“The Tripadvisor page is framed above reception!”
Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 9 May 2007

Yes it's good ... Location is good, room is average, but service is what really counted here - friendly answering emails, friendly at check-in, looked after my luggage, called my phone to let me know when I could check in (arrived early), friendly at check-out, organised the shuttle bus to the airport for me ... simply friendly.

• Stayed: May 2007
25  Thank tripper3000
Write a ReviewReviews (2,301)

Reviewed 9 May 2007

Before I went to Hawaii, I spent 8 hrs on the internet reading reviews trying to find the best hotel within my price range. Since I wasn’t renting a car, and this was my 1st trip to Hawaii, it was very important to get in a good, safe area with restaurants, convenience stores, and various places within walking distance. I got just that at Ocean Tower during my stay April 9th -18th, 2007.

My good 1st impression of the hotel was formed when I arrived and the General Mgr. Terry came out and personally greeted me and advised me that he had placed water and refreshments in my room (very nice after a 13 hr trip with an 8-hr straight flight). I was also honored to get a room with a balcony overlooking the ocean as requested. From the beginning, I had the impression that the Mgr. Terry and the hotel staff would go above and beyond and out of their way, to do anything within in their power to exceed your expectations.

As another example, near the end when I was almost out of cash and didn’t have the pin# on my newly assigned debit card, Mgr. Terry recommended that I try Travelers Checks at a bank…. But then stated, “if you have a problem, please be sure come see me, and we can see what we (the hotel) can do to help you.” This made me feel really taken care of as a guest. On my last day, when I was too busy packing to fix up and go down for coffee, I had asked if a staff member would drop a cup off at my door real quick. It was Terry the Mgr. who dropped it off himself. I was very impressed with the spirit of excellence, professionalism, & genuine warm hospitality of Mgr. Terry, Angie, Grace, Keenan, and Fai Yun. Local Hawaiians are the most amazingly kind, open, sincere, generous, and finest people I have ever seen anywhere in all of my travels.

There then was LEONOR WONG. She is a truly exceptional and amazing lady. She came in (on her day off!) and sent me out with a beautiful homemade lei and flower, bottled water, and a box of chocolates! When she sat down to chat for 20 minutes, I could tell this was no ordinary woman. Her radiant enthusiasm, sincere love for people, and the wholehearted way she thoroughly loves and enjoys what she does, is what sets her apart like a bright shining light. Even though I am an accounting major, my work background and company puts a strong emphasis on outstanding customer service and people-centric skills. After meeting LEONOR WONG, I came back to Oklahoma inspired and re-fired to be an employee with that kind of excellence with people!!! This wonderful lady even called me a week after my trip to ask how I was, and to advise me that she was sending me coffee and a box of goodies!!! Leonor, Terry, and the Ocean Tower staff treated me with such respect, kindness, and care. They really made me very happy on my beautiful vacation. I look forward to recommending Ocean Tower (soon to be Hotel Renew) to everyone I know for years to come. From the bottom of my heart, Mahalo for your “Aloha Spirit”!!! – R.

• Stayed: May 2007
29  Thank HappyinOklahoma
Reviewed 8 May 2007

Yes, I travel alot, and thought I had seen some run-down dumps, but this is the worst hotel I've stayed in.

I paid for the top class of room - a "Delux Ocean View".

The room was so old and shabby-
not just marks but large holes in the carpet
large sections of peeling and wrinkled ceiling
dirty marks on all walls
old worn out bathroom and fittings
leaking taps, low water pressure, missing tiles

I suspect the only reason that there were no bugs was that even bed bugs would not stay here.

The air con was so noisy we could not sleep with it on, but noise from the air con in all the other rooms was so bad we could not sleep with the windows open.

Breakfast included- what a joke! A couple of donuts, a loaf of bread and a domextic toaster on a tiny table in the lobby.

Friendly service- well it was not unpleasant, but it did not extend beyond polite "hellos" from the staff. They were not able to help, for example, when we asked which Luau (they have a range of pamphlets in the lobby) we should book for.

Just terriblly, terribly, run down- you felt dirty just staying there.

