“Recent Stay for Ukulele Festival”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I have now returned from Hawaii and had time to reflect on the two weeks we spent at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel on Oahu. The first thing that comes to mine is some great service in the midst of a personal crisis from many staff; Orlando, an employee on the Main Desk stands out as having been extremely helpful during that time. He went above and beyond in helping us- nothing was too much trouble and he was professional, helpful and sensitive to our needs. We would recommend the hotel on the quiet end of Waikiki beach- superbly clean, the place had a really good feel to it. Great little beach down below and walking distance to the delights of downtown Waikiki and beyond. Much better than those on the other end which felt a bit like "Disneyland on steroids" (if you know what I mean). We just wanted peace and quiet, which is what we got. A most enjoyable hotel to stay at. We were with a large group for a musical event across the road at Kapiolani Park, and to accommodate lots of visits from group members requested- and were given- a coffee percolator, microwave and electric jug for the duration of our stay. We would recommend the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel for a quiet stay in a convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank johnnavon

Reviewed 6 August 2014

When I opened the door of my room I said "wow" - the view was incredible. The room was looking down all of Waikiki, in particular over the little golden sand beach directly below the hotel, and the old swimming pool where Duke apparently trained for the Olympics. They must have been renovating because on the floor above me rooms were still being worked on during the days, painted, etc. My room was lovely, clean and new. The bed was super comfy, the pillows squishy and feathery. The room was quite small, but perfect for my short business trip. I took the 10-15 minute walk into the heart of Waikiki, and it was really nice. Not very far at all. The room was very quiet too. When I have stayed in the center of Waikiki I have had a hard time sleeping because of the noise. Here it was peaceful and lovely. Didn't try the restaurants, but they looked very popular. $25 fee for overnight parking. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: I loved my room overlooking Waikiki. Worth extra $. Just stared at the view for hours!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachel049
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Close to Diamond Head and Waikiki, but still a short distance from all the crowds. We walked .6 miles to Starbucks a few times. Go upstairs to LuLu's for breakfast. Good value and food. Back to the hotel...rooms are small, but clean, with big screen TV and nice bathroom area. I broke the shower head and it was fixed within a few hours. Good water pressure in the shower. Service is great with free beach towels and beach mats to checkout. Nice restaurant and bar, but a bit pricey. I had a little trouble with the valet parking guys putting our car so close to other vehicles that I had to climb in the passenger side and over the transmission shifter to drive the car. He tossed me the keys and said "you can get it". The hotel credited back two days worth of valet fees for the poor service.

A BIG WARNING TO DRIVERS: it is illegal to use your cellphone in the car. My son (driving, but stopped at a light) was checking the GPS on his phone and written a $297 ticket.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank VanguardTX
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Quiet, peaceful, friendly staff, free wifi, great beach next door 5 minutes away from your room and only a short walk to the centre of the action - definitely returning! Can't imagine anyone having a bad experience here..

Room Tip: room with ocean views the best
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We enjoyed staying close to Waikiki without feeling like we were downtown. This location, next to the "locals' beach," Kapiolani Park, the zoo & aquarium, as well as great little cafes and restaurants on Monserrat Avenue. Plan your trip to coincide with some of the free festivals in the park, such as the Ukelele Festival every July. The hotel is comfortable for couples or families. With the kitchenette, it's possible to save on restaurant meals. Our room had a balcony with a great view of palm trees and the beach stretching all the way down to the Royal Hawaiian--great place to watch the sunset over Waikiki!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kekerica
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked here for our second trip to Hawaii as we read there was a lot of construction work in the main part of Waikiki.(international market flattened and new shopping centre being built)We were not disappointed it was lovely and quiet.The beach was much nicer too ,wider and not so hectic with good snorkling .
Our room was a little on the small side ,but clean and the bed very comfy .We had a small baloney with views of diamond head .The hotel however is undergoing a refurb which didn't effect us but we had one of the old rooms.You can see why it needs an over haul .The hotel was Built 50 years ago and our room was stuck in the 80s .none of the cupboard doors fitted in the holes ,the split system leaked and there was great lack of electrical sockets .We did have a peep in the new rooms and they were lovely .The staff are nice ,and very helpful.
The pay off for being in the a quiet part of town is the walk to the main part of Waikiki every day.The resturant at the hotel is lovely .great view & food but there is little else that end of town.The distance didn't bother us but for some reason the lights on the seafront path don't come on til well after dark ,and even if they are on ,there are parts of the path that have no lights ,hell parts of the path have no path .so sensible shoes and a torch is a good idea.
It is well documented that there is large numbers of homeless people on Waikiki beach ,so the night walk back to the hotel can be a little daunting ,but I only felt threatened once .so if you are a little infirm and are travelling alone I wouldn't recommend this hotel for that reason .

6  Thank lardybum6025
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in the tower in mid--July for 5 nights. Half way through I saw an enormous cockroach on the bathroom counter, which I then killed. We got transferred to another room, at my request. The rooms (both) are very small. The hotel is undergoing a very needed renovation. Everything in the room is dated. But the A/C worked well, and the location on the beach is really nice. Restaurants are expensive, modern, and we liked the Japanese one. Car parking is by valet, moderately expensive (24/night), but the workers are very efficient. It is about 1/2 mile walk (nice) to restaurants and shops in downtown Wikiki. Hawaii is expensive, but I feel given the fauna and room size this is not a very good deal. A few years ago we stayed in Wikiki at Embassy Suites hotel - pricier but modern and a better deal in my view.

Room Tip: point west or north
6  Thank Hugh M