“Is this a HOSTLE?!!”

Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Denver, Colorado
“Is this a HOSTLE?!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Wow...I can't believe the rating some people give this.....and I'm not sure I can even call it a HOTEL! Awesome location but not worth UNCOMFORTABLE twin beds with crappy sheets, THIN walls, dirty and old. My poor 10year old and I had to listen to the the drunk guy upstairs throw up every morning!!! It made us SICK because it was so CLEAR.....even the vomit splashing into the toilet :(
The door to the rooms have METAL KEYS which shows you how OLD school this "hotel" is!
Check the traveler photos and SEE FOR YOURSELF!
Thank God we didn't book our ENTIRE stay here as we could NOT sleep! I paid a little more and went to the Marriott Courtyard.....Wow....King size bed and cozy sheets are defiantly WORTH the money!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Wannamaui
mpickett, General Manager at Polynesian Plaza, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
I am very disappointed to hear of your experience while staying with us.
We are in the process of designing a new property that will be in the upper upscale end of the spectrum. As for now, we are trying to operate the hotel efficiently and with a decent value for what is paid. We provide a clean, safe place to stay that is central to all the action that can be had in Waikiki.

I am sorry if we failed to meet you expectations this time around but be sure to check back with us in the future post renovation as we open the hottest hotel in Honolulu.

Thanks,

Matt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We arrived in hawaii after a 9 hour flight and went straight to our hotel.Thinking we could rest for a couple hours then go swimming with our daughters. This was a graduation present for our 18 year old so it was special. The hotel was dirty. The walls were all smudged up with ????. I didnt dare use the utensils or dishes. Had the air conditioner turned down to 60* and it was still about 80 in the room. When I booked the hotel and preapaid, I was told it had 2 double beds. When we arrived it had 2 single beds. I went to the pool side check in counter and asked about possibly changing rooms and was told that they only had rooms with 2 twin beds or 1 king bed. So i very politely asked about roll beds and was told it would cost me 25$ a bed, Our girls ended up sleeping on the floor because they wouldnt refund our money. STAY AWAY!!!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here as far as I know Beware of the boxed in shower kinda scary
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kahuna1994
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I gave this 3 stars because we went as a couple, but for any backpackers or budget travels, this place is a 5-star slam dunk.

It's location at the western tip of the Waikiki strand is ideal for two seasons: 1) it's cheaper than other megahotels on Waikiki but not much further in walking distance and 2) its the closest stop to the airport for many shuttles, so you will both be the first people off when arriving and last one when departing = shorter rides both ways. We spent $25 one-way for a cab from HNL airport.

Pros:

- location on the Waikiki strand
- lots of nearby shops, restaurants, walking distance
- cheaper price vs. other hotels on Waikiki
- balcony overlooking bustling street
- quiet secluded pool
- very spacious
- air conditioning

Cons

- bathrooms were clean, but old. The light above the sink would flicker every time I turned it on. Nonetheless, no problems with the shower as there was hot water 24/7. no fan in the bathroom
- generally old (1970-80's) furniture and old carpet
- facing the main Waikiki boulevard can make it a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper, but I didn't have any problem

Bottom line: I would personally prefer to upgrade to a slightly nicer hotel next time, but this is nonetheless one of the great values in Waikiki

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing a fair and accurate account of the Polynesian Plaza. You highlight very good examples of the experience.

We are looking forward to undergoing a very extensive and exciting repositioning of the hotel in the future - check us out on our web site in the coming months to track the progress that is being made.

Aloha,

Matt
Blue Island, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Some good things to start is that it is a great location, and the rooms are spacious. But with this said STAY AWAY it is not worth it for the quality.
Problems with the room: When we travel, all we ask is that its clean and that we know what we are paying before we are charged. We are not picky travelers, we stay at motel 8s often and have always enjoyed them, and this was just simply bad. When you first walk into the hotel you will see that the wall paper is coming off the walls, the carpet is stained, the front desk is outside next to the pool (yes outside), and it looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in weeks. We decided to check in anyway and when we got to the room it was even worse. There was brown stains on the ceiling, the paintings were out of skew, several of the drawers refused to work, the bathroom tiles were stained yellow, the air conditioner did not work, the cloth chairs had numerous stains of several different colors, and the shower door did not click right.
Problems with management: I then checked my card balance and low and behold they have many hidden fees that were not spelled out at check in. They do not use key cards here they use regular metal keys which are a hassle to carry around the beach. When I went back down stairs to explain some of my issues I spoke with the manager and he told me too bad. I ended up arguing with him and he didn't even let me finish me sentences before telling me it didnt matter what I said, they were not going to change anything. When we asked for directions to a nearby road the front desk could not tell us what the hotel address was or what direction north was, which we thought was odd because they should be trained in answering basic directional questions.
In short, there are MUCH better places to stay on a budget.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jill S
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

Honestly, spend that tiny bit extra and stay somewhere else.
Booked this place when it was owned and run by different ppl, but unfortunately my stay was after the changeover. The attitude of Ron or Rod at reception is terrible and he should be ashamed. He basically said anything discussed or arranged with the previous people means nothing now, and they won't honor it, although they were definitely charging me the week rate even tho I was only now staying 4 days.
Street facing rooms are super noisy.
Rooms are clean, but mouldy and crusty.
Beds are very comfy.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank 00charlzy00
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

Perfect location, near post office, two blocks to beach, one block to car rental. Dead center of the main street, watched the annual spam jam from my balcony. Yes its old, and a worn but its clean. Spotless. Considering where it is located it is very QUIET. My dog would be okay sitting on the chairs. Saved a lot of $$$ thanks to the kitchenette, take the bus up to the safeway nearby. The only complaint is the maid was banging on the door only to enter seconds later at bizarre times. Staff was super nice and helpful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: make sure you request a room with a double burner stove in the kitchenette. Much better setup for co...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

We walked from the Courtyard by Marriott in Waikiki which did not have any more vacancies, to the slightly cheaper Polynesian Plaza which was only 2 streets away. Although the building is obviously older than the Courtyard, the rooms and balconies are much bigger. We had a microwave and an electric hot plate as well as crockery, saucepans etc. There is also a pool. There is a little traffic noise. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We travelled to the airport by the Hotel Shuttle bus.

Room Tip: We walked from the Courtyard by Marriott in Waikiki which did not have any more vacancies, to the sl...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple