“Very good”

Ranked #58 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Cleveland, OH
“Very good”
Reviewed 11 November 2009

12 story hotel on the west end of Waikiki - good location, close to (but not on) the beach, across the street from Hilton Hawaiian Village. Rooms were clean with nice sized mini fridge, microwave, coffeemaker. Free non-wireless internet in the room - timed out a lot but otherwise very nice. Comfortable rooms. Friendly staff. Fitness room has an elliptical, 2 treadmills, and a multi-purpose weight-type machine, nothing more. Parking garage under the hotel. Rooms with a view are probably not worth any extra, since most of the view will be obstructed by other hotels. If a little noise bothers you then ask for a room away from Ala Moana Blvd instead. Basically I have no complaints.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Had a terrific stay. Found the room to be larger than I expected, huge plasma tv, very clean and one of the most comfortable king sized beds I have ever slept in. Tried the breakfast at the IHOP next door but preferred the 24 hour coffee house on the corner, next to the IHOP. The swimming pool is very small but we spent our swimming time across the road at the Hilton village. We had friends staying at the Hilton Village where they were paying four times the price we were! The only difference being the sea views and swimming pools, our room at the Aqua was bigger and our t.v was larger also.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a clean, spacious room in Honolulu. We also had 'Public enemy' staying at the hotel during our stay and it made my partners trip!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Stayed at the Aqua Palms and Spa for 6 nights... was loving the hotel so much we booked there for another 4! Great location, right opposite the Hilton. Conceirge and Help desk were incredably friendly in helping us find good car hire (which you should totally do) and Resturant advice. Rooms were a fantastic size, good bathroom and television. Free internet was fantastic. Only downside was the coffee in the room was fairly average, but if that's all I have to compain about, i think I'm on a good thing!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights to attend a conference. The room (partial city view) was congested. There was no spoon provided to make tea or coffee or eat breakfast. When I requested for a spoon, I was not given one. I had to buy a packet of plastic cutlery. No tea bags were provided. When I asked for them, 3 bags were given and then I bought tea bags. One day the alarm clock went missing and I reported to the reception. Though it was replaced, nobody got back to me how it went misssing and if the room attendant was involved. A day before my departure my lunch box went missing. I informed the manager who promised to get back to me after talking to the supervisor. When I enquired in the evening, the maanger was not available and there was no message for me. The person at the reception checked with somebody and told me that the room attendant was asked and she denied taking it. I did not get an apology from the receptionist.

2 Thank Aucki
aquapalms, Hotel Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Aloha Aucki,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us in November 2009. You referred to a situation where your alarm clock was missing from your room and later returned. My understanding is that the one that was in your room was found to be not working properly by the room attendant and was replaced by a new one later that afternoon. I apologize if this made you feel uneasy, but the intent was to ensure that everything was working properly in the room. It is the responsibility of my team members to be proactive and if they find something to not be working properly, they will take ownership and request that it be changed out or repaired.

You also reported to the front desk that your lunch box was missing from your room. I can assure you that I personally assisted with an internal investigation and found no evidence that any member of my team took your lunch box. My team members have been noted for their honesty, turning in many valuables that have been left in rooms, reporting open safes with cash in them, etc. I believe that they had nothing to do with your missing lunchbox and personally left you a message on your room phone explaining our investigation process as well as the outcome. My apologies that this was somehow missed.

We thank you for your selection of the Aqua Palms & Spa and hope that further explanation of your concerns may allow for a possible return visit. Should you choose to do so, please feel free to contact me directly so that I may assist you with your reservation and try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Thank you.

Kahealani Doss
Hotel Manager
Aqua Palms & Spa
kdoss@aquaresorts.com
Upstate New York
Reviewed 28 October 2009

This is a smaller hotel with easy access to Waikiki Beach, a number of reasonably priced restaurants, and shopping opportunities. The room was larger than other hotel rooms in the area and was equipped with refrigerator, microwave, and free high speed internet access. The hotel is obviously older and could do with a bit of a facelift (the hall carpets were worn and the lobby smelled a bit musty). But, the room we had was clean and fresh with a very comfortable bed and plenty of space to move around. Nice view from the balcony. The staff is fantastic -friendly and helpful, always smiling, finding things to fix before you noticed there is anything wrong. On this trip, we stayed another hotel (with a higher star rating) and were sadly disappointed in it as compared to the Aqua Palms. My husband and I both agreed we would be very happy to return to the Aqua Palms - pleasant, friendly, comfortable and affordable.

1 Thank SophiesMom4
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I had some concerns after reading all of the posts, but decided to book anyway –every hotel I looked up had supporters and detractors. Our stay was from Oct.17-25, 2009. This was a great value for the dollar. The rooms were small but we weren't there very often. King-size bed, bigger refrigerator than we expected, microwave, iron and board, hair drier, coffee maker and quiet rooms facing away from Ala Moana Blvd. We were told by people staying across the street at the plush Hilton Hawaiian Village that they did not have all those items. A/C and Internet worked great - I didn't try the wi-fi since an Ethernet cable was available. I saw a lot of people using wi-fi in the lobby, though. Plenty of hot water, although one day it seemed to run out, but was fine a few minutes later. NO PROBLEMS WITH THE ELEVATORS. Big flat-screen wall-mounted TV – nice. Gym was small - one universal, two treadmills and an elliptical, but it got the job done. Very small pool, but it was never crowded and the water was nice - spent most of the water time at the beaches anyway - walk through Hilton HV across the street to get there. You can check out beach towels at the front desk for the day – cool. Minor items – some of the electrical outlets are loose enough to pull away from the wall when removing your plug. They also aren’t too good with replenishing your coffee packets – just leave a note or call the desk and they’ll bring more. The Wailana Coffee House will save you a fortune at breakfast - the $5.75 all-you-can-eat pancakes is the best deal going - two eggs, two strips of bacon and three nice pancakes - more if you want them when finished with the first batch. Coconut syrup was great. It’s right next to the IHOP downstairs at about 60% of the price, and the food and service was better. Great spot if you're watching your budget. Many ABC stores (souvenirs, snacks, drinks) - seems like they are on every other block – they have 1.5 liter bottled water for 99 cents. If you can get out to the flea market at Aloha Stadium (Sat., Sun, and Wed until 3pm) you will save BIG money on souvenir aloha shirts, towels, t-shirts, costume jewelry etc. I saw a specific Hawaiian shirt for $10.00 that was going for $14.99 and up in town. There is a Wal-Mart, but you’ll have a good 20 minute walk to get there – it’s on Keeamoku St. The front desk can help with directions. If you want beach chairs and umbrellas, it’s cheaper to buy them and leave them behind than to rent at the exorbitant fees being charged. $50 will get you two decent chairs and a not-so-great umbrella, but again, gets the job done. Best tip I have - parking is expensive, but...if you have a rental car, come out of the hotel and go right on Ala Moana Blvd. Make a left at the Red Lobster (Hobron Ave.) and drive straight back about 2 blocks. There is a marina there - just follow the road around a couple more blocks to 25 CENT PER HOUR PARKING - NO KIDDING. There's a maximum of 24 hours at a time. Find a spot, note the spot number, go up to the machine, enter the information and put your money in. Put the printed ticket on your dash. You can't touch that deal in the Waikiki area. You can go into the heart of Waikiki for $2.00 by catching the Pink Trolley around the corner on Kalia St. at the HHV. Best price I could find on a rental car was about 47 bucks for economy size at Alamo – reserve and pay in advance online to get that price. If you make changes within 24 hours you’ll be charged a fee though. We booked this room last March at around $90-100 per day. You just can’t get all these features anywhere else in Waikiki for this kind of money. Seriously, yes, you get what you pay for, but if you want to go to Hawaii and you're on a tight budget, this is the place where you need to be. If I return to the Waikiki area, I would definitely go back to Aqua Palms – it has to be the best-kept secret on Oahu.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pfont60
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 October 2009

The redeeming quality of this hotel is that it's cheap. I was in Honolulu for a conference, and this was one of the cheaper hotels near the convention center - about a 7 min walk (same distance to beach). I didn't find the location to be that great but not terrible either.

The main problem though was the uneven service of the staff. Upon checking in, they did not have the room we requested (this happened to a number of people in our group). Instead of a 2 double beds we were given a king with a couch. If they ran out of those rooms when we made the reservation, they never should have taken our booking, Since I complained, I got free breakfast coupons. However, a coworker (a small Asian woman) did not get the same respect, and when she asked for coupons they lied to her and said they don't have those anymore.

Later in the week, the hot water stopped working in the hotel. I recognize this happens, but there was no apology, simply a shrug of the shoulders. When one of us called down to ask about it, they just hung up the phone on us. I asked for a discount on the room - which has not yet been resolved.

Other notes, the pool and the gym are tiny. There is an IHOP that it is affiliated with for breakfast. The bed and couch were very comfortable (bed was lumpy - couch was sloped). The view is nice if you have a higher level diamond head room.

Overall, i guess you get what you pay for. It was cheap, and it felt that way...

1 Thank Ben G
Aloha bennyscuba,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us in October 2009. I am disappointed to hear of the challenges that you faced while you were with us. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide excellent service and I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

It is always our priority to accommodate any requests that our guests may have and regret that we were not able to give you the bedding configuration that you desired. Please note that our rooms are booked by category, not bedding type, therefore bedding types are on a request basis and not guaranteed. I am glad to hear that my team gave you complimentary breakfast as a gesture of good faith. I believe your comment of your Asian female coworker not receiving the same respect because she did not get breakfast vouchers is a misunderstanding. We absolutely would never discriminate someone of any background nor "lie" to a guest.

We did indeed face some challenges with our hot water during your stay with us. While we have identified and remedied the problem, the outage that you did experience was very brief and hot water was restored quickly. Nonetheless, we recognize that this was not convenient for you and apologize for the inconvenience.

We strive to continue to improve our services and genuinely appreciate the feedback, good or bad, as it is a wonderful tool for us. Thank you once again for your time and we hope that you enjoy any future travels to beautiful Waikiki!

Warm Regards,