“Best of both worlds”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Our annual trip to Honolulu at the New Otani did not disappoint; we love the location of this hotel, the friendliness of the staff and the way you feel like part of the neighborhood (one I wish I could afford!). The hotel is completing it's room upgrades and everything looks great. The restaurant seemed busier than normal but the food and totally awesome location are as good as ever.

2  Thank jlrpdx
There are newer reviews for The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

Reviewed 7 October 2009

My wife and I stayed at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel and loved it. We did some research using this site and wanted to stay away from the noise and crowds of Waikiki. It is perfect hotel for those who want to be close to the main drag of Waikiki but far enough to be quite when your relaxing. and the walking to Waikiki and the walk from hotel to top of Diamond head will burn off all the food you can consume -- so eat up and walk where you want to go.

We had use of the beach just out side the hotel and the park next to it was nice as well.
Note try snorkeling on hotel beach I saw plenty of cool looking fish right there.

We ate at the restaurants there several times and love the location. The staff was helpful whenever we needed them to be ... the last three nights we upgraded to an ocean view and it was wonderful and I recommend .

All I can say is do a little research here on trip advisor and you will get plenty of tips if you decide to stay here.

Here are my tips

#1 stay at the New Otani and get an ocean view ... ask for free upgrade and be nice about it... beggars can't be choosers.

#2 we used Jays limo for transportation to and from airport. $50.00 each way plus tip and go ahead and spring for fresh cut lei upon arrival. It is a little more than taxi but hey it is cool and spacious and the way to arrive and depart.

#3 Take the shuttle to other sites like Hamana Bay and Pearl Harbor. Concierge there at hotel can make all the arrangements about $16.00 per person per trip

#4 rent a car and go to north shore and Jump off the rock at beach and go and spend the morning at sunset beach ... then try shrimp trucks and have a shaved ice cone.

#4 eat breakfast at Hotel restaurants

#5 to relax and just unwind close to hotel ... Check out LULU'S good food and drinks and good live music too

#6 My wife and I enjoyed two meals at the Hula Grill above Dukes in Waikiki... get there about 5;30 pm =Wait for a table along the rail and set and eat dinner while watching the sun set from an out standing location.
Food is in large quantities so maybe share an Meal and leave room for huge desert portions.

#6 If you want to try something different and like food take the Hole in the wall tour one of your first days.

#7 from hotel walk to top of Diamond head 45 minutes to inside crater and 30 minute hike to top do it in the morning and it is a good hike and great view... there are taxis that will take you or bring you back but you still have to hike to top ... water and tennis shoes only if you are smart?

#8 Don't try to do too much just relax and sit on beaches till you get sun burned than do out and eat well... repeat this often and have fun.

#7 We like this end of the Island and would recommend this hotel and location.

2  Thank JESUSFOLLOWERS
Reviewed 27 September 2009

My spouse and I arrived in Honolulu on a Friday evening. We were absolutely thrilled to be visiting the islands and had planned quite the gauntlet for the days that followed our stay in Oahu. We traveled to four individual islands during our trip, begining with our stay at The "New" Otani near Waikiki. The hotel's location wasn't bad, it was a few miles down from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, nestled right under Diamond Head crater. I wasn't too thrilled with the $18 per day parking charge that was not communicated prior to the stay, but whatever, parking fees do not really surprise me these days. My issue with this hotel is their absolute lack of customer service and the unbelievable extreme to which this hotel is mis-managed. They mistakenly upgraded our room. There was no communication of this as the bill that was signed when we checked in had the original fee listed with our reservation. We inquired upon this with a phone call after we made it to the room. We were not told anything, in fact, the receptionist said, "I have no idea what you are talking about, I'm sorry.". Terrible.

The hotel itself was decent. I would not stay there again. The room we were in must have been one of the nicest in the hotel (the ridiculous charge that I will get to in a second), and that is not saying much. In a way, I'm happy they screwed up because I would have probably been shocked had I been forced to stay in any other accomodations. That said, the hotel is away from the crowds of Waikiki, so that is one positive thing.

But I really take nothing positive away from our stay due to the ridiculous error made on their side regarding our reservation. We were called on the day we were to check-out by some lady claiming to have just returned from vacation. She said she had reviewed our bill and needed to add some charges. These charges totalled $1,500. I kid you not. There was no effort by their staff, management, ownership to remedy or rectify anything. They illegally charged the account without signature or allowance to do so, and when called about it - they did not budge.

Absolutely stay away from these thieves. There are nicer places to stay anyways. A confirmation and your initial signature means nothing to this hotel - they charge you as they please. Be warned!

12  Thank listen2music
Reviewed 9 September 2009

The location is perfect: the hotel is far enough from Waikiki to get a good night's sleep but still within walking distance to take advantage of all it offers and the walk to Waikiki was scenic and fun. It was so quiet and peaceful at this hotel. This hotel is lovely, very pretty and clean. It is on Sans Souci beach, a small, quiet beach at the doorstep of the hotel.
The staff is consistently sweet and helpful. They give you beach mats and fresh beach towels every day. The Hotel has a convenience store on hand which came in really handy for things we forgot to pack.
The on-site Hau Tree Restaurant is an island institution that rivals any beach-side setting, dinner was delicious: here you'll find a fantastic restaurant right on the beach and feel the ocean breeze as you dine on excellent food and tropical drinks. The food here is amazing, especially the fish and seafood.
We opted for a Ocean View Deluxe Room but they upgraded us for free to a Ocean Front Room. The private lanai stretched the entire length of the room and turned the corner to extend along the other side, so there was a complete ocean view, and then a view of the city lights the other way. The view was spectacular, we could see and hear the ocean all night, look at the glittering skyline of Honolulu, and enjoy the park scenes.
I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GORILLAS63
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We enjoyed our stay and moved to a room with a view of Diamond Head, which was much better than our original location! The hotel is older but the history supports the ambiance--overall, cool place, great location and very accomodating staff

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jennifer s
Reviewed 12 August 2009

It was just a short walk from Waikiki but the hotel was very quiet and nice. Having a beach right outside the hotel was another great part of the stay. And the restaurant's food was delicious!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank loveehawaii
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Overall satisfied! Just a quick note Hotel is a good, location is good, but wait till you see their Asian style, No privacy bathroom doors. Imaging your partner had a bad upset stomach. You are going to here it All.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends