“Good deal for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Jose, California
“Good deal for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I booked this place for thanksgiving and we paid around $250 per night. This was rather inexpensive compared to other hotels during this time.
Pros:
-Good service. Everyone was very friendly and ready to help.
-The rooms are pretty large and included a mini fridge, free wifi or high speed internet.
-They let you use hotel beach chairs, beach mats and beach towels for free. We found this handy especially when traveling to beaches other than waikiki.
-They have free DVD rental service and thier collection is current.
-Across the street from the beach.

Things to note - might be important to some folks:
-Although this is conveniently located, this is rather far down the strip close to the zoo.
-This hotel is a boutique eco friendly hotel which is good. But that means that the lights are not as bright (which is why I'm assuming there are some complaints about the rooms being dark), and the water pressure is low.
-Breakfast is lacking - just coffee, tea, fruit and some cold unappealing pastries.
-We didn't use the fitness room or swimming pool but the pool is located in the Waikiki Beach Marriot hotel next door.
-No room service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BayAreaChino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Renew from the 26th October 2013 to the 2nd November 2013. I was so hoping for a room to move straight into and I was not disappointed. From that moment every other minute was fantastic. From the reception to housekeeping, I had no problems. The boys (men of course) the bar, I was as happy as anything. I was happy with the breakfast and met some really nice people there, met fellow cruise patrons and it was so easy to get to everything. Shuttle right out the front morning to night, some tours leave from the front door. I believe that the hotel has changed ownership and one small glitch was dealt with.

The Wi Fi is now included in the resort fee along with pool entitlements at another hotel plus free DVDs.

Would I stay here again, yes in a heart beat. Would I recommend to friends, you bet I would.

Room Tip: I was on level 8 and had no issues with a/c or noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Ina P
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here from mid October to end of October 2013 and thought the hotel was fantastic. It really is a cute and trendy boutique hotel right in the middle of Waikiki. Yes there is NO pool but you're in Hawaii. Go to the beach! It is literally STEPS away. The bus stops almost right in front of the hotel, should you need to go to ALA MOANA MALL for some great shopping. The free continental breakfast is perfect if you're looking for a light meal in the morning. The fruit is always fresh and there's baked goods, coffee and juices. In addition, towels are provided at the front desk before you head to the beach, apparently there is chairs you can rent for free too. We never did though. Since it was our anniversary there was a lovely bottle of Champagne brought to our room with a sweet card. It was so nice and it made us feel at home and welcomed. Also, if you need to get to the airport from the hotel. It'll only cost 12 per person! Just book the trip with the FRONT desk! Great job Hotel Renew! The only negative thing I have to mention is that we were told when checking in that they may be implementing a "resort fee" of 10.00 a night. We choose this place because there was no resort fee. So to management, please reconsider implementing this fee! I've already recommended your hotel because of this.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jeremy K
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We have just left this lovely hotel and have nothing but praise. The level of service, along with genuine friendliness was top notch. The rooms were clean, breakfast was adequate, and the location being amongst the happening area. Wifi is included (and free), which is a must for me! Great hotel if your after minimal hustle and bustle. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony M
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I had been to Waikiki back in the 80s and recalled the place to be kind of seedy. When my gal found this great deal to return to Honolulu in Spring 2011 (the date selector didn't allow me to put this date in so I chose March 2013) I was reticent. But we had a fabulous time partially because the area is really cleaned up (catering for your visitor dollars!) and because of this great little boutique hotel. We loved the hip look and feel of the place and that we could saunter down the street (equipped with hotel lawn chairs and towels) to enjoy the beach. Some pictures are attached and when these crop up on my computer's screen saver we both remember the stay and comment that we would go back there in a heartbeat. BTW when you do stay there make sure you enjoy Cha Cha Cha Restaurant a few blocks away. It is one of those places that couples have to have a discussion about on their holiday: We are not going to eat there every night are we? We went 3 times : )

Room Tip: They are all good : )
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Codiak!
Arroyo Grande, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed at Hotel Renew in October while visiting home for a few days. I checked in on a Thursday and was warmly greeted with pineapple juice and cold towels. The staff were very friendly and engaged in REAL conversation. I arrived in my suite to find that it was extremely modern, well put together, very clean and had extremely comfortable beds. There was more than sufficient space.

Everyone from the front desk staff to the valet to housekeeping staff went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable. My stay in Honolulu was supposed to be 4 nights and I ended up staying a WHOLE EXTRA WEEK! If it were not for the TOP NOTCH service I received, I absolutely would have left after one night. My standards are high and although I am very friendly, I'm not the easiest to please. The only complaint I had was that valet was a little difficult, at times, due to the location of the hotel being on a corner with a small curb. I never had a long wait to drop off or pick up my car, nor did I wait long for any amenities I requested from inside my room. Although there is no on-site pool, you have access to the Marriott's pools directly across the street as well as their fitness center. In the lobby of Hotel Renew is a machine that provides you with Playstation 3 rentals and DVD rentals FOR FREE! (Be sure to return them, upon your departure, please)

This hotel is a MUST STAY for three reasons:
(1) GREAT location in the heart of Waikiki
(2) Very decent pricing
(3) Fantastic amenities provided
(4) Unbeatable service

My last two nights, I left and booked a penthouse suite at the DoubleTree in Waikiki for almost three times the cost of my room at Hotel Renew. The room was spacious, of course, but other than that, I wished I stayed at Hotel Renew. I will ABSOLUTELY be returning.

I, of course, have a few suggestions for the management but they are constructive and only to help raise them to that of a higher standard:

(1) Offer more than 2 complimentary coffees per stay
(2) Have staff address guests by name during each interaction
(3) Beef up continental breakfast a bit

Room Tip: There are single-bed rooms with no view but provide a balcony -- had I known this in advance I would...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mathew S
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I'm not a really picky reviewer, but I'm really confused at the people rating this place 5 stars.

The rooms smell. They offer a "scents concierge" to cover up the smells. If you're not sensitive with smells - it'll be fine - but really - should the rooms smell to begin with?

The rooms are old and dingy - they did a good job covering it up with a facade of modern furniture, but it's only surface deep. The chair I had in my room was about 3 feet off the desk - making it nearly impossible to use. When I flipped it over to try to adjust it (eventually maintenance had to send up a screwdriver), the chair was pretty gross underneath. I wonder if they got all their furniture second hand. The battery in the TV remote was dead. The AC unit on the wall doesn't work (hint: just lift the cover and manually set it)

The rooms are tiny and dark.

On top of that, they charge a $25 "amenities" fee (funny - all their amenities are things I'd expect from you know... a hotel!) and $25 valet parking. Except the valet is never there to get you your car or to pick it up. So I usually just walk in and drop the key off at the front desk. I can't wait until the FTC comes down on these hotels with their hidden amenities fee - saying pool/jacuzzi/wifi/breakfast is a separate mandatory fee is deceptive - we *expect* that in the original price per night).

The pool that you can use is across the street at the Marriott, which is the most pathetic excuse for a hotel pool I've ever seen.

Internet wifi works fine except the hours of 8pm - 10pm, when everybody is on it, so it crawls (I was there for four nights, and noticed this)

For $230/night ($180 + $25 + $25), I'd expect a lot, lot more. This place barely meets your expectation of what a hotel should offer. I remember checking in, and a couple was talking to the front desk about the absence of a public computer (apparently it's broken). This hotel literally offers you a room, a bed, and a shower.

This is the second Aston property that has been underwhelming. Think I will basically avoid any Aston properties from here on out.

The only upside to this location is that it's in a great location with many awesome restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo