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations. This all-suite hotel boasts a fabulous location, just steps from the famous Waikiki Beach, in the heart of Waikiki's shopping and entertainment area. Enjoy the freedom to live at your own pace in one of the 143 spacious one-bedroom suites at Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations. Prepare meals in the fully-equipped kitchen and relax in your living and dining space, or look out on the city from your Juliet-style lanais. Lounge in the Hawaii sunshine, cool off with a refreshing dip in the rooftop plunge pool, or re-energize with a workout at the modern fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hokulani Waikiki By Hilton Grand Vacations Hawaii/Honolulu