“Our honeymoon” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Elgin, Illinois
“Our honeymoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

The staff at the Waikiki Resort Hotel was very hospitable. However, on our first night when we arrived, we were charged a $250 security deposit that we were not notified about before the deposit was deducted from our bank account. For this miscommunication, on behalf of the staff at the hotel, we were given a complimentary voucher for a breakfast for two people the next day. We were appreciative of the professional staff and our satisfaction was guaranteed. The remainder of the trip, the staff was helpful and assisted us with transportation or sight-seeing venues. Thank you for making our stay at your hotel a memorable and relaxing time. Mahalo.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

The family home in Honolulu was unavailable, so we were forced to find a hotel for the O'ahu leg of our trip. I'm a local girl and I HATE Waikiki! We avoid it at all costs when we return home to Hawai'i. That said, there are very few options outside of Waikiki if you need to stay in a hotel on O'ahu. After obsessively going over TripAdvisor reviews of dozens of hotels, I reluctantly booked two rooms at the Waikiki Resort for a week (March 16-23). I'm mostly glad I did.

Mitzi was amazing at the front desk when we checked in. She was friendly and competently answered our many questions... sometimes even before we asked them. (The front desk demonstration at check-in about how to use the shower fixtures seemed comical, but was obviously necessary.) Her instructions on parking, validating the ticket, etc. were all clear and precise. She and the rest of the hotel staff didn't treat we locals poorly, as many hotel employees who are "transplants" to Hawai'i sometimes do.

Don't try to park in the underground garage if you have a large vehicle. We had a Chrysler mini-van that couldn't fit into more than a couple of spots. It's a tight maneuver around a very tiny garage. Park in the outside lot. It's easier on everyone in the car!

There was a special event on the first evening and a parking attendant in the outside lot told me I had to park underground because the outside lot gate was "broken". (In the upright position?) I told him that I absolutely refused to park underground again since my van didn't fit the parking spaces. He looked perturbed, muttered -- and all of a sudden he made the gate "work". Hmm. I wonder if he was pocketing the cash the special event people were handing him. I informed Mitzi about the encounter and she said that she'd address it.

Overall, it was a great stay. There was no construction going on. The hotel is small, clean, rooms adequate, bathroom and shower cleaner than most hotels. With a few notable exceptions, the hotel was quiet, considering it is in the heart of Waikiki. Housekeeping is diligent and friendly and eager to assist guests. Our housekeeper, "Young", was exceptional. Hotel security is amazing! I reported an unattended suitcase in the hallway that had been there for 30 minutes. They responded within 1 minute to check it out. When we had noisy neighbors one night at midnight, they were at their door within 2 minutes of my phone call. Security is seen doing their rounds regularly. The hotel's location allowed our local family members to easily pick us up when needed. Waikiki beach may be one block away, but it is too crowded, dirty and commercialized to enjoy. We spent most of our beach time at other beaches on the island.

The one thing that made this a less-than-perfect stay was when a large group of teenagers checked into the hotel the last 2 days. What a racket! The housekeeper said that this band/choir checks into the hotel every year. She seemed very relieved that she didn't have to work on the "lower floors" where they were housed. They screamed and yelled while in the rooftop pool just to hear themselves echoing off the surrounding buildings. On our last night at the hotel, they gathered (around midnight for an hour and a half) on their balconies to chant, scream and holler in unison to people on the street. In the morning, they played their band instruments and "sang" on the balconies. Upon check-out I reported this to the front desk who genuinely didn't seem to know that this was going on. The front desk manager came to talk with me and apologized profusely and said that he would be speaking with the group's sponsors. He stated that he was surprised and that the hotel always adds more security when a large group like this stays there.

If I absolutely had to stay in Waikiki again, I'd consider staying here. However, I'd make damn sure that no band/choir adolescent group was going to be there!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TitaNui
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

I've stayed at this resort many times since 1980. I was happy to discover the place was totally remodeled, very nice! Family orientated, happy welcoming staff, entire place is very clean, within one block of Waikiki beach, walking distance to shopping and the many eating places, felt very safe day or night, bus line available 1 block away and I parked my rental car on-site, self-service laundry, beach towels available. I had a standard room with two queen beds located on the 12th floor, facing east. The closest resort was across the street so that I didn't have to look directly into another resort or apartment. It never bothered me that I couldn't see the ocean or diamond head since I only had to walk 1 block to see the sunset. Expect the sounds of a busy vacation spot during the day. It quiets down at night or take a drive to another part of the island. We did and had the beach area to ourselves. My room was supplied with a small refrigerator, coffee maker, new furnishings, flat screen, new clean mattress. We had the choice to swim in the pool or ocean. Check out the swap meet for major savings on the same items sold at the local stores at a fraction of the price. It's held at the Aloha Stadium every Weds, Sat, Sunday. I didn't post photos because the photos posted for Waikiki Resort are authentic, no need to repeat them. I felt so relieved that my accommodations surpassed my expectations that I soon found myself truly on a relaxing vacation in paradise. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank njoynlifeCalifornia
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

We visit Hawaii every year, and this year we were fortunate to find the secret jewell of Waikiki - The Waikiki Resort Hotel.
Great location, excellent views, courteous staff, all around great !!!!!!
Thank you especially to Manager Ryan Thayer, Brandon Gaspar, and smiley Nancy Short.
We certainly are looking forward to seeing you next year, God Wiling.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patrida
Adleaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

My Husband and I found great airfares to Honolulu so were after a reasonably priced hotel in Waikiki Beach. This Hotel fitted the bill and exceeded our expectations by a long shot. We arrived early and as our room wasn't to be ready until 3pm, we had breakfast at a nearby restaurant and then returned to the hotel and relaxed by the pool until it was ready for us. We had booked a standard room but were pleasantly surprised to be told that we had been given an upgrade to a suite on the 14th floor. The suite was well laid out with comfortable seating and a flat screened tv. There was a small, well equipped kitchen corner and a balcony offering views across the city. We had a small view of the beach and surfers between two of the buildings, but as the beachfront was literally 100metres from the front entrance of the Hotel that didn't matter. There was a well stocked gift shop and two restaurants within the Hotel, but we were more interested in trying a variety of different places so did not eat at either of them. This Hotel is used by Korean Airlines aircrew and passengers, so the restaurants focused on Korean foods.
We didn't have a lot of contact with the staff, but what little we did found them to be helpful and courteous. Best thing about this Hotel is location and cost. Only disadvantage we found was that our room was right next to the lifts and could be a little noisy because of that. But as we were so fortunate to be upgraded, there was no way we would have complained or commented on that. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for absolute bargain accommodation and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gladys19
Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

We got a really good deal by booking online with this hotel. I also liked that it isn't right on main drag. The best part was the air conditioning. In general it was quiet but at night if it was windy the balcony door would rattle and wake us up. That was it's only down-fall. Still a great choice for Honolulu.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I would like to say a great be Mahalo to the hotel staff, particularly Nancy, Mitzi, and Brandon for all their hard work and friendliness they showed our group at the hotel. Their professionalism and positive charisma were refreshing when they checked our group of 40 people in. They made my life and job much easier. I recommend them for all large group gatherings. The breakfast staff is wonderful and very responsive to all our needs.

Mahalo!