“Mid-level hotel, OK for a short stay”

Waikiki Resort Hotel
Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Toronto, Canada
“Mid-level hotel, OK for a short stay”
Reviewed 8 June 2007

The lobby area of the hotel is nice and welcoming. However, once you get into your room, you notice that there's a bit of wear-and-tear in the furniture and the bathroom. The bedsheets and towels are clean but they are a bit worn out as well. It is clear that the hotel was once glamorous but with the passage of time it has been allowed to slowly decay. I stayed there in June, which is the low season for Hawaii because it is summer in the northern latitudes. The price of the hotel was not cheap but not very expensive either (approx. US$95), which allowed me to spend the money saved on hotel for other things like entertainment, good food, and Aloha shirts. The hotel is in a great location: it's one block away from the beach and there are numerous shops and restaurants nearby. Since I spent most of my time outside and not so much time in the hotel room, I ignored the lack of luxury of the hotel. Overall, I recommend this hotel for a few nights but don't expect much in the way of creature comforts here. By the way, there is no internet connection in the rooms, but there are computers in the lobby area where you can use the internet for US$7/hour.

• Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Born_yesterday

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Rocklin, Ca
Reviewed 16 May 2007

We arrived early and I thought we were going to have to leave our luggage at the desk till we were able to check in. But we were able to check in early, we were also upgraded to a room with a partial ocean view, plus we could see Diamond Head The room had a microwave oven, sink, Dishes and silverware were also supplied in the room.The room was clean, beds had new mattresses. They cleaned our room almost everyday. If they weren't coming in the next day, they would leave extra towels. The staff were friendly and helpful. Yes the elevators were a bit dirty, and yes there was duct tape around the rugs in the elevator But you aren't going to sleep in the elevators! The place is a bit dated. They were in the process of renovating while we were there. But let me tell you!!! You can't beat the location, 1/2 block from beach, shopping, restaurants, and the bus stops all near by. The Catholic church is only a 1/2 block away. Next trip plan on staying here agian. Our trip was taken April 2007.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RovenRocklin
Northern California
Reviewed 7 March 2007

Checking in - slow since they only had one person staffed at the front helping people. The person who did check us in was almost brusque in that she really just wanted us all out of her hair. She never smiled once, in fact, no hotel staff ever smiled at us.
The room - It is VERY dated, white varnish furniture from the 80's. Everything was clean, but cheap and uncomfortable. The first problem came here - the bedding had holes in it. We called to ask for new bedding and were told that they could not accomodate that. That's all they said, and anything else I said was given a response of "we can not accmodate that" - as if that was all the English she knew.
Second problem - the gauge for the AC, or the thing that lets you control how cold it gets in the room did not work. we turned it to one end and did other stuff for half an hour and nothing changed, then we turned it to the other end and left for 2 hrs and nothing changed. We called about that and they said they could get someone to come and fix it in two days. We were only staying another two nights and so just said they can do whatever they want.
Third problem - the fridge, the old mini-fridge that they said their rooms would have. well, they had one. it just didn't work. we asked for them to take a look at it and maybe fix it and surprise, they sent someone to look at it. well, the person said that we were right, it didn't work. but they wouldn't be able to put another one into the room for a week or so.
On the plus side - they did a thorough job of cleaning the room everyday since we did track in a good deal of sand.
The location of this place is GREAT.
The parking in the place is really tight.
We weren't expecting much, mostly b/c it was so cheap, but what we got was even less.
Next time, we will spring a little more to be a lot more comfortable.

• Liked — maid service
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank ttandcbear
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2007

My wife and I have just returned home to Australia from a week's stay in Honolulu. We booked our stay through a local travel agent, and I must admit, the only brief I gave the agent was that our accommodation should be central and inexpensive. He came back with the Waikiki Resort Hotel and a price - I duly looked the hotel up on their web site; it looked ok, so I confirmed my ok back to the travel agent.

About a week later a friend referred me to this web site, and out of interest I looked up this hotel. After reading some of the less than complimentary reviews I 'll confess to becoming worried about my decision to stay here.

However, I'm happy to report that for the most part, our hotel stay was enjoyable and we experienced no problems with our room or the service.

If you're considering shelling out your hard-earned on staying here, then what you'll get is a clean, well serviced room, in easy walking distance to the beach, restaurants, bars and public transport.

The rooms are of good standard (if a little dated) for what this is (3 star accommodation) - if you are expecting a room that is the standard of the Sheraton et al - then you will be disappointed - its not 5 star, and doesn't advertise itself as such.

The hotel caters for all, but is heavily reliant upon Japanese and South Korean tourists, and as such, the restaurants and staff are skewed in their favour. None the less, I found the staff to be courteous and helpful.

I note that someone else made a note about the pool - I can confirm that it isn't heated and is extremely cold - I'd suggest you confine your aquatic activities to the beach - the water is warmer there.

If you're a first timer to Hawaii like we were, I can recommend day trips to K'uoloa(not sure of the correct spelling) Ranch (Horse riding, quad bikes and 4 wheel drive tours) and the all day snorkelling and whale watching catamaran cruise on the K'Olina (once more, not entirely sure of the spelling) which was great value. The guys operating at the tour info desk next to the car rental desk in the lobby should be able to help you.

Good quality affordable dining that I'd recommend (and within easy walking distance) - Lu Lu's Wakiki Surf Club, Dukes, Cheesebugers in Paradise.

• Liked — Location, value for money
  • Disliked — swimming pool
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Philthy57
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 21 January 2007

We were there for a week. Two couples each with two small children. We booked adjascent rooms and it was as if the other family wasn't there. I never herd their kids they never herd ours. The thing that was no very pleasant was paying for outrageous parking price of $12 per day. Also if you enjoy a swim.. think again. the pool was a very uncomfortable cold temperature. Especially for our 2 year olds. Which choose not to go in. No heater & it sits in the shade. Beside those two things, pleasant stay. A bit dated but comfortable. And we were lucky enough to be there after the new Hawaii Smoke Free Law..So our room was not smelly. Close to the beach, far from noise. Great stay for price.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank travelingnow2006
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2006

I stayed here for a week in July. Went out for the day swimming and came back to find my laptop and mp3 player missing from my dresser drawer. The hotel as much as admitted that the chambermaid stole it, as it had been a problem in the past. Funny thing when I checked in, they asked if I'd like to spend two more dollars a day on a room safe. When I asked if they had been having problems, the receptionist said; "not at all". At the time...when I was standing in front of them, they said that their insurance company would contact me at home. Well, it's 3 weeks later, no contact, no returned calls. $1200. is probably down the drain. The staff at this hotel are crooks!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
16 Thank Dave944
Arlington, TX
Reviewed 2 June 2006

I was skeptical about staying here & nearly cancelled our reservations after reading the reviews. Much to my surprise, the hotel was perfectly fine for our visit. The hotel staff were incredibly hospitable assisting us in every way possible to make our visit pleasant. The hotel hallways & rooms are a bit dated with needing some modernization. However, everything was always kept clean and neat. This hotel is in an excellent location near many restaurants, shops & tourist spots. The beach is convenient & easy to get to.

• Stayed April 2006