“Morocco in Honolulu”
Review of Kan Zaman

Kan Zaman
Reserve with OpenTable
Kan Zaman is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #289 of 2,405 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Lebanese, Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Morocco in Honolulu”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My daughter and I read about Kan Zaman in the paper and wanted to try it. We are big hummus eaters at home and thought we'd foray into the culture a bit more. Small, clean, beautifully decorated with appropriate background music, we opted to eat indoors rather than the patio because it was literally boiling outside. The iced mint moroccan tea, refilled constantly, hit the spot. Our servers were polite, enthusiastic and happy to help us decide on lunch. I settled on the lamb kebab with grilled lamb, tahini sauce, hummus on pita with greens tossed in a mild vinaigrette. My daughter went for the Falafel: fried chickpea patties, tahini sauce, on pita with greens. I read other reviews that mentioned the food is not as spicy or realistic as real Moroccan cuisine, but honestly, it was just right for us. We will definitely return - with friends - and eat on the patio! no liquor license so BYOB.

• Visited October 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Moroccan Food in Chinatown”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

After many Asian meals, we were craving something different - meaty and spicy. Kan Zaman hit the spot in many ways. The menu has all the classic Mediterranean dishes - tabouleh, Moroccan salad, hummus, babaganoush, felafel as appetizers and lamb tagine, lamb or veg couscous and beef kebab entrees among them. We ordered a lot of dishes between the 4 of us and shared everything. I especially liked the beef kebab. The chunks of beef were well spiced and cooked medium, to order, accompanied by rice, hummus, tabouleh and pita bread. Over all this was a very pleasant, satisfying, moderately priced dining experience.

Making it even better - its BYOB.

• Visited October 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
“Excellent ,authentic Middle Eastern fare with top service”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I had an opportunity to try this restaurant last night (Friday). We were welcomed at the door and immediately seated. We knew that they had a very nice courtyard seating in the back of the restaurant and they happily accommodated us. The service was outstanding all night. Our waiter gladly opened a bottle of wine that we had brought with us. No corkage fee was levied on our tab. We shared the beef kabob plate. The food seemed to be seasoned just right , not to salty or hot for our tastes. Chef Kamal came to our table twice to chat with us. Our server was very efficient and pleasant as well . We also had the hummus plate and the lentil soup, both very good. These selections were reasonably priced. We both felt that this restaurant was an excellent addition to the many choices we have in downtown Honolulu.

3 Thank hawnsteeldoc
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kan Zaman”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Bad Experience, will never go back again. I went with my son with high hopes after reading the reviews written on this new Morrocon restaurant in town. Food was tatseless, over priced and small portion.( I know what Morrocoan food taste )

1 Thank Adly M
Honolulu, Hawaii
“A Feast for the Senses.”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had a solo dinner at Kan Zaman on their opening night. What struck me first was the genuine friendliness of the staff. I was offered to sit in the outdoor patio, a cosy area decorated with simplicity and good taste, Moroccan style with great music playing. You suddenly feel like you have landed in an exotic place, without the 24 hour flight.. :-) I had the lentil soup (pureed) with fresh herbs and spices, tasty and healthy. Next, I tried babaganoush (eggplant puree) served with pita. Unlike lentil soup that I could eat every day, charcoal grilled eggplant is not my favorite thing so I was curious to taste it. I really liked it ; the olive oil, lemon juice and tahini were perfectly blended. I then ate a Taktouka (cooked salad made of tomatoes, bell peppers, olive oil, spices and herbs). It was recommended by one of the server for its freshness, he was right. The food is made to order, so everything is fresh. As for drinks, I had the iced Moroccan mint tea (I love mint), slightly sweeten (my server offered to remake it to my liking if needed). I also had a (directly shipped from Morocco by Chef Kamal’s mother and beautifully carved) pot of hot mint tea ... heavenly. At this point I was really full so I decided to have baklavas to go. I am usually hesitant because they are always too sweet. However, since everything so far had been perfect I gave it a try. They were simply exquisite. Almost too good actually, I ended up craving for more. Both Chef Youssef and Chef Kamal made their customers feel valued by acknowledging them as soon as possible. They also came back and check on every dish making sure everybody was happy. The servers were amazing too, not only attending to their assigned tables but to every guest as well. They were eager to help, cheerful and courteous. I had a wonderful experience at Kan Zaman (which by the way means "Once upon a time"). Located on Nu'uanu street next to HPU where I work, I'll be able to unwind in their mini oasis backyard during y lunch break. I will definitely bring my friends very soon to share a couscous and a tajine. One more thing that was such a sweet touch, Chef Kamal bid his customers farewell by sprinkling orange blossom water into their hands. Amazing fragrance and perfect hand freshener.

5 Thank Sarah_Pouzet