“Perfect price quality hotel!”

Waikiki Resort Hotel
Ranked #39 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
netherlands
“Perfect price quality hotel!”
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Last week my partner and I spend 6 nights in this hotel. I always check every single review on al lot of different hotels so decided to write one myself this time.

Before we decided which hotel to stay, I again checked many reviews. First I considered to stay in the Coconut Waikiki hotel (often number 1 on these websites). After I spoke to some locals from Hawaiian Airlines and a local travel agency I changed my mind. Both explained to me, that if I wanted to save some money, the Waikiki Resort hotel would be a much better choice. They said it to be recently renovated (which is true, and I am sure construction has been finished by now) and they told me location wise this hotel was a much better choice. Why pay more for a longer walk to the beach or centre while in the mean time both hotels are said to serve good quality? You should save the money to make some good trips.

Location: After I have seen where the Coconut Waikiki (which sure is a good hotel too) hotel is located I don't regret my choice. The Waikiki Resort hotel is seriously 1 minute away from the beach and the boulevard. I haven't had any trouble with traffic or any other disturbing noices. My room was on the 5th floor.

Service: Great! When we arrived there weren't any standard rooms with King bed available (which we booked) and we got an upgrade to a Junior Suite. Transfer is easy to arrange with the bell boy and saves money on the taxi. Check out time is 12, which I find very reasonable. Staff is always ready to help.

Room: spacious. Has 2 flat screens, a kitchenette with (empty) refrigerator (which you can fill with supplies from the ABC shops that are located on every corner of the street) and a coffeemaker (with complementary coffe). Junior Suite has seperate living room. We had 2 balconies. To be honest, the bathroom looked good, was absolutely recently renovated, but is small. Not too small, but this is something that must be said. Shower is great however. No bath. Room was very clean. Housekeeping did good job.

Save some money?
- Parking at the hotel is rather expensive (as for any hotel in Waikiki I guess). Location of the hotel is good, since parking around the Zoo is free. Lots of space every day. It's a 5 minute walk along the boulevard to get there.
- You will find ABC shops every 100m. Shop is reasonably priced, so you can get supplies for your refrigerator or trips.
- I expected Hawaii to be expensive. This appeared to be untrue. There are a lot of restaurants and bars with reasonably priced food.
- Car rental: Many reviews advise you not to rent a car. Although the bus system is good, it takes a lot of time to travel around. You won't reach the good places and you won't have the time to look around and enjoy all the amazing views. We rented a car via www.discounthawaiicarrental.com which is a bargain. It is worth it! We spend two days driving around the island, which is sufficient.

Besides this, the island is great. Better than I expected! There is a lot to do and there are many good beaches.

Have a good trip!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dutchcouple86

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Central PA
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Clean and very affordable and only one block from Waikiki Beach!!! The Staff were great to assist with rentals, etc. We had a late afternoon flight and they extended my checkout time to accomodate at no extra charge. I highly recommend the Waikiki Resort and I will definitely be coming back.!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank dkleck
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 March 2010

3rd floor room was a junior suite and perfect for me. Plenty of room and lots of hot water! Staff was easy to use and I'm sure spoke several languages.

Hotel is used for Korean Airlines Pilots and Flight Attendants, which I can confirm and spoke to several crews.

Hotel does have Korean BBQ, no idea if its good, I did not go.

Hotel is 1/2 block to the beach and sits roughly in the middle of Waikiki, Hyatt Regency Waikiki just a block away, Budget and Hertz car rentals can be had there, also you can check in for your flights there along with Waikiki Resort.

Hotel Lobby had free Wi-fi but rooms were ethernet cable for 9.95 a day. (Not bad really)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank kcmh
CA
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Hotel rooms are nicely decorated. The staff goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful to guests offering recommendations for sightseeing and dining. Do not miss the Yakiniku dinner in the Seoul Jung Restaurant... diners who are unfamiliar with Asian cusines can rely on the recommendations from the wait staff and enjoy a wonderful meal!

1 Thank Seb1st
North California
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Waikiki Resort Hotel is a great place to stay in Waikiki. One block to the beach, all the shopping, and Kapiolani Park (perfect for morning jogging). The staff is very helpful and friendly. They responded immediately to any requests we had - extra pillows, wine glasses, etc. The rooms were spacious and clean. Our room had a beautiful view of the hills above Honolulu. The lights at night were amazing.
We ate dinner one evening at their Seoul Jung restaurant and it was delicious. It was really fun bar-be-queueing at your table.
What we liked the most about Waikiki Resort Hotel was the friendly staff. Least - it is not directly on the beach, though from some rooms you will see a sliver of Waikiki beach.

1 Thank VicksVaporRub
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I spent 2 nights at this hotel in February 2010 and was very pleased with the accomodations and the service. I booked this hotel on the Discount Hotels site, at a preferred rate for a standard room. The service attendant at the hotel upgraded me to an ocean view room for the standard room price....her idea not mine! As well, I had an 11:00 pm departure and when I went to check out, for an already late check out (1:00 pm), I jokingly told her that I would now be "Homeless in Honolulu" until my departure for the airport at 8:00 pm. She said, "just a minute" and checked the hotel room database and graciously allowed me to keep the room, no charge, until 8:00 pm. Normally this would be an additional full day charge if I had requested it. I hung out at the pool, had a shower before my departure to the airport, which was a real treat. As well, this hotel is extremely clean and all staff I dealt with very friendly and helpful. Only caution is that the pool is very cold....but refreshing!! Great stay and I will stay again....better than a 3 star rating.
Saskatchewan, Canada.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank HawaiiSaskatchewan
Arizona
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Great hotel and staff! The hotel's Korean restaurant "Seoul Jung" was excellent...the best meal we had during our stay. Clean and nicely decorated rooms and terrific service from a very friendly and helpful staff. Just one block off the renown Waikiki beach and one block from a shopping area that has most of the world's most famous stores. Will be staying there everytime we go to Hawaii!