“Peace and quiet in Waikiki..”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Oahu, HI
“Peace and quiet in Waikiki..”
Reviewed 10 August 2007

Booked 2 rooms - one for me and the other for my teenage daughter and her 2 girlfriends. I had the ocean view room. The room itself was a bit small, considering the divider had a single bed in the living room. The bedroom itself had 2 single beds, so 3 people fit comfortably in one room. The view itself was very gorgeous. and mesmerizing. I took a nap one afternoon with the screen door open and fell asleep listening to the ocean. My daughter and her friend's were put into the older 3 story walk-up building. It was very spacious and you could easily fit 5 people. They had a microwave, dishes, a dining table with 4 chairs, large outside balcony, coffee maker and 4 large closets, a vanity station, and small shower. For the value, I suggest getting the 1 bedroom. I liked the fact that your hotel card key is used for each floor of the walk-up building, insuring better security. The location is perfect for a Waikiki Shell concert. Food wise, you should venture downstairs to have coffee and great baked goods (muffins, sinful desserts, etc). The restaurant downstairs has a great Sunday breakfast (hint: make reservations) and the food was a bit pricey, but worth it. My daughter ordered breakfast through room service and it arrived within 10 minutes. I have yet to experience any hotel beat this record time. The location being farther away from the noisy part of Waikiki is great because you are forced to walk at least 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the better restaurants. The food areas closer to the hotel are the local Starbuck's and Lulu's. Not to mention Teddy's Burgers. For parking, arrive early and park on the street (free parking) as there are many stalls near the hotel. The Sans Souci beach is much cleaner than the more populated part of Waikiki and is drop dead gorgeous. The hotel provides a small safe and internet service has to be ordered for a fee. Not having to wait for the elevator is a plus because you do not wait long for one to arrive! This is one of the older hotels in Waikiki and is a popular place for those who prefer to be near Waikiki away from the loud noisy streets. Call them today!

• Liked — The large tub and separate shower in the Ocean Front room
  • Disliked — Parking is a problem here. The attendants seem to park cars closely. Made me a little nervous, so I parked on the street.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
11 Thank Oheloai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Polish first
Lancashire
Reviewed 11 July 2007

My wife and I have been staying in this hotel regularly since 1990. We find it wonderfully relaxing particularly if you are staying in a room at least on the seventh floor facing the ocean. The swaying coconut palms that are just below you are amazingly hypnotic. This is the only hotel that I know that I can spend hours on the balcony with a book ; totally at ease.
The rooms are a little small but with the beach immediately adjacent and the park also adjacent it is easy to go for a peaceful stroll so if like me you quickly go ' stir crazy ' it will not happen here.
There is a small store just at the front of the hotel to buy sandwiches and beer and wine so it is entirely possible to have an al-fresco picnic in the park, or on the beach, or on your balcony. If you take alcohol onto the beach be careful as in June within seven days we saw three Police patrols looking for drugs/alcohol ? I personally find that reassuring - just be careful.

The staff are friendly and helpful and many have been there for years !
The restaurant overlooking the beach and at its level is lovely.

• Liked — The ambiance
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank DavidBLancs
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 5 July 2007

Stayed here twice, and will stay on the next visit. This is why I consider this hotel the best in Honolulu:

Location. It's a bit of a stoll from the crowded zoo of Waikiki, but that's a good thing, because the hotel's beautiful little beachfront is serene, almost private. Diamond Head is looming on the land side, instead of layers of high-rises and street traffic, and you can see the rest of Waikiki arrayed down the long curve of the beach. What may have killed the popular appeal for this hotel, aside from the fact that it's out of the action, is the newer high-rise next door, which casts a big morning shadow on the beach.

Rooms. We go for the oceanfront deluxe, because of the view (see photos).. The room is pleasant, spacious and clean. The person saying he had an oceanfront deluxe is mistaken: the palm trees only block the lower oceanfront standard rooms.

The restaurants are fine. Nothing spectacular, but it's al fresco on the beach, which makes every meal memorable and -- something you won't get in the center of Waikiki -- intimate. The locals like to hang out here, especially around cocktail hour, and the atmosphere is unhurried, cordial and casual. The service is a bit slow, but if this is a problem then you have no business on tropical islands.

If you've come to Hawaii to shop, party and do the tourist stuff, this is not the place. But if you want Oahu without feeling you're in Miami Beach, this is the place.

Note: We got a good deal on the room through the hotel Website, but now it looks like you have to book by phone.

• Liked — Not at the beach but ON the beach. Serene location.
  • Disliked — A little plain, but the spectacular murals (the floor-to-ceiling windows) conpensate.
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled as a couple
14 Thank jack_us_dk
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed 23 June 2007

We spent 4 nights here the second week of June. I was very pleasantly surprised. The check in was smooth and the staff very polite and helpful. The hotel is very clean and although the room was small, we did have an ocean view. When I say small, I mean not much bigger than a cruise ship room and vey little storage. Since we were going to be at that hotel such a short time I wasnt going to complain, my husband however was not pleased. It really was a tight fit.

