“The "Cant Miss" tour in Hawaii”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 22 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
Las Vegas, NV
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The "Cant Miss" tour in Hawaii”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

This tour combines great food at hidden out of the way locations, with great island information and comfort in an upscale tour bus. Anyone who loves great food, needs to take this tour. I never would have found these places on my own. And when you eat where the locals eat, you really get a feel for the local culture and lifestyle. Matthew's extensive food knowledge, combinded with Keira's island knowledge made them the perfect food tour guides. Book up early and check out the other tours.

4 Thank JayRachlen

• Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“2 stars for the tour, 5 for the hosts”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

I have to disagree with all of the glowing reviews....I hate to write a neg review because Matt and Kiera were great hosts (and very nice people), but i honestly felt the tour was overpriced( $100/person for the hole-n-wall tour). With a few exceptions, most of the items i sampled were things i can get back at home. I think the tour is great if you don't live in a diverse city and/or you are not an adventurous/openminded eater. The background food info they gave was good, but overall i was very disappointed. Save yourself money, just research what the locals eat and just find lists.

16 Thank lll94
FeedTheWorld, Owner at Hawaii Food Tours, responded to this review, 10 August 2009
Management Response
(From Owner Matthew Gray)
Aug 5, 2008

Thank you for choosing to experience our famous Hawaii Food Tours and for taking the time to comment on your experience. We truly appreciate feedback, especially positive and constructive, as former guests of our tours provide us with an opportunity to gauge our performance and improve where necessary.

It is clear from your comments that we somehow fell short of meeting your expectations. Considering that all our guests are made fully aware of the details of our tours in advance, we must say we are surprised that you still took the tour armed with the knowledge we shared with you prior to the tour.

That said, please accept our sincere apologies and know that we, Matthew Gray and Keira, have both read your review.

It should be noted that we take everyone's opinion seriously. Every effort is taken to ensure that our guests have a great time on our tours. Yours is the only 2-star review (out of about 180 reviews) of our beloved business since we opened Hawaii Food Tours five years ago..

Should your future travels once again include Waikiki, we would welcome a second opportunity to exceed your expectations. Until that time, we wish you great health, prosperity, and a positive attitude.

Aloha from Matthew & Keira @ Hawaii Food Tours.
Manchester, TN
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“a must do for all foodies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

On vacation, I'm a foodie, so I loved this. Matthew and Keira are great hosts and will go out of their way to make it a great experience. You get to go to a couple of bakeries and try coco puffs and malasaldas. Both were great. And Leonard's is close to Wakiki hotels, so we were able to go by there on the way to the airport. Most of the tour is in Chinatown. You get to try malapulas?, which were my favorite. I had the sweet potatoe one. They had fruit to try and these coconut muffins. you get to see the market with all the meat and fish hanging about. They also stop at a place to try two kinds of pork. And then they go to Surgio's to get a plate lunch, garlic chicken, steak, and rice. It was all very good, even the rice. But I was so full, i could only eat half.

I would recommend doing this tour at the beginning of your vacation so you won't be so full from eating out. If I ever go back to Honolulu, I hope to do this tour again.

6 Thank twinkles200000
Durham, northcarolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

This tour completely lived up to the hype. My wife and I decided to do this tour our first day here (now it is the evening of the first day) and we are sublimely happy.

Matthew and Keira totally care about their customers. Between them, they know food, they know Honolulu. Their combined knowledge is encyclopedic.

Not only did they provide such a great tour with so much helpful information about the area, they went out of their way to help all of us with any question (where can I take my dry cleaning?, for instance) we could come up with. By hte end of the day, I felt like they were good friends and I was so appreciative of the ambiance they created to help everyone, couples and singles, become part of a cohesive group.

Oh, and did I mention the food? We went to so many great out-of-the-way, off the beaten track places and we were treated to delectable meals, native candies, unusual fruits, and heavenly desserts. A guided tour of Chinatown with numerous stops along the way was absolutely a highlight. The proprieters were all friendly and helpful, and it as clear that Matthew and Keira had spent considerable time cultivating these relationships.

Will my wife and I mention this tour to our friends? We will do more than menition it. We will tell them that this tour alone is worth the trip. Matthew, Keira, thank you. We just can't imagine what we will do the rest of the week to top this.

4 Thank bluedevilbill
California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A must for a true "Foodie"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

I had the best time, from the minute they picked me up at the hotel until I was droped off. what a nice and causal tour, very organized and well thought out. I would recommend this tour to anyone who likes to eat, and experiance the "local" foods while on vacation.

I will be back to take one of the other tours they offer, this time my husband wants to go after hearing me talk about how great the tour was.

thanks again Matthew and Keira!!

4 Thank kkhelmey