“Good for an adventurous person”
Review of The Plumeria

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
The Plumeria
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Good for an adventurous person”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Pros: Very inexpensive, great location near the bus lines and the Ala Moana mall, a 20 minute walk to the beach, extremely helpful owners/managers.

Cons: Small rooms, very loud at night (near police station; thin walls), management not always on site, you take pot luck as far as your roommates go.

I stayed for a bit less than a week in January and ended up bailing early as my roommates had fights on two occasions in the wee hours. This was NOT management's fault and they were extremely apologetic and generous with my refund. I think it's still an excellent value for the adventurous, tight-fisted, flexible traveler with few expectations (read: college kid or similar). It's close to groceries, a thrift store, Starbucks (in the Safeway), and UPS shipping store. Adequately clean but the pillows were pretty flat. Overall, I was satisfied but not thrilled and would have been fine except for the fights.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ellen E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Basel
Reviewed 17 January 2013

And you don't pay a lot, so don't expect too much. However it is a good deal - especially for Hawaii. The staff is friendly and helpful - already a big plus. The place could be a little bit cleaner and there are a couple of maintenance issues - but overall I can recommend it for the location, for the friendliness of both staff and guests and for the unbeatable price. Don't forget to bring your own towels.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
chiang mai
Reviewed 4 December 2012

The Plumeria management was very helpful and courteous. I booked a week in their hostel for the Honolulu marathon and I had to cancel my trip. They gave me over a 90% refund on two days notice. They also had prompt responses to my emails. Best travels for all.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Allen C
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Over priced, so so location and very dirty. For the price you pay you don't get much for your money. Smells and very dirty. Location is a 10 minute walk from Ala Moana mall which is good but would never stay here again. For the price you pay, if you can shop around you can find hotels more in the centre of town which are similar in price and that offer breakfast as part of the price.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Jamesl1982
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The reviews written by Laerissen, Borg V and kaye m are spot on. The Plumeria is what it says it is. You won't be disappointed if you are familiar with staying in hostels. Issues of cleanliness, noise and privacy depend a lot on the other guests that you share space with. I spent two weeks at Plumeria, sharing an apartment with four Swiss that had been there for two months. There were no problems. Every day, I either walked to the Ala Moana beach or took a bus somewhere like Pearl Harbor. It was great.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank StansWorld
Zurich
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This is my last week (out of 4) at the plumeria. I wasn't really sure what to expect but I had a great time here so far. The staff is really nice and stopped by from time to time to chat when we were sitting in front of our appartement. If we needed anything they helped us out (more dishes, a rope for drying our clothes, a new shower curtain and so on...)
There are a lot of different people living there. Some stay a couple of days and others have already been living here for a couple of months or even years. But everyone is really friendly and the BBQ on Saturday is a good opportunity to meet other people.
Generally it is really quiet and eventhough it is next to the road I have never had troubles with sleeping.
Our appartement was never sparkling clean but it was never really dirty. But probably this depends on your roommates.
Also, I really liked the location. It takes you about 10-15 minutes to the beach if you walk and a couple of minutes by car. Just around the corner there's Safeway, Times, Zippy's and 7-Eleven and there's also a bus station close to the plumeria.
I would really recommend this place to everyone who doesn't need a fancy hotel but doesn't want to stay in normal hostel either.

Room Tip: Rooms in the third appartment (next to the office) seemed to be nicer than others.