“Functional, but you can do better”
Review of Holiday Surf Hotel

and 1 more site!
Holiday Surf Hotel
Ranked #76 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Functional, but you can do better”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a week near the end of May. Reserved through Booking.com.
It looked like it was cheapest available ($77/night) .. BUT ... WiFi is $13.50/day, and has to be paid for the full time of your stay; Parking (if you have a car) - $20/night.

So your actual total for this hotel might actually be as much as $110/day (if you have a car and buy the wifi). Book some other hotel instead. For $100 a night you can get free wifi, continental breakfast and possibly parking.

You don't really need a car in Waikiki. The bus service is excellent, but we rented one for a day to go on a trip to north shore. Paid the parking fee because impossible to find street parking in the area.

No breakfast of any kind, no coffee (except for that cheap coffee maker in the room)

A tiny, old style tv. No HBO (I missed my Game of Thrones)

Power went out twice during our stay for an hour or so.

On the plus side:

Kitchenette: We had full size refrigerator, stove, dishes, microwave. You can cook your own meals a couple of days or and save some money. Food Pantry is just a few blocks away.

Hotel is located 1 block from major bus lines, 3 blocks to the beach.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank alan r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
Maricopa
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Staying in Waikiki can be expensive but Holiday Surf can help your budget. We stayed for a week at the Holiday Surf at the end of April in Room 301. It had a double bed in the bedroom a single bed in the front room and a trundle futon bed. I purchased the deal in October through Priceline under the going rate. The room was clean and we used the kitchenette for breakfast as another money saving tactic. The only air conditioning unit was in the bedroom, so we left it on day and night with the door open to cool the front room. Several great cheap restaurants were nearby and it was a quick walk to the beach Although the room was not soundproof and adjacent to a busy street, we had little trouble sleeping after a day sightseeing or swimming. My only complaint was that the trundle futon was hard as a rock, so we had to stack the two futons. Parking is scarce in Waikiki, but is available under the hotel for $20 a night. There is free parking on Ala Wai all night, but you have to move the car by 8AM.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ann L
Sundsvall
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would rather stay at Polynesian Plaza if you want a budget option. The location is actually not so good and the wifi didn't work during or stay. That is a bit complicated if you need to book tickets and so. Small tv with a lousy picture and the bathroom stank of urin.

I would not stay at this place again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anthonia L

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed the last week of January, 2014. As a three star hotel, it provided a good location to Waikiki, off the major road, about a 15 minute walk to the beach, with easy access to stores & restaurants. Nicely situated on the canal for a pretty view. An older building renovated with a blue ocean theme. My room and windows faced the street so there was a lot of noise. I'm a light sleeper so used my earplugs every night. This would have been great for a family with mom, dad and a couple kids as there was a bedroom with a big, comfy bed, and an open area with two single beds and a kitchen area. Everything was clean.
There is no swimming pool or restaurant but lots of places to eat a few blocks away. Internet/WiFi is not free. The Hotel suggested using Discount Shuttle from the airport, but they never showed up. Instead, Fly Shuttle & Tour (808-260-9766) saved the day and got me to my location and for a cheap price.
This is a great place to stay if looking for an inexpensive, clean hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the street
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 2globe4
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Surf Hotel in a Studio room with 1 double bed. The room size was decent, but the room faced Ala Wai Blvd. so it was very noisy with cars, trucks, and motorcycles passing by at all hours. The windows were glass shutters and they did not block out all the noise. You can imagine how difficult it would be at night when you're trying to sleep. The bed wasn't all that comfortable either.

The bathroom also had a few drawbacks. First, to flush the toilet you had to hold down the lever for about 3 seconds (otherwise nothing would happen). Also, the shower head sprayed water very wide and there was no way to adjust the head to spray straight. These things were little annoyances.

Another thing worth noting is that they don't offer free wi-fi. They charge $13/day and you have to buy it for the whole length of your stay, which is crazy. I just went to the nearby McDonalds, Starbucks or a few other restaurants that offer wi-fi for free.

The highlight of this hotel is the staff. The concierge and cleaning staff were very friendly and would always say hi as you came and went.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face Ala Wai Blvd. because it is very noisy, even at nights.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kix24
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Our stay at the Holiday Surf Hotel in Honolulu (Waikiki) was memorable for its friendly and helpful staff, cleanliness and terrific location to everything we wanted to do in Hawaii. The hotel surpassed expectation being budget friendly and a family like atmosphere. We could roll out of bed and walk to great restaurants, shopping and beaches with ease. The staff helped us with learning the local bus routes which made sightseeing a breeze as we rode with the locals! Thank you Holiday Surf!

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies on the second floor are the best to view sunrises on the waterway across the st...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 46Ladybug777
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've been to Waikiki before, as the lacrosse club I play for sends a team to the annual tournament held at Kapialani Park each October. Everyone typically stays at the Waikiki Banyan but when my g/f couldn't make it due to work commitments, I decided to search for a cheaper option that still had a kitchen. Location wasn't a major concern for me, as I've found that everything is within walking distance; from this hotel it's about a 35-40 minute walk to Safeway from this hotel, a 10-15 minute walk to the beach, and about a 20-25 minute walk to Kapialani Park.

The Holiday Surf Hotel seemed to meet my criteria, and for the price I paid the room and furnishings were about what I expected...maybe a little lower in standards. The size was fine, and it had everything I needed so for the most part it was satisfactory. The dishes and cooking instruments provided were perfect, and the room and items in it were all clean and well kept. However, the drapes were very thin and since my room was facing Ala Wai Boulevard, with all the street lighting my room was lit 24/7. The A/C was also very weak (I had to pull the mattress off the bed and lie it on the floor right next to the A/C unit) so combined with the light pollution, it was difficult to get to sleep.

The highlight of this hotel is definitely the people running it. Anytime I had a question the ladies at the front desk were more than happy to help answer them, whether it was regarding the best shops to get food, which farmer's market to go to, or helping me find a local SIM card for my phone. If they didn't know, they'd find out and call me in my room with the information. Service with a smile goes a long way.

The low point of this hotel, and the reason my rating is so low, is the water quality. I'm an experienced traveler and have been to many countries outside North America (India, Africa, Mexico, Europe) where water quality is a concern. But when visiting places within North America, I expect that the tap water should be drinkable and in previous visits to Waikiki -- albeit staying at a different hotel -- this has not been an issue. But at the Holiday Surf it was.

I arrived on Thursday and with the heat, I started drinking a lot of water. I'm thirsty after flying and since the lacrosse tournament started the next day, and ran over the weekend, I also needed to hydrate. By Friday night, I noticed some slight stomach cramping; like a more severe hunger pang. Over the course of Saturday and Sunday, it got worse and while I didn't notice it while playing in the tournament, when I wasn't playing it was very uncomfortable. By Monday morning, it was very painful.

I suspected the water was the reason because it was the only thing that had changed. I bought the same groceries that I do at home, and hadn't eaten out since my arrival (I like to keep my food intake consistent during competitions). As a test, I stopped drinking the tap water and 6 hours later, the cramping had subsided significantly. The next morning, my stomach was almost back to normal, so to test the theory further I drank 1 glass of tap water. Within 30 minutes, the cramps were back.

At that point I simply bought several jugs of bottled water from the store and I had no further issues the rest of the week. I'm not sure if this hotel is just older and has some issues with their own pipes but as I mentioned, I've drank from the Waikiki water supply before with no problems.

Draw your own conclusions as to whether this hotel is for you. If you are like many of my teammates and you buy water whenever you travel, then I would definitely urge you to consider the Holiday Surf. I stated the service was excellent, and with a sleep mask to combat the light issue this would be a solid place to stay at an economical price. But I couldn't give it a higher rating based on the issues/concerns I had regarding the tap water.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo