“Not bad”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I got a great deal, but it wasn't my money. I traveled for business and stayed two days at this hotel. There are many positives. Yes it is quiet but close to the action, a boutique hotel, staff was great w/ bartender Gerry a legend with repeat patrons over many many years, many other things close by, and very pretty views.
I can't imagine ever staying here with the wife and kid in such a small room. The AC, although very good was right next to my bed. It blew down on me the first night until I was freezing. I managed to adjust the motorized air vent control, but I didn't totally get it figured out. The bathroom I thought was a bit dated and water didn't run down the bathtub/shower drain the best. The beach is small here.
I hope the info helps, I people watched a lot of happy tourists and locals in Honolulu, that helped make this business trip a bit easier.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank SoCalGringo

Reviewed 27 May 2008

This was my third visit to the New Otani. The hotel is really amazing that it can be so close to the Waikiki scene (a 20 - 25 minute walk) and so absolutely removed from it. It sits on its own beach next to the Kapiolani Park. So, the impression of one's surroundings is just ocean and trees. No street noise, no crowds of people.

Although the rooms are small, they are comfortable and clean. Parking is very tight, but they always have found a space for our car. And you don't really have to have a car since The Bus stops just a bit away from the hotel. Since we are return visitors, the hotel has consistently offered us special little favors. So, even if the location didn't bring us back, the staff's service would. It's a great property!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rohini41
Reviewed 16 May 2008

I booked this hotel and had concerns after reading all of the other reviews stating that the rooms were antiquated and customer service was horrible. All of that was put to rest when I got there. I booked the cheapest room (I value my money), and when I checked in, simply asked for an ocean view at the same price and they were happy to oblige. The hotel lobby is beautiful, with an open bay straight to the water. The room was small, but it was just my wife and I and we were not there for the hotel room. I wanted to get out, so it didn't bother me at all. As far as being antiquated, I couldn't tell. I could have marked it down for the a/c, but I didn't complain about it to maintenance since I could just leave the patio door open and get all of the ocean breeze I could stand. Beautiful view from the balcony also. I spent alot of time there. Parking is easily circumvented. $18 for valet or simply park right in the street for free. Across the street is free from 6pm-10am at Diamond Head park, and then you have to feed a meter. I don't recommend getting a rental car anyways. You're not going to see Hawaii in a rental car. You really need to get off of Oahu to do that. If you do get a car, only get it when you need it because Waikiki is within walking distance to get everything you need. To sum it up, I would definitely, and probably will, stay again. The scenery and comfort cannot be beat compared to the hotels I saw in Waikiki. Excellent place for young couples who want peace and quiet to relax between activities with a beautiful beach and view.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tfrank
Reviewed 6 May 2008

The New Otani is near Diamond Head, and well removed from the hectic Waikiki Beach area. It is a bit isolated from other restaurants and shops, but it is right on a beautiful beach with great views of the ocean and Diamond Head. It has a great beachfront restaurant and lounge. The room was small but very clean and comfortable, good bedding with duvet cover. It was a nice romantic spot, and we were sorry we could only spend one night there on our way back to the mainland.

• Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank captainmcd
Reviewed 28 April 2008

We stayed at the New Otani for a week in April. We made reservations by phone and got the internet discount as well as a week discount. We were in a Diamond Head room on the 6th floor – with a beautiful view of Diamond Head and Kapiolani park.

The room was small but clean and attractively decorated in blues and greens. It had a small fridge as well as a couple of chairs and small table both in the room and also on the lanai.

With the exception of a little noise from the street on Friday night, the hotel was very quiet. The hotel sits on the Sans Souci beach which is a perfect swimming beach. You can get beach towels, mats, and chairs from the front desk.

There are lots of food options within 2 miles (we walked because it is such a pleasant walk along the beach or through the park although parts of the park can be a little isolated late at night). All the following are nearby: Leonard’s Bakery (for malasadas), Diamond Head Market (great take-out for breakfast, lunch, or dinner especially the grilled veggies), Rainbow Drive-In, Ono Hawaiian Foods (great chicken laulau), and of course all the restaurants in Waikiki (including the Hula Grill for breakfast). We also ate breakfast at the Hau Tree Lanai a couple of times and it is very scenic.

There is a convenience store in the hotel, a Safeway less than 2 miles away on Kapahulu and, of course, ABC stores in just about every block along Waikiki, so it is easy to pick up anything you need. You can use the hotel’s valet parking or park on the street or at meters across the street (25 cents per hour 10AM to 6PM). If you are flying out late in the day you can arrange for late check-out or get a hospitality room for an hour to shower and change. The hotel has a coin-operated laundry.

As the other reviews mention, the staff is pleasant and helpful. We loved being in such a peaceful and beautiful setting but still close to the activity of Waikiki. I would definitely stay at the New Otani again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank JaviesMom
Reviewed 23 April 2008

My wife & I, both late 50's, stayed at the New Otani for 7 nights in early March. This hotel is located on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, which is less busy then the area around the Royal Hawaiian. The hotel has no pool but the beach is very nice & Kapiolani park is next door. Breakfasts & lunches are great, figure $15 per plate & dinner in the bar worked for us. We did not eat dinner in the restaurant. Staff very helpful. If you need lawn chairs for the beach just ask the front desk. At night we felt very safe walking to & from the main part of Waikiki. We prefer the Big Island, but if we go back to Waikiki will definately stay at the New Otani.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank Eugene-traveler
Reviewed 28 March 2008

We stayed three nights at the New Otani Kaimana Beach. The hotel is next to a park where there is a zoo and an aquarium. We were able to walk to those places and also to the Diamond Head crater and trail head. The walk to the trail head is a little longer, approx. 2 miles. The hotel has a nice beach in front, a great Japanese restaurant, a nice beach front restaurant and a lounge. There is a small store on-site also. The walk into Waikiki is aprox. a mile so you can shop, eat, and join the crowds there but then return to a nice quiet relaxing hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple