Waikiki Beachside Hostel
US$502
US$206
US$361
  • Pool
All reviewssemi private roombed dormgreat locationpeanut butter and jellymixed dormwaikiki beachcleaned dailylounge areafree breakfastbring earplugsair conabc storeenjoyed my staydiamond headroommatesblockcurfew
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The location of the hostel is great, the staff is very friendly and fun, nice vibes from the lounge area - always with people getting together, drinking, enjoying the music and having a good time. The bedrooms are clean and with small kitchens inside which make them perfect. The breakfast is good as well. Loved it every minute spent there! -- Cheers from Brazil!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Definitely a good-value place for what you would pay which is like maybe five times less (!) than what you would pay for the Marriott or other big hotels nearby right on the Waikiki beachfront. The Waikiki beach is totally in the walking distance, and that beachfront road, Kalakaua Ave., is totally alive at night with tons of shops, places to eat, torches lit with flames dancing in the wind (especially very nice ones flanking the Duke statue). If you're looking for nice and cheap fast food, go to McDonald's on Kalakaua not far at all from the hostel, but not Burger King nearby which charged a lot more for the similar food. There are also quite a few ABC grocery stores near the hostel where you can get everything from toiletries to bananas to postcards for souvenir.

If you're doing an early morning tour of Pearl Harbor, Queen Kapiolani Hotel is where you would want to wait at for your Discovery or something tour bus, and that big hotel is just at the end of the back lane of the hostel and on the left. The bus stops to and from the Airport are also in the walking distance from the hostel (I dragged my suitcase from the arriving bus stop to the hostel and then back to the departing bus stop to the Airport).

The Wi-Fi was excellent. The only thing maybe they could improve on was providing towels and small bars of soap and shampoo even at a price. I actually bought a towel from them for a dollar or two, but I had to go to an ABC store for soap.

It is definitely recommended for budget travellers who can do shared accommodation and without a TV but you will get to enjoy all that Waikiki beachfront has to offer for a fraction of what people at big hotels pay. Last but not least, the staff were very friendly as well, the gentleman at check-in had a friendly smile and the gentleman at check-out very kindly helped me with storing my bags at their storage since I could not take them with me on a Pearl Harbor tour before leaving the Island.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Myo M
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Definitely recommend. Counter staff are incredible helpful. Located one block back from the beach. We were in the semi private room (sort of a room within a room) which was great (shared bathroom with the two others who stay in the room outside yours). Breakfast each day was great. We were even offered it when we got there early on our first day. Free bag check if you arrive early. Loved our time here.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great location just a block away from Waikiki Beach with a huge party atmosphere most nights. Free breakfast every morning is good as well. Not the cleanest hostel though, especially the showers so I would recommend bringing a pair of thongs.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TripMember112420141
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our transitional lodging (meaning we couldn't check into my conference hotel until two days later). Waikiki Beachside Hostel was a pleasant surprise. It was inexpensive, but clean. Decor is dated and dingy which makes you think it's dirty. However, upon closer inspection it's not.

My two travel companions and I shared a 4 person dorm room. The young lady from Hungary who shared our space was hardly there, was quiet and did her own thing. No conflicts or weird vibes.

I think this hostel is a perfect solution for short-term, budget-conscious travelers/visitors to Waikiki.

Oh, did I mention the free wi-fi and all-you-can-eat toast? High-end hotel I'm staying at now doesn't offer either (daily wi-fi charges and no breakfast of any kind unless purchased in hoidy-toidy restaurant).

This seems quirky, but breakfast under the building's overhang was quite relaxing and delightful. I had fun making pbj sandwiches or filling up on toast and jam before heading out for the day.

If I return to HONOLULU I will definitely stay there again. A two-minute walk to central beach area and shops is by far the greatest part of this place.

I concur with R00m402's review