“The Ala Moana Hotel Suits Me”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I have just returned from another great long weekend at the Ala Moana Hotel. I have stayed there many times in the past three years.

I usually find check-in smooth. Many times the way someone is approached determines how they respond. The guest services rep did not have a pleasant appearance when it was my turn to check in last Friday afternoon, but I quickly got her to smile. I explained to her that I stay here frequently and really like the hotel. (Except for my previous stay, when I woke up at 2:00 a.m. in my one-bedroom suite and two security guards were walking around inside the living room area. Someone had committed suicide by jumping off a balcony in my stack of rooms and they said they were trying to find out who it was and when I didn't answer my door, they let themselves in. The suite double doors do not have an inside security lock on them. This time, I lodged a chair against the doors at night.) I also told her that there are, however, some negative reviews of the Ala Moana Hotel on TripAdvisor. She agreed that there are some issues that upset guests, especially the all too common parking problem. I told her I never have that problem, since I don't have a car! Her attitude quickly changed and when I left the counter, she was quite pleasant, smiling and joking.

Overall, I like staying at the Ala Moana Hotel. It's away from Waikiki but when you want the beach, ocean and crowds, you can walk toward the Hawaiian Hilton Resort and Spa in about 15 minutes and have those things. The Ala Moana Hotel has a walkway from its second floor to the Ala Moana Mall, where there is great shopping and wonderful restaurants.

I would recommend the Ala Moana Hotel for a quieter, business style trip. Because of its location and atmosphere, I definitely would not stay there for my Hawaiian vacation but if you are going to an event at the Convention Center only, it is a good choice.

Room Tip: Kona Tower rooms are very small with poor views. Do not take a room near an ice machine (very noisy...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank TerryJaxBchFL

Reviewed 1 September 2011

The hotel mentioned above is very clean and the service requirement was great,we actually rented a room through Albi rentals for six days and we stayed on the 32nd floor,which is the cheaper way to go for a tight budget.
The view was spectacular and the shopping centre close by is very handy,with a food court etc, all in all we had a very lovely stay at this hotel and would say it is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: One room is adequite for family of four for a few days before you fall over yourselves.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AucklandGarfield
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The hotel was clean and well kept, but the services available were a disappointment. Pool closed promptly at 7pm, and guests were not allowed near the pool area after that time. We really wanted to sit by the pool and watch the beautiful sunset. Hotel restaurant was only open for breakfast. Hotel bar only open Th-Fri-Sat after 9pm. We felt rather exiled. Service staff was formal and distant. We will not be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Name_Withheld
Reviewed 1 September 2011

As the title reveals, if you stay in the Ala Moana hotel you are risking having items go "missing." I called the housekeeping staff director and he didn't care. Never even called me back. Then I reported it to management and they didn't care either. The manager didn't even come out to talk to me or anything. The receptionist simply said, "Oh, Sorry!." So, I filed an in house hotel report, which clearly is going to go nowhere. So, beware of this hotel! I would never recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank Danny R
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed for 11 days at Ala Moana on vacation in glorious Hawaii. Double room was spacious with two queen size beds, table and 2 chairs and long desk, balcony w/table and chairs, frig, microwave and coffee maker. Front desk staff, housekeeping, and garage staff were delightful, helpful, and friendly. Hotel is adjacent to Ala Moana shopping mall and about 3 blocks from ocean/Ala Moana state park (which has beautiful views of Diamond Head). Took about 15 minutes to walk to Hilton and start of Waikiki beach. Parking was $20. a night and easy in and out. This is a busy hotel with lots of foot traffic. Only downside was the main concierge - a tall blonde - with the personality of a condescending prison guard. Each time I asked her a question e.g., for directions, a reservation, (standard concierge stuff) she was rude, rude, rude. Lord knows why she's in that job as it makes the hotel and Hawaii look bad. Otherwise, this was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank afirsttimer
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This hotel was a great base for us to experience Waikiki without the noise. Hotel is clean, safe and friendly. Travel desk is helpful and not pushy and all good tour companies will pick up from hotel. Only comment would be that it would be nice to be able to swim in the pool past the dusk closing time but I'm sure the management have a good reason for this.

Room Tip: room with balcony gives best views
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Regan29
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The price was good ($100 a night), but I think there are better choices! Look on a map and see where this hotel is located. A little too far to enjoy the Waikiki area and beaches. It is connected to the ala moana mall, convenient if you want to shop, but there are SO MANY other, better things to do!!!! There are lots of hotels right on Kalakaua -or a few blocks behind- that are just a short walk from the bars/restaurants, shops and beaches of gorgeous Waikiki!!
Also, I thought the staff was rude. The hotel is 2 different towers and there are 2 different elevators...You must get on the right one or you will never find your room!! The check-in staff does not tell you this and you are left to drag your luggage around and figure it out yourself! I felt this was terribly inconsiderate!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple