“nothing exceptional but its value”
Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Tacoma WA
“nothing exceptional but its value”
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Were all those reviews in the months of March and April 2009 really independently done, or was there a planned strategy to up this hotel to #1 with a flood of high reviews, all at the same time? I chose this hotel because of its #1 Tripadvisor rating. It's a decent little hotel for the price (good value), but there is no way I would rate this the best in Waikiki. Why? No gym, no lanai, no restaurant, a bar that is only open a few hours every night, a mediocre continental breakfast in a tight little space (also doubles as the bar at night). Our room was spacious, clean, a little noisy. Free Internet access. Can't turn just one or two lights on - either all of them go on or all of them must be turned off. Cool black/grey/white decor. Beach towels and chairs for guests. 1/2 block from the beach. OK, many good stuff, but it's just a small botique hotel that is priced well for its location.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank arlenejoe
plouie, Hotel Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, 29 April 2009
Dear Arlenejoe,

Thank you so much for the feedback regarding your recent stay here at Hotel Renew. As we are constantly striving to improve our guest's experiences, we truly appreciate any and all comments and recommendations you might have. First we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us. We understand that there are many choices for accommodations in Waikiki, and we are glad to hear that our beautifully appointed wi-fi rooms, competitive rates, and premier location were to your liking.

Now it is true that we do not possess the amenities of the bigger and less personal resort-type properties. However, most of our guests enjoy the peace and serenity that comes along with this. Being that we are centrally located in the heart of Waikiki, many guests enjoy the relaxing stroll to the many award winning restaurants within walking distance of us. Moreover, our guests also enjoy 24 hour access to top-notch fitness center facilities just 2 blocks away for a small additional fee. And while we do not advertise our balconies, we do in fact have some rooms with lanais and are assigned based on requests and availability. Furthermore, in all of our rooms we have installed state-of-the-art adjustable lighting systems that let our guests control not only all lights simultaneously, but each light individually as well via a master bedside control panel.

Again, we thank you for the valuable feedback. We would love to welcome you back in the future so that you can take full advantage of all that we have to offer hear at Hotel Renew.

With Warmest Aloha,

P. Louie
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 April 2009

... and I too can confirm that everything is true. The friendliness of the staff truly stands out in a overall very pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank sebbo13
SF Peninsula
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We stayed here for six nights. Loved the place. Great location, very friendly staff, reasonable price. Trendy lobby and rooms. Some noise on the ocean-facing side from the neighboring hotel's outdoor patio, but it usually got quiet in time for us to get a good night's sleep. Valet parking only, but guys were very friendly and fast in getting the car. Quite relaxed atmosphere of a small place, rather than feeling overrun with tourists as can be the case in the larger hotels. One of the rooms had a very large projection TV, which was an interesting twist.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Back_Alley_63
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I've made a practice of booking hotels based on Trip Advisor reviews, which has never led me astray in all my travels - hence my booking Hotel Renew for an Easter/birthday trip. I was admittedly a bit concerned after subsequently reading some TA forum comments about possible "planted" reviews; however, having now stayed there, I can honestly endorse all the positive comments made about Hotel Renew.

My basic requirements for a hotel stay is that the place is clean, quiet, comfortable and safe. Hotel Renew checks off all those boxes, with some nice extras such as early check-in, in-room safe, bathrobes, borrowing beach chairs and towels, etc. The rooms really are lovely - my husband and I stayed in an King Ocean View room and it was well worth it. My uber-selective spouse even said he'd stay there again, which is high praise indeed (although I suspect the presence of the wide screen TV in the room may have helped)! As already noted in other reviews, the staff is indeed very friendly, efficient and expedient with requests (a big thank you to our housekeeper Mary Jane, who kept our room pristine for our week-long stay).

The hotel is at the quieter end of Waikiki Beach, about a block from the Zoo. Its location helps in reducing traffic and other "beach buzz" noise but the main Waikiki shopping/restaurant strip and its conveniences are less than a minute's walk.

If you're looking for a relaxing place to stay, you really couldn't go wrong with Hotel Renew. The great reviews are all true and in a perfect world, all hotels would be this good!

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andiepow
West Midlands, UK
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Everything that can be said has been said about this hotel. The Staff will always make or break a stay whatever the condition of the hotel. The Staff of the Renew were second to none. The hotel surroundings were quiet, peaceful and allowed you to relax after a hard days sightseeing. It will not be everyone's cup of tea, but for my husband and I it was the best.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TigerWestMidlands_UK
St. Paul
Reviewed 12 April 2009

The hotel has been refurbished and the lines are clean, simple, Japanese in flavor. The rooms are immaculate; the hot, needle shower is most welcome after a day of sight-seeing. The lobby has intimate alcoves. The continental breakfast is replete with fruit, yogurt, pastries, juices and a great island coffee. The staff is knowledgeable and sincerely seeks to make your stay enjoyable. Jackie makes a great Mai Tai in the bar, and you might find yourself unexpectedly chatting with Dan (the general manager), who is quite the raconteur. Robert at the desk and Will out at the bell stand are always smiling. Add to all this that you are one minute from Waikiki...what more is there to say?

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilmarinaio
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 11 April 2009

We just got back from our stay at the Hotel Renew and I am just thrilled by our experience there. I am very, VERY picky about the hotel we stay in so the reviews and the great rate we got won me over. Usually, it is just my husband and I traveling but this was our first "family vacation". That means my husband and I, 7 & 5 year old boys and our toddler daughter. First impressions are amazing here! We were greeted with wonderful scented towels and the best pineapple juice served in chilled glasses. The boys really thought that was cool. The hotel is beautifully decorated! You can tell someone spent a lot of time thoughtfully planning each detail.

Our room was lovely and while it was a little small, it did fit 2 double beds and a hotel provided crib (another plus!). Great touches included the fridge, the fun lighting (our kids were fascinated by it), the bedding and the free wifi. The projector TV was not as practical with a big family since someone was always in the way but it would be a neat touch if we had left them at home!

The staff was SO genuinely friendly and helpful. We loved the beach towel check out and the boogie boards they had available for us to borrow. I thought the breakfast was great but my husband and the kids were not as impressed. I would not say it was the most kid friendly food ever but they all LOVED the pineapple juice. Valet was super fast and very helpful as well. Housekeeping was so accommodating - we asked for extra towels a couple of times and to have the bed linens changed 1/2 way through our stay and everything was done promptly. The front desk staff even let me print out our boarding passes on their computers.

I gave it a 5 but my only complaint as far as cleanliness was the rubber bath mat. I put it down in the bath to bathe my toddler and when I pulled it up I noticed there was mold underneath the suction cups. Not a huge deal - I just rolled it up and put it aside for the rest of our stay. I'm just a little anal about that sort of thing! Everything else was super clean and housekeeping was wonderful about getting rid of all the sand we tracked in!

We had a great stay here and we plan on staying there again on our next (child free) trip!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
plouie, Hotel Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, 13 April 2009
Dear The_Qs,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback we receive from our previous guests so that we can constantly improve the hotel. I am truly sorry to hear about the bath mat experience. I assure you that this has been relayed to the respective department head and we will definitely have this rectified. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are glad you loved your stay with us and hope we see you in the near future.

With Warmest Aloha,