“Great Value and Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Waikiki Resort Hotel
Ranked #39 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Victoria
“Great Value and Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

We got a really good deal by booking online with this hotel. I also liked that it isn't right on main drag. The best part was the air conditioning. In general it was quiet but at night if it was windy the balcony door would rattle and wake us up. That was it's only down-fall. Still a great choice for Honolulu.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I would like to say a great be Mahalo to the hotel staff, particularly Nancy, Mitzi, and Brandon for all their hard work and friendliness they showed our group at the hotel. Their professionalism and positive charisma were refreshing when they checked our group of 40 people in. They made my life and job much easier. I recommend them for all large group gatherings. The breakfast staff is wonderful and very responsive to all our needs.

Mahalo!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
So.Cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights in February for the first time. I had seen the hotel on previous trips and had eaten at the restaurant. This was a casual, relaxing place to stay. I had the partial ocean view which made it nice to sit out on the lanai in the mornings with a cup of coffee. All the staff I came into contact with at the front desk were pleasant, as was the man at the tour desk.

The location is great, 1/2 block to the beach. Because it is not on the main street, it does not have all the hustle and bustle. It was convenient to lots of shopping and restaurants. Beach towels were available just steps opposite the elevators. Some hotels direct you to a lower level to check one beach towel in and out. Here you could take what you need and return to the same place.

Looking forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank SoCalJunebug
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

This was my 3rd time staying at the Waikiki Resort Hotel and the 1st time after its major renovation. I wanna stay in the hotel for 5 nites and would like to take the advantage of the “pay 2 nites and 3rd nite FREE” offer on the hotel website, but funny that I could not get this offer if I booked for 5 nites (I assumed that I will pay for 4 nites and got 1 nite free), so I had to break it into 2 booking, one for 2 nites and one for 3 nites in order to get the 1 nite free on the 3 nites booking, their system is a bit odd, but I got free breakfast for two for all 5 days, which was an extra bonus. The overall deal was a real bargin especially for a hotel in a good location and so close to the Waikiki beach.

Before arrival I had requested for a room on the higher floor with a nice view (I booked for Partial Ocean View Room) and got a very nice room on the 15th floor. Very nice view of the ocean (partially blocked by the 2 hotels in the front) and the room was of good size, very clean and new with flat screen TV, lots of channels to choose from, basic amenities included, but the mattress was kind of soft. Breakfast was basic but good and lots of customers are from the nearby hotels. The parking fee was $18 which is high but quite common in Waikiki and the parking spaces were quite big when compared to other hotels in Waikiki. They also charge $9.95 a day for in-room internet, but there is free wifi in the hotel lobby and you can use it in the lobby for hours in a very comfy environment, so don’t bother to pay for the internet. All the staff (from front desk to restaurant to housekeeping to bell desk) there was very nice and friendly and willing to help you at all time

The location of this hotel is perfect with a 24-hour McDonald round the corner, ½ block to the beach and ½ block to Kuhio Street where all the major bus lines stops there. This hotel is basically in the center of everything and very convenience for shopping, dinning and all kind of activities. I will definitely stay there again and have no doubt in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank cckc123
netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

Last week my partner and I spend 6 nights in this hotel. I always check every single review on al lot of different hotels so decided to write one myself this time.

Before we decided which hotel to stay, I again checked many reviews. First I considered to stay in the Coconut Waikiki hotel (often number 1 on these websites). After I spoke to some locals from Hawaiian Airlines and a local travel agency I changed my mind. Both explained to me, that if I wanted to save some money, the Waikiki Resort hotel would be a much better choice. They said it to be recently renovated (which is true, and I am sure construction has been finished by now) and they told me location wise this hotel was a much better choice. Why pay more for a longer walk to the beach or centre while in the mean time both hotels are said to serve good quality? You should save the money to make some good trips.

Location: After I have seen where the Coconut Waikiki (which sure is a good hotel too) hotel is located I don't regret my choice. The Waikiki Resort hotel is seriously 1 minute away from the beach and the boulevard. I haven't had any trouble with traffic or any other disturbing noices. My room was on the 5th floor.

Service: Great! When we arrived there weren't any standard rooms with King bed available (which we booked) and we got an upgrade to a Junior Suite. Transfer is easy to arrange with the bell boy and saves money on the taxi. Check out time is 12, which I find very reasonable. Staff is always ready to help.

Room: spacious. Has 2 flat screens, a kitchenette with (empty) refrigerator (which you can fill with supplies from the ABC shops that are located on every corner of the street) and a coffeemaker (with complementary coffe). Junior Suite has seperate living room. We had 2 balconies. To be honest, the bathroom looked good, was absolutely recently renovated, but is small. Not too small, but this is something that must be said. Shower is great however. No bath. Room was very clean. Housekeeping did good job.

Save some money?
- Parking at the hotel is rather expensive (as for any hotel in Waikiki I guess). Location of the hotel is good, since parking around the Zoo is free. Lots of space every day. It's a 5 minute walk along the boulevard to get there.
- You will find ABC shops every 100m. Shop is reasonably priced, so you can get supplies for your refrigerator or trips.
- I expected Hawaii to be expensive. This appeared to be untrue. There are a lot of restaurants and bars with reasonably priced food.
- Car rental: Many reviews advise you not to rent a car. Although the bus system is good, it takes a lot of time to travel around. You won't reach the good places and you won't have the time to look around and enjoy all the amazing views. We rented a car via www.discounthawaiicarrental.com which is a bargain. It is worth it! We spend two days driving around the island, which is sufficient.

Besides this, the island is great. Better than I expected! There is a lot to do and there are many good beaches.

Have a good trip!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dutchcouple86
Central PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

Clean and very affordable and only one block from Waikiki Beach!!! The Staff were great to assist with rentals, etc. We had a late afternoon flight and they extended my checkout time to accomodate at no extra charge. I highly recommend the Waikiki Resort and I will definitely be coming back.!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank dkleck
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2010

3rd floor room was a junior suite and perfect for me. Plenty of room and lots of hot water! Staff was easy to use and I'm sure spoke several languages.

Hotel is used for Korean Airlines Pilots and Flight Attendants, which I can confirm and spoke to several crews.

Hotel does have Korean BBQ, no idea if its good, I did not go.

Hotel is 1/2 block to the beach and sits roughly in the middle of Waikiki, Hyatt Regency Waikiki just a block away, Budget and Hertz car rentals can be had there, also you can check in for your flights there along with Waikiki Resort.

Hotel Lobby had free Wi-fi but rooms were ethernet cable for 9.95 a day. (Not bad really)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo