“On Site”

Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Burnaby, Canada
“On Site”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

nice hotel operated by Japanise owner,next to Waikiki,I stayed 7 nights in the apartament with Diamond Head and park view,very comfy 1 bdrm,staff professional and helpful,I can recomend this hotel to everyone who do not like city noise

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PaniBaBurnaby_Canada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
Dunfermline, Scotland
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed for 4 nights. Just what we needed. We wanted to be close to Waikiki, but not in the middle of it. We stayed in a Diamond Head View room, was perfectly adequate, but a little dated. Bed comfortable, nice view across park and Diamond Head from balcony. Air con a bit noisy, but kept us cool. Can't say much else about the hotel facilities because we tended to leave early in the morning and not get back again 'til evening, so never really made any use of them. Made it back in time for sunset a couple of times, which was very nice from the hotels beach.

The walk into town only took 10 minutes, or so. As has been said elsewhere, you will pass an awful lot of homeless people on that walk. We stuck to the brightest lit paths and never had any issues, but can't say we felt entirely comfortable through some sections. Our rental car was small, basic and old, so we had no concerns about leaving it on the street and making use of the free overnight parking. I was fortunately able to park under streetlights less than 100 yards from the hotel - could see car from balcony. No issues at all.

We enjoyed our stay. But, on this occasion, it was only really a place to dump our gear, sleep & shower.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Love the hotel and the location. My complaint isn't the hotels fault. The walk into town was what we originally loved about this hotel. But now with the increasing homeless population the walk is not safe. It is not well lit and people were getting attacked by homeless people every night. Don't park your car anywhere there isn't security guards at or consider it broken into. Broken glass all along this strip from cars getting broken into. I feel safer in Mexico than I do oahu now. So sad. I use to love this place. However I won't be returning. But this hotel is a great place to stay if you take a cab or travel in a large group.

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Uco_guy
perth
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Had a great stay in room 616( overlooking the beach and city ) great views.Staff are helpful and great food ( had breakfast and 2 dinners)! The rooms are small but comfortable with a .balcony. About a 10 min walk to Waikiki Beach, shopping and lots of places to eat( which can be a bit pricey)! I'll return for sure!

Room Tip: Make sure your above the 3rd floor for a view..
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suthowa
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We were deciding on whether to stay in one of the bigger hotels in the main resort or the Otani in the quieter location. We decided to go with the Otani having read many positive reviews and keen to avoid a crowded beach, but unfortunately we were very disappointed. We found the hotel staff quite distant, particular in the bar (which was like a morgue most of the time), not particularly welcoming or helpful. It lacked warmth, character and was not enjoyable for us being there. We walked to the main shops and restaurants every evening but was not comfortable with all the homeless people around. The walk was about 15 mins. The beach was nice but without sunbeds or parasols it was uncomfortable staying there for a long period of time. We were surprised to see so many dogs on the beach. The room was tiny but as we don't spend much time in there it wasn't a problem for us. However, the cleaner bashing away with the hoover at 7am was not fun! Great to see the surfers early in the morning!

2 Thank esf44
Dallas
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed in room 812, September 1st through 7th. This was my 6th time to Oahu, 3rd time to stay in this hotel, and 2nd time to stay in this same room.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that since I stayed here in 2011, the room has been further updated. There is now a granite countertop on the sink and new tile in the bathroom. The old wallpaper has been ripped off, and new paint applied. There are new fixtures, carpeting and bedding. All in all the room is much more inviting and pleasing to the eye. My only complaint, is there is absolutely no artwork...not even any cheap travel prints. I would stick a couple of pictures on the walls of palm trees or something to make it more homey. The main common areas of the hotel are still very much out-dated, but with the open air lobby and interior....you can kinda overlook that. :-) Obviously, the view from the balcony of the ocean and the city is still spectacular. This time my neighbors were quiet, so rested wonderfully. Also, compared to previous stays at this hotel, the staff was much more pleasant. I guess it depends on who is working. They still make you pay to print your boarding pass, (what a rip-off, so just checked in with my i-phone, and then printed the boarding pass at the airport). The bar is still more expensive than any others on the strip, (11.00 for a mai-tai), and the convenience store is still more expensive than the ABC stores...but, knowing all of this, I planned accordingly and tried not to dine or shop at the New Otani stores. I still had to request a coffee maker, which seems odd that this is standard in every other hotel I stay in. And, the ironing board is one of those "dorm sized" things....granted the hotel literature said you can request coffee makers and a full sized ironing board...but, why not just provide one already?

Also odd, is the in room safe. It locked and everything...but, it was not bolted to anything. I literally could pick it up....so if someone had the inclination...they could see it was locked, and know that is where I put my valuables, and just walk away with it.....very strange.....so, New Otani...please permanently bolt the safes in the room.

Regarding Honolulu, the poor WWI monument Natatorium is still in a state of disrepair, and is an eye-sore. It is my understanding that they may be tearing this grand old structure down, instead of rehabbing it...what a shame....and, what an insult to the military, that this honor to them has suffered this fate.

Also, disappionting is the number of homeless people in the city. I have been coming here for 10 years, and the number of homeless has increased probably 10 fold in that time. Where there once were a few in the Kapiolani Park, there are now dozens camped out, ignoring the no tent and no loitering signs. As I ran nearly every morning I was there, I passed by the exact same group of homeless camped out under the structure in front of the Natatorium. They had sleeping bags on the ground and benches, various food and alcohol lined up on the wall behind them. They were always there, each morning....obviously loitering. Also I noticed a group of 3 men permanently camped out in front of the Starbucks every day, on the major corner below Lulu's...just on the sidewalk with their shopping carts and sleeping bag...one even had a sleeping bag on a blow up air floatie. I am not sure what can be done about this....and we do need to be compassionate to their plight... Currently, I enjoy staying in Waikiki, and driving to the other side of the island during the day....however, with all of the homeless...I am now toying with the idea of staying on the other side of the island...and just driving a couple of times into Waikiki. From what I read, the city says they are cracking down on the homeless population...but, obviously this is just lip service, when you see the exact same people loitering in the exact same spot for 6 days in a row.

So, the hotel has updated the rooms. It is an older hotel, and has not been gutted to the studs...or restored to its original character....so, it is not going to be a 5 star property, if that is what you are seeking. But, it is nice. It is clean. The views are spectacular. This time the staff were pleasant. And, this time my neighbors were quiet. Having it's own beach is nice, and the beach is far less crowded than those on the other side of Waikiki. The beach seems to draw more locals, and that is fun. In my opinion this is the best hotel for the price.

Room Tip: splurge and get a room with an ocean view...you are in Hawaii afterall. Also, I understand the room...
13 Thank jvmaddux
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Good location right on the beach. Close enough to walk to where all the action is and far enough from all the noise to make it nice and quiet at night. Very good king size bed, but the room was a little cramped. It would have been better with a queen size bed. Excellent restaurant overlooking the beach. The staff was very helpful. An independent travel agent was available for advice on tours etc. Overall good value for money

2 Thank annette_hugh