“Terrible service and a reservation still got us a table in the storage hallway”
Review of Cafe Sistina

Cafe Sistina
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Sistina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #748 of 2,370 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Pinole, California
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We had reservations for when they first opened at 11:30 AM and we were like the second group inside so why were we were put in the worst table- in a hallway that was being used as storage. The place never was full so we could not see why we could not have been put in the main dining room- especially since that stuff being stored there next to the table made it almost impossible for my father in his wheelchair to fit in without dragging the wheelchair sideways into place (I hurt my back doing it). I think a WWII vet deserves better. And a fire marshall would have cited them for making a exit area so narrow because of the stored stuff and table (I was once a store manager). The service was one of the worst we have ever had. Other reviews I have read raved of unlimited bread- we only got one skinny short average tasting loaf for 6 people - so that meant some of us only got one tiny slice the size of a large walnut. The appetizer - antipasto plate of cheeses and sliced meat we ordered took about 40 minutes to show up and that was only because we had to ask about it = the waiter had forgotten about it. All this was happening when the there were very few people there. We did not appreciate having to wait over an hour for the entrees either. We have eaten at almost every Italian restaurant on Oahu in the past half a century and we were not impressed with the food. Most of us only could eat half of the entree dishes we ordered because it all tasted bland. The cherry cheesecake we all tried a bite of and found it strange tasting. The tiramisu - I had better and my mother who loves desserts- she had to try it for the first time- she was not impressed. Our waiter did not bother to even attempt refilling my Ice tea. My father's coffee cup was basically empty most of the meal - until we were almost finished eating. The water cups also were only refilled when the last few mouthfuls of dessert were being eaten- I guess the waiter realized he had ignored all the empty glasses and only when the waiter was going to bring us the check did he realize how unhappy we were. Our left overs was bagged and the waiter mixed up who got what and so when I opened it up later I found that half of the stuff was not ours and i had to throw someone else's food away so about $25.00 of food had to be thrown away in the 2 households that attended. Over all it was one of the worst table and service we have ever had in over 50 years in this state (We grew up here and have lived all over the country). My mid - eighty parents hated the food and service especially since we were required to pay a high tip (for rotten service) just because we had 6 people. They do not like to complain- so I will.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Laura T

Dunn, North Carolina
“Cafe Sistina How I Miss You”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was introduced to Cafe Sistina when I worked at one of the near-by offices. My first experience was with lunch, the pricing was more than affordable, considering the amount of food provided. There are always room for left-overs. During my 10 years living on Oahu CS became my "go to" favorite "foodie" restaurant.

Beyond the fair pricing, the food is exquisite, the service is excellent - attentive without being obtrusive and the atmosphere is comfortable without being too formal or too casual. Most importantly, for enjoying dining out, one can easily speak and hear their table-mates, there is the typical background murmuring yet it is not distracting nor disagreeable.

Sergio Mitrott, the owner, was always cordial, welcoming one to the restaurant as though you were entering his home; for those who may not know, the artwork and the recipes are his own. Having tasted most items on the menu I can honestly say his family have graced him with some of the most delightful tastings I have had the pleasure to enjoy.

You and your lovely establishment are well missed by this lady. la ringrazio tanto Signor Mitrott.

• Visited April 2013
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Nice atmosphere, good Italian food”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I took another couple here for dinner recently, selected on the basis of other trip advisor reviews and the ability to make a somewhat late reservation on a Saturday for dinner the same evening. The exterior has a kind of bland commercial office feel about it but the interior is surprisingly interesting, pleasant, and a bit funky with paintings taken from the Sistine Chapel on almost every interior surface of the dining room. The service was excellent as were all 4 of our Italian dinners. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good not great”
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I've been here a couple times over the past few years and it's kind of amazing how busy this little restaurant can get despite being tucked away. Maybe hard to find if you are visiting. We had a fairly large party. Service was pretty good. We had brought a special dessert and the restaurant charged a fee of $1.50 per head for the extra utensils and dishes? Took my by surprise. I had never been to a restaurant that charge for this, that meant we were charged an extra $25! That left a bad impression.

Over all the food was good but not great.
I have visited quite a few times...however most recently, I think the quality has gone a bit downhill.

I ordered the SCAMPI ALLA VODKA ($17.25), which is shrimp sauteed with manilla clams in a caper vodka sauce with gorgonzola, served with spinach fettuccine. They left out the clam shells, so I couldn't even tell if there were clams in my dish...I assumed there was but I could hardly taste it. And I prefer to eat the clams from the shell. However, flavor of the sauce was good. Creamy, but not like Alfredo sauce, with capers for a slightly tangy kick, to much capers if you ask me.

The Veal Bolognese ($23.75) was also good, according to my wife. tender veal, breaded and sauteed in butter, topped in a butter marsala wine sauce, mozzarella, and prosciutto in a pink sauce.

The unlimited bread was also delicious; hot and crispy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside, and served with pesto butter.

The decor is pretty nice There's these giant Italian mural paintings covering all the walls of the restaurant, and it really feels like you're dining somewhere in Italy.

All in all, the food was good, but not amazing. And thus, not worth it at the price point and poor experience with service. I teetered on the edge between 2 and 3 stars, but settled with 3 because of my previous good history with them.

Do I recommend this place? Honestly it is hit and miss. its not on the top of my list but in a pinch I might go back.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank F5993GMericd
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good place for meeting friends”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I like this restaurant as a place to meet friends before going out for the evening...especially if you don't want to eat a lot. Good atmosphere and service, but the food is a bit common place.

Visited December 2013