“Great hotel, great service!”
Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel, great service!”
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a 9 night stay at Hotel Renew with our 19 month old son. We had an amazing time at the hotel. The staff are extremely friendly and are willing to go above and beyond to make sure you are happy and have everything you need. We requested a room change after our first night and Angie was great in helping us out. All the staff, from Angie to Rena and Grace, all the doormenm, and Keikalani who was there at breakfast took great care of us throughout our stay.

The hotel is right next door to the Aston Waikiki Beach hotel and just steps away from the beach. Beach towels, chairs and mats are available at the front desk daily. We went over to the Marriott across the street to use the pool which was great. We also visited the activities desk at the Aston Waikiki Beach hotel as this is the sister property to book a tour to the North Shore.

The rooms are decorated well and are comfortable. Rooms were cleaned well daily. Everything we needed, the staff at the hotel were there to help - from directions to storing frozen veggies and heating them up for our son. We requested a late check out as we had an evening flight and again Angie was able to help us out!

We would definitely come back and stay here again! Thank you for making our 9 nights such a great experience!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Familytravels V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Mixing business and pleasure has its challenges and the front desk staff and valets made it a smooth experience as I switched between selling textbooks and caring for my 6 month old baby for 9 days. City View Room was average size, but efficient to accommodate 2 huge suitcases, random bags, stroller, car seat, etc. on built in benches plus shelves in bathroom made it easy to store toiletries. I totally recommend this hotel for a break from 600 plus room hotels where you are just a number. At Hotel Renew they know your name and greet you with a smile. :)

Room Tip: If you can spring the difference ocean view rooms looked phenomenal!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SmilinginSeattle
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Excellent location, excellent service by staff, very pleasant room, even beach towels and chairs for the beach are provided. Breakfast was included, fresh fruit, tea and coffee, and some very sweet bread choices. Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annelies F
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just stayed 7 nights at the Hotel Renew. I booked through Agoda based on the price and other reviews I had read.

We stayed on the 5th floor, a double room ocean view. We arrived at the hotel at 8am fresh off a flight from Sydney. Our room wasn't going to be ready until 2, which was fine anyway.

It was a small room but a good size for the two of us and we really didn't spend much time in it anyway. We did have to pay the $25 amenities fee for daily use of wi-fi, gym, pool and beach towels and chairs. Oh and breakfast but we didn't try it.

The pool and gym is across the road at The Marriott, it was great! It really didn't bother us that it wasn't at our hotel. It's about a 100m stroll to Waikiki beach, perfect location. The staff have been amazing, very friendly and helpful.

The only negative thing I have to say about staying here is the noise from the street was quite loud at times but nothing that bothered us to much.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and we will definitely be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sammi14
Angeli F, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Aloha Sammi14,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of your recent holiday here at Hotel Renew by Aston. It seems that your time spent with us was filled with great memories and an overall positive experience! It is truly a joy to receive such glowing remarks from our past guests. In addition to our fabulous location and service-oriented staff, I’m thrilled that you and your partner were able to enjoy some of the many amenities that we have to offer. Our package is quite comprehensive and includes such perks as in-room WiFi and safe, fresh continental breakfast each morning, use of resort pools, fitness center and Jacuzzi, unlimited DVD rentals, mobile concierge, and our signature aroma concierge among other things. All in all we hope this made for an amazing and unforgettable experience along the shore of beautiful Waikiki Beach.

On behalf of all of us here at Hotel Renew by Aston, I’d like to say “mahalo” and “aloha!”

A hui hou kakou! (until we meet again!)

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and booked this hotel based on the reviews here on TA. We had just completed a 17 hour travel day when we arrived to Hotel Renew around 10pm and were looking forward to a nights rest. First impressions were great, the front desk staff were welcoming, the lobby was very nice and you were offered a glass of juice & a cool towel as you awaited your room keys etc. So far so good!

We took a quick elevator ride to the 3rd flood and the door opened to a very dimly lit hallway. We arrived at our room, opened the door to be greeted by the inviting smell of armpit. The windows do not open so you are stuck with the AC as your only way of getting air from the outside. There were greasy handprints all over the black headboard and wall above the bed, hairs stuck to the tile in the bathroom and the loosely fitting bottom sheet was just on enough to cover the stained mattress cover. Not exactly what I was looking for after being exhausted from traveling all day. So, I called the front desk to let them know that our room had been hastily cleaned and that we'd like to move if possible. They told me they'd have to call me back - I waited 20 minutes or so, no phone call back. So, I went down to the front desk and was told they didn't have any other rooms and that I'd have to stay in that one. No offer to have the room we were in cleaned. I reluctantly returned to our room put on a hoodie, sweatshirt and socks and climbed into a dirty bed because all I wanted was sleep! We woke up about every half hour thanks to the broken air conditioner that sounded as though it was going to fall out of the wall. Worst night sleep I've ever had, I would've been more comfortable sleeping on a towel on the beach!

