“like staying @ a”
Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The design of the entire hotel, lobby, lounge and rooms were very clean yet earthy with lots of limestone. We enjoyed our stay here more than our stays at the "W" hotel and the Royal Hawaiian (the Pink Palace). The beds were more comfortable and the air conditioning was definitely more comfortable versus the other more well known hotels. I believe they must use"swamp cooler" in the other hotels because the bedsheets always felt damp even with the units running but with the air conditioning units at the "Hotel Renew", we never had that damp/cold feeling. I understand alot of the "good" hotels in Waikiki have these type of "swamp coolers" because they are cheaper to operate but it really interferes with a good nights sleep. Also, we had the 80" projector TV screen which was great. The decor was modern, much like you would see in a "DWR" catalog. The bathrooms were of excellent quality (Starck fixtures, I think) and design, with a "spa-like" feel. The overall feel of the hotel is HIP/COOL, not campy "Hawaiian-style". Its actually more of what you'd expect from a "W" Hotel but with a better overall design from the lobby to the bedrooms and the bathrooms and definitely the cooling units. We plan on returning again this summer "09

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank ferraritestarrosa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,301)

Reviewed 17 March 2009

Me and my wife stayed in Renew in the end of february, begining of march, for a week. We arrived there at 10:30 PM, saturday (we came from NY...), and the guy at front desk was very nice, like all the staff during that week. Nevertheless there were some problems. We spent 7 days at renew; for SIX DAYS one of the elevators do not functioned!!! Anytime we have to go up there were a long stay in the lobby (going down were by stairs as well...). And 2 lamps of my room were off all week long, making all the time a "romantic mood" in bedroom, even when want to read or find a clothe... The # 1 hotel in Honolulu wouldn't do mistakes like that.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fred_Brazil_69
plouie, Hotel Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2009

Dear Fred_Brazil_69:

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us at Hotel Renew. We are a service-oriented business and with feedback like this we can be certain to provide our guests with the quality service they are accustomed to.
In future stays with us please feel free to call the front desk at any hour with items like bulbs being out or any other deficiencies in your stay that you feel need to be corrected, and we will be happy to take care of you immediately in any way we can.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer our apologies and explain why one of our elevators was inoperative during a portion of your stay at Hotel Renew.
Living in a remote island locale like Hawaii is a gift and a blessing, but there are some drawbacks to island life, one being that a lot of the products one might take for granted living in a major mainland city might take anywhere from two days to ten weeks to arrive on our doorstep in Hawaii.
So when a part that operates one of our elevator doors became inoperative we did everything in our power to get the replacement here as quickly as possible, flying it in from the mainland and having the technicians here first thing after it arrived.
It is unfortunate that our guests were inconvenienced as we work very hard to provide our guests with the best level of service possible, and in those instances when it is out of our hands we do everything in our power to make up for that in any way we can.

With Warmest Aloha,

Reviewed 16 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Renew for our honeymoon during the first week of March. I had done quite a bit of searching for oceanview rooms in Waikiki, and the honeymoon rates at the Hotel Renew were by far the lowest. Because these were the lowest rates I could find, I was a little worried about what the quality of the hotel would be, but the reviews on Tripadvisor won me over. The reviews are right -- the Hotel Renew is a great hotel and an extremely great bargain. The best aspect of the hotel is the staff. They are the nicest hotel staff I have ever encountered. Every staff member we dealt with, from the valet guys to the cleaning staff to the front desk staff, had a genuinely warm and friendly attitude and were very professional. On several occasions, my husband sat at the bar and chatted with the staff members about their recommendations for things to do and see. They were so kind. To show us how to get to one place he recommended, the bartender even took out a guidebook for tourists and made a photocopy of the relevant pages so we could take them with us to find our way. A couple of the guys who work the valet area were really above-and-beyond helpful to us, too. Please keep up the good work guys! Your efforts are noticed!
As for the rooms, they are modern and well appointed, with some cool touches like the giant projection TVs. I would describe them as "cozy," but the size is adequate. And the ocean views from our floor were great. The hotel is located one building back from the beach, but because the building in front of it is low, we had a full view of Waikiki beach. Overall, everything at the Hotel Renew was as we expected or better. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PortCityPJ
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Travelling alone to Hawaii...although daunting was a fantastic trip. The staff at Hotel Renew were fabulous - always smiling and always helpful. From cleaning staff to Management. Very relaxed atmosphere - and the bed... must come with a warning that you won't want to get out of it... absolute gold.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else upon my return to Hawaii... its wonderful... aesthetically beautiful... clean... and great staff... can't ask for more!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank tdougas
Reviewed 15 March 2009

It's a block from the water, if that, at the end of waikiki, just before the park. The staff is very helpful, very friendly, ask for the beach chairs (they offer towels and mats, but have chairs too) all free. The room was modern and clean. I'd have liked better lighting, but that's being picky.

The only thing i didnt avail myself of was the free breakfast. Never any free tables when I came downstairs, but that's okay. Take advantage of the free drinks on Thursday evening. If i would go back to honolulu (which i wont, was bored silly) and i wanted a boutique feel, i'd stay again. I felt like they knew me, and as a solo traveler, that was a nice feeling. They will also book you a shuttle to the airport - $10 vs. a $40 cab ride.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank vast
Reviewed 15 March 2009

We spend the last 4 nights of our Hawaiian vacation at Hotel Renew. I'm no big fan of huge resort-like hotels (we mostly stayed in B&Bs or small hotel the rest of the holiday), so this place seemed the ideal choice: no swimming pool, fitness center, restaurants or other amenities, great location and reasonable pricing. After all, we came here for the ocean (not to swim in a pool), and Waikiki is packed with restaurants and all other amenities... it's a 3 minutes walk at worst.

The place is very near the ocean, as there's only the ResortQuest between it and the waterfront. If you're at least a few floors up (we were at 8th) you get a great ocean view, and if you have a corner you'll also be able to see Diamond Head. Commanding, and romantic. The rooms have modern-style furnishing, and everything is almost brand new and immaculately clean and well kept. There's free high-speed WiFi Internet access.

The one thing we really liked in this place was the kind and helpful staff, which really doesn't make you feel like a number as it happens in other hotels in very touristic places. Everybody, from valets (Tyler, Paul and Kris were all so nice) to barmen to folks at reception (Robert, you're very helpful and fun as well), always had a word to share. We we got there, I went inside the valet-only parking with my car by mistake (the sign isn't tat clear, actually, a big red "Do Not Enter" would do much better) and I found myself among cars packed like Tetris pieces and wasn't able to exit: Tyler was really kind and without a problem solved the situation, always being courteous.

There is a complimentary breakfast, which is actually more than enough to kick your day off (well, we're Italian and don't eat too much at breakfast, maybe it's not enough if you're used to a cooked breakfast) - anyhow, all the parts of a continental breakfast are available here. There are not many tables, but it's a 5 minutes wait in the worst case, and you can also use the sofa at the front desk: nobody cares - we were even allowed to change some clothes there the last day after returning from the beach, staff is really great in making you feel comfortable. There's a bar in the hall (which is a relaxing and intimate place, by the way): it's never crowded, so it's perfect for an evening mai tai.

The hotel has no parking unless you use the valet, which I highly recommend. It's a kind-of-steep US$ 20.00 per day (but they gave us the last day free as we had an evening flight!), but it's really handy as you can take and return your car how many times per day you want at no extra charge, and you'll avoid feeding parking machines all the time.

All in all, we found this place really lovely: it's laid back and relaxing, but still right in the middle of Waikiki action - the crowds are just 50 meters away. Would definitely choose it again if going back to Hawaii (which I really hope, but it won't be that soon I fear ;-)).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lordarthas
plouie, Hotel Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2009

Dear Iordarthas,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always make it a priority that all of our guests are comfortable and pleased throughout their entire stay. With our property being small, we have the great advantage over bigger hotels to provide a more personalized service for a reasonable price. We take great pride in being number 1 on TripAdvisor and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Oahu. Thank you again for your feedback.

Warmest Aloha,

Reviewed 14 March 2009

The boutique hotel has brilliant interior design through and through. Definitely charming. Nice to be a block from the beach too.

Trouble comes at breakfast time. They have 72 rooms. Breakfast area has only 4 2-person tables. Available only between 7:30-9:30. You do the math. It's easily filled up and people are waiting for you to finish so they can take your table. Not exactly consistent with the relaxing ambiance the hotel wants to maintain.

For the price we booked, it would have been a good deal. But they charge $50 a night for the 3rd person in our room seems excessive.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends

Dear BlueWhirl,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. I agree with you that our proximity to the beach is one of our many great attributes. The charming interior design you referred to is largely accredited to an acclaimed designer from San Francisco who was involved in every detail of our design.

Complimentary continental breakfast hours are from 7:00A-9:30A. Within this 2-1/2 hour period, we generally have a pretty good flow of guest traffic. However, there are some days when we notice peak times and everyone does get a little cozier. We have been busy looking at various workable solutions to help ease the traffic so that our guests can thoroughly enjoy their breakfast. You'll be glad to know that we will be adding tables during our breakfast hours to accommodate more guests.

As far as the additional fee for a third person, it is a common practice amongst hotels in Waikiki. Rates are normally based on a double occupancy. Our neighboring hotels charge fees anywhere between $40-$60 for an additional adult.

Again, I appreciate your feedback of our hotel and I welcome you to contact me with any additional comments or suggestions.

With Warmest Aloha,