“A slice of paradise in heaven....”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Los Angeles, California
“A slice of paradise in heaven....”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I had to go to Honolulu for the marathon; i knew I wanted a hotel close to the finish line - this was chosen and I'm very happy with my choice - so much so that I'm going back in April....

I booked though Blue Hawaii Vacations - got a night free - stayed in the Ocean Waikiki View room - I would give my view a 100 out of 10 - I was in love with my view - the Waikiki skyline unfolded every morning wearing a new look - utterly mesmerizing - I don't think I could ever get bored with it - absolute feast for the eyes!!! My room was lovely too.....

The front desk staff, I would give 5/5 - they were an absolute delight...

Now it is an old hotel, with a central courtyard open to the sky, so don't expect shiny and up-market, more homely...but very clean and well cared for....

There is a beach, but it's kind of wierd, you can't just walk straight on and off, you have to go up and around....and the beach is tiny....compared to other Oahu ones...but many people crowded on from early day - more of a local beach.

The restaurants in the hotel were lack lustre....the bar food was passable....I tried the sushi place, good food, slow service, it was fine...the main restaurant, with the patio on the beach, I was excited to try....I explained to the hostess that I was allergic to garlic and asked if that would be an issue - I was assured no.....however, once I was seated, by the beach, with water and bread - my food options sharply diminished once the chef was brought into the equation! The final options for me were a/ salad or b/ a double order of, not cheap, mushrooms on toast as my entree....I walked....

My friends dined there often and loved it; if you have food issues, beware....

There are so many great restaurants in Honolulu that it was not an issue....see my other reviews!

The Otani is parked at the other side of the park to downtown - I was alone walking, briskly, up to midnight, and felt safe - there are tons of homeless people, but they keep to themselves and don't bother you....it feels a bit creepy...but I was fine.....

All in all - I love the Otani - so looking forward to going back - I have requested my same room....lovely to be removed from the madness of Waikiki but close enough that you can indulge with a 10-15 minute walk!

If you want fancy and modern, stick to the chains, if you can afford it, do the Royal; if you like a good deal, with the best view in the house, and a relaxed atmosphere, choose the Otani....Aloha....Yvonne

Room Tip: I loved my Ocean Waikiki Superior....stunning views of downtown Waikiki and the Ocean...I think I wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Yvonne M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Polish first
Midwest
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We chose the New Otani because of the reviews and the value. We were very happy with our choice. The hotel has a very nice open air and Asian style ambience. Our rooms were on the fourth floor of the main hotel and had beautiful views of Diamond Head during the day and the lights of Honolulu at night. The rooms were on the small side but nice, clean and modern. The staff were courteous and friendly and we had a great time with the waiters at the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant. We only ate breakfast at the restaurant (be sure to make reservations) but they were the best we had on the islands. Be sure to try the Macadamian French Toast with fresh fruit. The restaurant is right on the beach and has a beautiful view of the ocean. The location for us was ideal - it is located away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, closer to Diamond Head - and quiet. We enjoyed the 15 minute walk along the beach and park each night to try out various restaurants in downtown Honolulu and we needed the walk after eating the filling and delicious dinners each night!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BlubirdTraveler
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Under the Pali of Diamond Head, the New Otani Kaimana provides everything you desire of Honolulu without all the overcrowding. The upgraded rooms on the west side of the hotel provide sweeping panoramic views of downtown, the perfect vantage point for viewing the Aloha Friday fireworks displays each week.

The staff are superb; courteous and helpful. The onsite dining is very popular locally which is always a good sign, reservations are necessary but worth the planning effort. Don't miss the French Toast for breakfast at the Hau Tree Lanai.

The Asian flavor of the ambiance is rightfully subdued.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the south side and the west side have the best views of the water and downtown.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank atx_diver
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at the New Otani for 4 days at the end of our Hawaiian honeymoon. We spent the majority of our honeymoon on the Big Island, but wanted a few days in Oahu to relax and check out the Pearl Harbor memorial. We picked this hotel because we wanted something a little more quiet than the hustle and bustle of Waikiki beach. It is located on the far end of the beach, down near Diamond Head. Also, we got a very good deal on this hotel. We were able to get a beach front room for the same price of a non-view room at comparable hotels down on Waikiki beach.

Our room was modern and recently renovated. It was a gorgeous corner room with views of both the Honolulu skyline as well as the ocean. It was great to sit out and relax on the balcony overlooking the ocean. Awesome sunsets. Service in the hotel was good - - we ate dinner at the restaurant and had great meal. The beach is really nice there too. No pool, but you didn't really miss it with the great sandy beach. It was about a 10 or 15 minute walk down the beach to Waikiki, which was perfect for us. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sara210
Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

At the quiet end of Waikiki this hotel exceeded our expectations. Quiet, relaxed and absolutely wonderful hotel staff. The staff were always extremely helpful and all genuinely friendly. We stayed in a moderate room. They are small and showing signs of age, but we knew that would be the case as the rooms were accurately described on the hotel website. The Hau Tree Lanai restaurant is a real treat for breakfast and offers one of the best Loco Mocos around. Pupus at the Sunset Lounge is a lovely way to end the day and Gerry makes a great Mai Tai and Margarita. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a beachfront location with great swimming beach, but doesn't want to battle the crowds on Waikiki.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue E
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I chose this hotel because of the many positive reviews it got. Either I'm staying at an entirely different hotel or guest have low standards for boutique hotel. I am staying in the main building. The lobby area looks reasonable and the dining area overlooking the beach is exceptional. When I reach my floor, it's dark and dingy. The layout looks more like a motel.the walls need painting and quite bare. A few cheap paintings would help the aesthetics. The basic room is just that. 1970's looking and small. The view is not bad with diamond head to the left and the beach around the corner on the right. Breakfast is expensive. A buffet would work better. The access to the beach is great. The surrounding area is nice and quite but dark and a bit scary at night. If I paid outright cash for this room I would re-book. I used my points for this can't have too many expectations.i can't say that I would ever consider this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank HennaHands
KaimanaHotel, Director of Sales at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and review on Trip Advisor. The category you were in was Moderate room, which is our most economical room out of 16 other categories here at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. This room has undergone "soft" renovations over the past years, however we are planning to do a complete overhaul renovation later in 2014-2015. Your patronage is important to us and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you in the future. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention. Mahalo Nui Loa, from the staff and management at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a wonderful time at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel during our stay in August 2013. I booked this hotel via hotwire and got a really good deal (all other hotels were fully booked and extremely expensive during summer time). We had a room with the ocean view and saw the beautiful Waikiki sunset. They also have this automatic A/C system, the A/C turns off by itself when you open the door/window in your room. It's very energy efficient and I really liked it. The only down side (or maybe good side for some) is the hotel is off the Waikiki strip. If you don't have a car, it's quite inconvenient to get around because cabs are expensive. However, if you want a silent romantic getaway this is a perfect location. I would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family