I just cannot believe that the Tripadvisor reviews are genuine. Don't believe the rating on this hotel- stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
14  Thank b0atie
Reviewed 5 May 2007

We spent months searching for the perfect place to stay for our 10th anniversary trip to Oahu. After reading several great reviews, we chose Ocean Tower.
After having made the reservations on expedia.com, we called the hotel to see if we could reserve a king bed with a balcony. Nothing could be for sure but the nice young man said he would put us down for one.
We arrived in Honolulu late, after a long flight. Check in for us was a breeze! In just a minute we had our key cards. We were well pleased with the room. We were able to get the king bed and balcony after all! Upon entering the room, we were greated with a cool clean room. We couldn't have been more pleased with our room. The was even a desk area where we were able to set up our lap top, and a safe, no extra charge.
Leonor Wong met us the next morning with a smile and an offer of custard pie and fresh pineapple to share. She was very friendly as we chatted, she asked what we were in Hawaii for. We answered with it being our 10 year anniversary.
After some exploring on the island we came back to our room to find champagn chilling in ice with glasses and box of chocolates and a beautiful flowering plant! We were thrilled and touched at the efforts this women and her staff and boss go to for their customers.
We did breakfast a few times downstairs in the hotel. It was a nice little set up, with a toaster and bread, peanut butter and jelly. There were also some really delicious muffins and some other types of pasteries. The coffee was wonderful, there was hot tea and also pineapple juice. The lobby area was a great place to sit and sip your coffee and nibble on the yummy muffins.
Grace, the front desk girl was very friendly and helpful. I was suprised that as many people they have in and out daily, she remembered my last name and we had not actually met. She was helpful to print out driving directions for us several times and had clean beach towels for us each day when we headed out.
The location of the hotel was great.We had an ocean view room even though we didn't pay for one. That was nice.
The beach is a 2 minute walk, and the ABC store right next to Ocean Tower. It is within walking distance of many great resturants and shops.
Over all, our stay was a wonderful time for us. We had tons of fun all day long and then had a nice cool, clean room to come back to and relax.
When it came time for us to check out, Leonor present us with handmade leis she had made for us. We were very touched. Then she handed us a little basket with more chocolates and macadamia nuts! She also sent me away with fresh baked banana bread too! We really felt special.
This place is a people friendly place. They treat each guest as though they were the most special. I have never seen this high quality customer service before in my life!
If you are looking for a place to stay that is close to the beach, this is it. This is the place to stay no matter what.
I do know they are upgrading their rooms and we were able to see 2 of these finished rooms. Wow.This hotel is probably going to go up to a 4 star rating.
When we return to Oahu oneday we will be staying with Ocean Tower. These are some special people and they are doing it right!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
33  Thank dookie1902
Reviewed 4 May 2007

We stayed here because it was #1 on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed at all! It was such a great location with extremely friendly staff, we stayed an extra week! The manager, Terry, head of housekeeping, Leonor and our housekeeper, Tina were all very helpful with anything we needed / wanted! They were around on a regular basis to interact w/ guests and offer a friendly hello. It is a smaller hotel w/ only 9 floors, so we found it to be extremely quiet. It is located just 1/2 block from the beach so walking back and forth all day long was no big deal. They offer free towels and beach mats at the front desk as well! Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a GREAT value! We can't wait to get back! M&M from CT

Stayed: April 2007
27  Thank MandMfromCT
Reviewed 4 May 2007

The other reviewers are right - this hotel is Top Notch in customer service. We stayed five nights. The room was clean and neat, but dated. They are remodeling (and the rooms will be lovely!) but who spends time in a hotel room when in Waikiki??? From the desk clerks to the maintenance man, everyone was helpful, friendly and glad to have us stay with them. We received assistance with transportation, info on restaurants, directions to sites, ways to save money...every person there was helpful and seemed HAPPY! Ms. Leonore Wong is fast becoming an internet star within these reviews! She prides herself on providing what matters most to travelers - a true welcome and a helpful staff. I've spent $200+ at hotels that could not care if you were there or not. The folks at Ocean Tower really do want you to enjoy your stay and come back again.

Stayed: May 2007
29  Thank SouthernSweetT
Reviewed 1 May 2007

Had a nice stay at the Aqua Ocean Tower in Waikiki. Hotel is so close
to the beach...not even a half a block which is great. The hotel offers beach towels and there is a Store 50 feet from the front door that has everything you might need. Rooms are nice and clean, they have a fridge and the AC works great. Lenor was great, she really has
the "Aloha Spirit " and makes you feel right at home. Ask to see the new updated rooms, they are stunning!!

It is very close to a great bar/grill called Tikis...nice tropical drinks and good food. Location, Location, Location is the big plus for staying here...the beaches out front are beautiful, there are great beaches for kids as well. You can stay right here and have a great vacation.

Alooooohaaaaaa