“Service was great, food a bit pricey.”
Review of Formaggio Wine Bar

Formaggio Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Formaggio Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #722 of 2,430 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Description: Voted Hawaii's Best Wine Bar five years in a row, this intimate hideaway is sure to please your palate with its casual gourmet fare and over 50 wines by the glass. Just minutes from Waikiki, join us for fantastic food and wine pairings. Daily pau hana appetizer specials and vegetarian entrees good enough to convert any meat lover!
Reviewed 22 August 2011

If you've been to a wine bar in Wine Country, then this place will be just ok for you. The service was great, our waiter seemed pretty knowledgeable about wines..although we mentioned we wanted to sample sweet wines, he recommended three...two were sweet and one tasted like a Pinot Grigio. The other two recommendations were great. The food although good, was a bit pricey. Ambience nice. We went on a Monday night, it wasn't crowded when we arrived at 6PM, but when we left, the restaurant was 1/3 full. We liked the atmosphere better at this location versus the Kailua location which often times is sooo crowded.

1  Thank TravelWithCameraHI

Reviewed 6 May 2011

Be aware of Formaggio, unless you would like to see a circus act. In the center ring of a three ring circus, a bar tender, a manager in accompany, who have no knowledge of wine nor their menu-- making up a slew of excuses for their lack, better yet, no knowledge of wine and their menu. Sadly, they reminded me of a bunch of circus carnies-- the ignorance which poured from their mouths played out like a bunch of clowns exiting a mini austin.
For lack of a better word...... B.S.
My wife and I recently visited this so called wine bar and we were greeted by a less than cordial bartendress, who i might add, when asked by my wife"What's the meaning of Wine Time on your menu?", her response was "ummm I'm not sure"
At this time, haven been to many wine bars and vineyards around the world, this rose a red flag, "humm,......she doesn't even know the menu?" I quickly shrugged it off.....
I then ordered a wonderful 2005 Blackstone reserve pinot noir and to my amazement the sleeve was already removed, in fact there was no wine presentation at all--she just popped the cork and poured a taster
"A WINE BAR, NO WINE PRESENTATION, AM I IN THE RIGHT PLACE, IS THIS OUTBACK. HAVE THEY SEEN SIDEWAYS."
Following this embarrassment, fighting the urge to get up and leave, i noticed the year on the bottle was 2009 and on the menu 2005, i"m sorry WTF. I quickly brought it to the bartenders attention and her response was "thats all we have" i said "so you really don"t know your menu--REALLY A WINE BAR. She quickly passed her dirty laundry off with a holly than thou attitude to her manager, who, i feel had a back ground established at the local crab shack, corn dogs and fine wine--began to run off excuses to this oversight, as if i was standing on line at a major airlines ticket agent asking why my flight was cancelled for the 2nd time.
In short, my worst experience, embarrassing for hawaii, and i wouldn't recommended this place to my local wino....
Another embarrassing experience for people visiting to hawaii, we cant even get a wine bar right......
cordially dismal foreboding

1  Thank pilau7873
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We went last sunday, 7 of us - 4 adults, 3 kids. There were 6 other patrons, a couple came 15mn after us and got their food before. My daughter who ordered plain white pasta was the last one to be be served! Com'on, how hard is it to cook pasta?! My meat tasted old, was tough and overcooked. Everyone else liked their food. The chocolate cake was delicious.

Reviewed 11 March 2009

Intimate wine bar paired w/decent tapas fare

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 26 June 2008

cute ambience, good wines, nice and cozy little spot ^^

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook