“$15 +/ day activity fee, Please !!”
Review of Aqua Palms Waikiki

Aqua Palms Waikiki
Ranked #58 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“$15 +/ day activity fee, Please !!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have used the Aqua Palms for myself and relatives since it opened. The hotel quality has been superb, staff excellent, maintenance good. It has been a great place to stay and a good value. BUT as Aqua has grown and gobbled up several Waikiki hotels, the mercenary factor has crept in and now, Aqua has become just another greedy hotel chain. The imposition of a daily "activities" fee is a cheap, low-life way of charging more. What activities?? A pool? A workout room? Aqua's management should have the guts and the class to just raise room rates. But instead, they try to sleaze the issue and hide this rate increase as an "activities" fee. Poor showing. Looks like I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mauka (mountain) side are quieter. You don't see the ocean but you don't hear t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank L B
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Aloha L B;

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay in July.

I appreciate your comments regarding our Hospitality Fee and I believe we spoke on the phone earlier this week. We have added amenities which include a complimentary shuttle throughout Waikiki and DVDNOW which includes unlimited rentals of all the latest movies and playstation 3 games.

I hope you will reconsider and continue to be one of our valued customers.

Patty Maher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

This is probably one of Waikiki's hidden gems. Value and Location can't be beat. I've stayed here 3 times now. It is not fancy but it is clean and safe! Food and beaches are all walking distance. Shopping is nearby also.

• Stayed August 2014
Aloha Eugene C:

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Aqua Palms last month.

It is always a pleasure to have repeat guests and love to stay at the property.

The next time you stay with us please be sure to ask for me, I would love to meet you in person.

Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 days. This hotel is in a great location. The staff is fantastic.

Our first room was very smelly. The hotel was full so we made the best of it for a couple nights. The straw that broke the camels back was when my husband spilled water in our room. We sopped it up with a towel. The towel was filthy when we finished. I took a picture and showed it to the manager. We were quickly moved to another room that was much better. The beds are great. The pillows ok. The rooms are a little dated and worn in spots.

I would stay here again if it was just my husband and I. It's in a great location that encourages exploration.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank JJSanderson
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Aloha Janet S:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

Please accept my apologies for the challenges encountered during your stay. I am pleased to see that we were able to move you to another room more to your liking. It is always a pleasure to here great comments about the staff.

All of the staff and management hope you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki and will afford us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This was our first time staying at the Aqua Palms, since our first hotel of choice was unavailable. The most important asset a hotel can have is a great staff, and this hotel would get five circles in that department. Everyone was friendly and helpful - a special shout-out to Mike the bell man for helping us with heavy items throughout our stay, always with a great smile and a little time to talk story. Also thanks to Venus and Gennifer at the front desk for excellent service. Cecilia, our housekeeper, cheerfully provided everything we needed, and Tino in maintenance quickly fixed our in-room safe when I couldn't get it to open. All of you are much appreciated.
The building is older but reasonably well maintained. There was an odd smell in the lobby that I couldn't identify, although the lobby itself looked clean.
Our room was clean but tiny, better suited for one person than two. The king bed was fairly comfortable except for the huge overstuffed pillows. There was a decent selection of TV channels, and WiFi worked well. Unfortunately our room overlooked a construction site, so we were awakened by crashing and banging at 7:30 each morning. The air conditioning system took a long time to cool down the room but maintained the temperature once it got there. The shower stall was sized appropriately for a 10-year-old child; an average sized adult will find it cramped.
Since this was a working trip for us, we did not have time to visit the pool so I am unable to comment on that facility.
If you plan to park a car at the Aqua Palms, I recommend a smaller vehicle. The parking levels have tight corners, and it takes a bit of maneuvering to get a large SUV into a stall.
My biggest complaint with this hotel is that it was overpriced for the lack of space. Overall, our stay was a good if not great experience.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank KonaBlueWahine
Aloha KonaBlueWahine:

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a lengthy review regarding your recent stay at the Aqua Palms.

It's exciting to hear such wonder comments about the staff and I will be sure to let Mike, Venus, Gennifer, Cecila and Tino know that you appreciated their assistance.

There are several sizes of rooms here at the Palms and unfortunately it sounds like you received one of our smaller rooms.

Your next stay, please contact us directly and we can assist in ensuring you have a larger room during your stay.

Machida, Japan
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The location of this hotel is fairly nice. It’s about a 20 minute walk to the main part of Waikiki and there are multiple restaurants within a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The rooms are a little small but ok. The balcony for my room only went out about 1 foot so it was basically unusable. One really nice thing about the room was that it had a microwave inside the room. That makes a big difference when you have been traveling for work for a month and are sick of eating out. They have self service laundry in the hotel which comes in handy. The parking garage is a little confusing at first due to all the reserved parking spots in it but there are plenty of spots open still so parking is ok.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Aloha hikokjason:

Yes, all of our rooms come with microwaves, refrigerators and coffeemakers so it does make it convenient for easy breakfast or light meal during your stay.

The type of balcony you described is called a "Juliet lanai". It allows fresh air into the rooms but does not allow for sitting on the balcony. We also have rooms with full lanais.

Hopefully the next time you are in Waikiki you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Solana Beach, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

For the money, I don't think you can find a better hotel in Waikiki. I have stayed in the hotel twice and have booked my next stay in October. The rooms are very small, and I imagine that turns most people off, but for all of the other benefits of staying at the Aqua Palms, that's a small price to pay. It's fun having a manager's get together once a week with music and refreshments. The only negative in the hotel is that the lamp shades are in bad shape, and need be replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if that was already taken care of.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a small balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Aloha Karen F:

Mahalo for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

I'm delighted to hear that you are repeat visitor and will be staying with us again.

Look forward to seeing you in October!

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having seen the generally good reviews about this hotel we had high hopes-- but these were dashed as soon as we arrived. Outside the hotel was a constant smell of methane/sulphur. Not sure where it came from but it was awful. Inside the hotel, the hallways smelled foul as well-- like musty/moldy carpet. We held out breath as we walked from the elevator to our room each time. Inside the hotel room, we did not use the air conditioner as the air circulating from it had the same musty/moldy odor. Not sure how often they clean their airconditioning system?

The bed was comfy (except for the pillows) and the staff at the hotel were very friendly, but we would never stay here again due to the stench. I know this is a tropical climate and musty odors can be a problem, but this was over-the-top.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Carlton's Mom
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Aloha Carlton's Mom:

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the challenges you encountered during your stay. I have to honestly say this is the first time that I have had any complaints regarding smells either inside or outside the hotel. If I had been made aware of your concerns during your stay we might have been able to accommodate you at one of our sister properties.

I am pleased to see that the staff treated you with the true Aloha Spirit for which we are known and hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your valued patronage.