I wore flip flops in the shower and anytime I was walking around the room, the lights were so dim in the room who knows what other filth was on the floor. Day 2 the housekeeper didn't change the sheets, clean the handprints or get the hairs off of the tile in the bathroom and the room still reeked of BO - even after I made the front desk aware of it the night before!

Thankfully we didn't come to Hawaii to stay in our room and spent as little time there as possible.

Pros: it's a short distance to Waikiki Beach, restaurants & shops. The hotel is located on the East side of Waikiki beach close to the Honolulu zoo and is slightly less congested than the other parts of the beach.

Cons: Poor housekeeping, $25 "Resort Fee" per night (which they don't advertise and this place doesn't have a pool or gym so I'm not sure how it qualifies as a resort), $25 a night parking, lots of street noise.

There is no excuse for poorly cleaned rooms. I'd rather stay in a clean outdated room than a dirty 'boutique' room any day.

Will not be staying here again and will be weary of any Aston property.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TravelBeanKG
Angeli F, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Aloha TravelBeanKG,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit with us here at Hotel Renew by Aston. We truly appreciate all guest feedback, as we continually strive to improve upon the experience that we offer. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our welcoming team members and signature greeting upon arrival, as well as our premier location in a tranquil setting amidst the hustle and bustle of busy Waikiki Beach.

In addressing your concerns, I would like to confirm that we do in fact offer a comprehensive amenity package that is advertised on our website. This includes use of two resort pools, fitness center, Jacuzzi, wifi, in-room Keurig coffee machine, in-room safe, unlimited access to PS3 games and DVDs, Aroma concierge service, mobile concierge app, and a generous daily continental breakfast, among other items. We offer this as a way to enhance the Renew Experience while simultaneously giving tremendous value to our guests.

Please accept my personal and most sincere apology for the condition of the room during your stay. Please know that we hold ourselves to a much higher standard, and always strive to be the best in all areas of comfort and cleanliness. Our Executive Housekeeping team has been notified, and I can assure you that the issue has already been addressed and corrected.

Please feel free to contact me directly at res.new@astonreservations.com should you have additional concerns. We want to do everything possible to rectify this matter, as we take this very seriously.

Again, we graciously accept both your praise and suggestions and thank you for your time. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Mahalo,

Ontario
Reviewed 1 March 2014

At check in there's a bit of a rigamarole about giving you a glass of pineapple juice and a scented oil of your choice for your room. It's a nice idea, but not really carried off with panache.

The room is fine; we had a balcony from which we could see the beach. We were able to sit out on it and have wine in the afternoon, that was nice.

Very close to Waikiki beach, and they happily loan beach chairs, towels, mats. A very short walk to all the the touristy stuff. I also walked about 15 minutes to the Rainbow Dinner to get a plate lunch - which is the meal of choice for President Obama when he visits town, apparently.

A guy was stabbed on the street about three buildings down one night while we were there. In front of the Hale liu, if you'd like to take a look.

For the location the price was pretty good, and the staff was eager to please. I'd stay there again if I went back to Waikiki beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony with a view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gifster
Angeli F, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Aloha Gifster,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at Hotel Renew by Aston. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our premier location in the heart of Waikiki, our inclusive beach amenities, and most importantly our eager and service-oriented team members. Of course it’s wonderful to hear you were able to follow in the footsteps of President Obama, as many of us locals often do! Here at Hotel Renew by Aston, we strive to create a relaxed and welcoming oasis within the entertainment and action that Waikiki has to offer, and it seems we were able to do just that. Again, “Mahalo” for your endorsement and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Oakland, California
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I really want to give the Hotel Renew my highest endorsement. So very many things to appreciate. The decor, apparently recently redecorated, is very clean and modern, very zen. The staff are uniformly wonderful and helpful, pleasant and accommodating. There is an adequate if not plentiful breakfast bar and the wifi is free.

But there were a few things that I'd characterize as warts. The card key system didn't work reliably. There were signs of slipshod construction and maintenance. The sliders in our shower kept sliding open. The faucet over the sink and tub were loose. And there were a number of charges - a bottle of water here, a coffee there - that were an unexpected irritation.

These things may be to be expected given how expensive it must be to do business in Waikiki but, as I say, irritations.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family