The bed from the mattresses all the way to the pillows was a statement in comfort. I did not mind being in a hotel bed one minute I was there and I have never said that about a bed other than my own in my life. Believe me what the room lacks in space is made up for just by a good nights sleep.

The room had a little fidge, but no coffee maker. I always travel with a small one of my own so I wasnt put out by it. It was nice drinking coffee on the balcony reading the paper that was included with our room pkg. every morning. Boy, those surfers sure get up early to ride the waves! The Otani also has a beach front location and a very nice beach. I've heard some say they snorkeled with good results, we however had no luck and we only did it once, so who knows.

The hotel has a couple of different resturants, We ate breakfast there one morning and it was good, but a little pricey, I thought. There is also a snack bar that has beach access that was pretty good also, offering sandwiched, hot dogs, chile, soup, muffins and drinks. I also used the laundry mat on site, which did the job quite well. There is also a small convinience store which is great for snacks or souveniers on site as well. I think it"s open til 10PM or so.

This hotel is close to the towns activity yet set apart by a park so it never feels crowded around the hotel area. Very relaxing to walk to breakfast through the park and watch the ocean! Lu Lu's is just up the street and offers great food at a reasonable price.

All in all this is a great place to stay and I would stay there again with no problem. It's clean and very accommidating. It's not a 5 star, but your not paying 5 star rates either. If ya can't handle this hotel, you probably should'nt travel much because there's a lot worse out there!

• Liked — The bed and the way its dressed
  • Disliked — Too small and no storage
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank zfordgal
Pacific Palisades
Reviewed 12 June 2007

We reserved a "deluxe ocean view room" which was approximately $260 per night. Our view from the 3rd floor was of a lot of palm trees, the park and if you leaned out, of the ocean. Ask and wait if needed for a 5th floor or higher room. It's not worth the price on the third floor. Still it's better than staying at most hotels in Waikiki. The walking distance to a the beach can't be beat and being across the street from a spacious park is also a plus. The room for the price came with very few amenities, a very small refrigerator, an old hair dryer, and that's about it. I would also recommend that you look into staying at the Iikai Hotel on the opposite side of Waikiki. It's expensive, but it has fantastic views, it's quiet as well, very spacious rooms, and you get so much more value for your money.

• Liked — Proxminaty to the beach and park and the quieter atmosphere
  • Disliked — Poor quest amenities, poor view for price
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Apple_UCSB
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 June 2007

My husband and I got married at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel in May of 2007. We were absolutely impressed and delighted by the staff and hotel from the moment we arrived.

We had booked four nights in an Ocean View room and were upgraded (for free!) to an Ocean Front Deluxe room. The views were amazing from this room. From one side of the balcony, we overlooked the quiet, serene, and lovely Sans Souci Beach, with Waikiki to our right. From the other side of the balcony, we had a breath-taking view of Diamond Head.

The room was very large, with a refrigerator, television, love seat, hair dyer, bath robes, and Neutrogena toiletries. They provided a nightly turn-down service with fresh flowers sprinkled on the pillows every night. The room was perfect for us, though it could have used some sprucing up with some fresh paint here and there.

The location was ideal. It was very quiet, and at night, all you could hear were the waves from below, yet Waikiki was a quick five minute walk down the street.

There's a convenience store attached to the hotel where one can buy liquor, souvenirs, and a selection of groceries.

We ate at the Hau Tree Lanai and Miyako restaurants at the hotel. Both were wonderful. We especially enjoyed having breakfast at the Hau Tree Lanai every morning as we looked out over the beach. The poi pancakes were delicious!

Our wedding ceremony on the "Imperial Lanai" was lovely. For those looking for a planned elopement or small wedding location, I can't recommend this hotel enough!

• Liked — The quiet location.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aimzabeth
Sydney
Reviewed 21 May 2007

We stayed at the Otani only for one night to break up our trip from Sydney to Las Vegas. The room was adequate for the amount of time we spent in it - i.e we didn't arrive till about 1am & booked out about 10am so really only needed somewhere to sleep. The room was a bit on the small side so don't think you would want to stay in a standard room for any longer than a day or two.

However the location was great. It was out of town at Diamond Head but right on the beach. This allowed us to go for a walk by the sea and adjoining park when we woke late & then sit in the restaurant which was right on the beach for breakfast & enjoy the view. After another short walk it was time to pack up, check out & head back to the airport for our flight on to Las Veagas.

We would certainly do this again. It allowed us to go through immigration in Honolulu rather than Los Angeles or San Francisco which was much easier & quicker. And it was nice to go for a walk by the beach in the sun when we woke.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple