“Hole in the wall Hawaaian Food Tour”
Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 26 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Hi Greg and Maile, so enjoyed this food tour. It is what I expected, going to several local restaurants ranging from bakeries, noodle factory ,local markets. I enjoyed the china town tour with their stalls of fruits, vegetables, fish , and meats, reminds me of home. My husband was able to eat his favorite local vegetable dish from one of the filipino restarants.
To review our food samples, which are filling by the way,( I have to squeeze in the malasada)
1. manapua w/ char siu, a baked version of our "siopao" soo good .
2. coco puffs w/ chantilly frosting , equivalent to our " yema" frosting ,same recipe, not too sweet--soo yummy.
3.the noodles dishes w/ korean bbq blended so well together . the longan and rambutan fruits are not new to me but is a welcome treat.
4.ma tai su ( chix pot pie) ,half moon dumplings and coconut mochi, spam musubi,and of course my favorite HAWAAIAN POKE, I could not get enough of these, sooo good.
5. the desserts, pineapple, pineapple dusted w. plum powder, banana lumpia , we call "turon"
6, last but not the least, malasada, mine was w/ pineapple filling, which was too sweet for my taste, next time I'll get the plain . remember I have to squeeze this in as at this time I was soo full, had to take a nap.
7.I bought 1 dozen of pao doce ( sweet hawaaian bread at Leonards ( where we had the malasada) it is soo good, warmed it in the oven , not microwave,

Any one having second thoughts about this tour, If you enjoy multi ethnic foods ,go for it well worth the money and experience.
thanks again, Greg and Maile and Krystal

from Pete and Lilly--- Las Vegas NV.

60  Thank Lilly V

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We knew we were in for a fun day when we met Maile and Greg as we joined their clearly identified Food Tour Van - Mercedes and with welcome air conditioning. There were a total of seven of us enjoying five hours of touring Honolulu, including Chinatown, and sampling a varied selection of great, local and multi-ethnic food. As an older couple we did not have trouble keeping up with the walking required - and mobile seats were provided when we needed a break. We enjoyed learning how to eat local fruits (longan and rambutan) and enjoying Hawaiian specialties like manapua (we had the pork in the Hawaiian sweet bread roll) and malasadas at Leonard's (NOT to be missed). We appreciated the staff effort to collect several Asian dishes in Chinatown for us to enjoy. I especially liked the stir-fried noodles with barbequed chicken. But my favorite of the day was the Coco Puff Pastry at Liliha Bakery. We were definitely ready for a nap when we returned from this unique tour. I would definitely recommend this tour as a way to discover many of the special foods available on this special island!

91  Thank NancyF_Tucson
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This tour is primarily located in the Chinatown area of Honolulu, with food ranging from manapua (Hawaiian sweet bread filled with a range of meat or sweet fillings), to fresh fruit, to sushi made with spam (I know, but try it anyway!), the cost of which is included in the price of the tour. It's suited for couples, friends, families, anyone who enjoys food! The guides Greg and Maile were friendly and informative, and introduced us to some food we would probably never have found otherwise. After the tour, they also sent all of the information about the food, along with recipes to make it at home, so there's no need to take notes or try to remember anything. They're happy to answer any other questions and direct you to restaurants on any of the islands based on your food preferences. All in all, one of the must-do Honolulu activities for me.

47  Thank Ellie S
Reviewed 7 July 2014

First this tour is not a moving buffet. You are not gorging yourself at several restaurants during the day. The heart of the tour is a couple hours in Chinatown where you sample several different fruits and local foods. We then got to spend 30 minutes wandering around the market shopping or eating. Our tour guides, Greg and Sahara were extremely knowledgeable and helpful, a rare combination in my book. Every question was answered and there were many helpful tips along the way. Besides the places we stopped they recommended other good places to eat and shop.

Look at the numbers, how many other activities on Trip Adviser have such a high number of reviews and so few negative ones? Go on the tour and you will be pleased.

91  Thank mcarrara
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I went on the Hole in the Wall tour a couple of weeks ago. It was a wonderful experience!! Our guides, Maile and Bill were welcoming, fun and knowledgeable. They gave us so much information about local restaurants and even some restaurants on the North Shore. We really appreciated their willingness to answer all of our questions. The tour itself was fun and very tasty. Plenty of delicious local food and great information about the culture and food in Hawaii. We suggest you don't eat breakfast that morning! You will be stuffed! We would highly recommend this tour to anyone who will be visiting Oahu!!

85  Thank KansasTravellinggal