“It gets the job done”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“It gets the job done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

This hotel is conveniently located if you are in town for business - or if you are a kamaaina wanting to do a 'staycation.'

Ala Moana park is just a block away. Ala Moana mall is 2-3 minutes walk. And there are plenty of the restaurants and bars within 5 minutes walk.

The rooms are smallish - but they are clean.

This hotel offers best value when the rates are $100-$150.

Btw, we once booked a high floor sweet here (1 BR) and had a great time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank James K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I was booked here after my airline's flight was cancelled. The check-in was long (the plane was full, therefore there were a lot of us needing accommodations) and I felt the front desk ladies felt irritated and because we were mostly locals, I felt that I was being treated as a non-tourist, second rate service.

The room I was given was very good and the accommodations and the location of the hotel is very convenient for weary traveller like me who was travelling alone.

I was given a voucher for breakfast and lunch. I breakfast buffet was so-so and I felt that the choice for the $15 voucher was very limited, so I had to add additional to avail of the hot entrees. The Royal Garden where I used my lunch voucher was top notch. Very good service compared to breakfast.

Front desk service needs to improve, a little bit more of aloha, care and concern should be shown, I was disappointed with that. I have used this hotel in the past and this is the first time I felt that they have made me feel unwelcome (get it over with kind service).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 20Twenty
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel was great for a family holiday in 2006. Seven years later, in 2013, it's just as good for a two-nighter business trip.

Can’t beat the location for me ---- yes, it’s not a beach hotel, but it’s well linked to both Waikiki and downtown Honolulu by bus routes. The Ala Moana beach is a relatively short walk away (10 minutes or less). And it’s actually linked to the Ala Moana shopping center by a pedestrian bridge, making it super-convenient to go shopping, eat at the food court or other restaurants (there’s even a Jollibee outlet for home-sick Filipinos), or dash off to buy last-minute provisions. One warning --- the short bus ride to Waikiki beach was lengthened considerably by traffic jams at 4 pm, tempting me to try walking the rest of the way. Hailing a taxi for the airport was fast and convenient too.

I expected the hotel to show much wear and tear in 2013 compared to 2006 (when we were one of the first to try their newly renovated rooms). Surprisingly, the rooms still look fresh and new, not at all “tired” or slightly scruffy. The blue-green-gray aquatic décor was pleasant and very soothing. (Surprised to see that Ala Moana still uses those old-fashioned floral bed covers that most other hotels have junked long ago --- but in this case, the covers look cool and tasteful rather than chintzy.)

I stayed in a 9th floor room in the Kona Tower (really just a wing attached to the high-rise main tower) which was a bit on the small side but very well organized, with a comfy queen size bed, a good-sized writing desk/dresser, a couch (yes, an actual sofa) positioned by the window, a relaxing armchair in one corner, and a very useful cupboard supply area that includes a microwave oven, a big-enough fridge (with no mini-bar items inside, thank goodness!), a coffee brewer (with free Kona coffee on hand) and lots of cabinets to store food and other stuff. I give the Ala Moana a happy “5” rating in the area of storage space ---- by the bed, in the desk, beside the closets and in the cupboard area ---- perfect for a long-staying guest.

One big warning ---- there’s no room service. I had to go down to buy some plastic spoons at one of the convenience/souvenir stores just off the lobby for my nighttime snack, but then at worst there’s always Ala Moana Center right beside the hotel. (But stock up for midnight snacks, for those insomniac business travellers out there.) I wish I was informed about this upon check-in. Then again, there’s a pizza delivery ad displayed in the room (didn’t get to try it though).

Notable items:
--- Good view of the sea, the Ala Moana beach park and the mall rooftop, even from the 9th floor.
--- Room is bright --- great lighting all around. Congratulations. However, you have to switch the lights on or off individually, no master controls.
--- Pillows were small and insufficiently supportive, just serviceable.
--- The flat screen TV is bigger now (in 2006 it was a small affair attached to the wall), and channel selection is OK, but I found the remote control a bit clunky.
--- Internet was free --- and fast.
--- Too many signs and placards lying around on the desk and tables ---- typical for a U.S. hotel. (But then with so many cabinets, it’s easy to hide them.)
--- Ala Moana still uses those atrocious hangars (the ones that are actually attached to the closet rod, very impractical).
--- Don’t expect a robe or slippers or free bottled water. (The tap water must be potable.) When I needed more towels or amenities, the housekeeping staff was eager and willing to provide them.
--- The bathroom is OK overall. I like the curving shower curtain rod (there’s a combined tub and shower) giving you more elbow room, but the shower control is hard to figure out. There seemed to be only one direction, which gave me cold water until it suddenly switched to hot (and wasn’t that consistent overall).
--- If you have two or more big suitcases, it would be hard to fit them into the room. I understand that rooms in the main tower are bigger? (My family stayed in the main tower in 2006, but I recall the room was the same size, though we were much higher up and the view was breathtaking.)
--- You only get one phone, positioned on the desk. No second phone beside the bed.
--- The staff was uniformly friendly and warm throughout my stay --- front desk, concierge, security, managers.
--- Didn’t try the hotel’s restaurants, so can’t comment on them.

One difference between Kona Tower vs. main tower: The Kona rooms have no balconies, while the main tower rooms have small glass-walled balconies that allow you to enjoy the superior views.

If you’re staying until early evening to catch a midnight flight back to Asia, the hotel charges a full additional one-night rate, not even a half-day rate. (Ala Moana was willing to allow a 2-hour late check out privilege for no fee, though.) That was disappointing, but at least it was explained properly and professionally to me.

All in all, a solid “4” rating for a solid hotel experience. Won’t mind bringing back the family for another holiday stay at the Ala Moana (got to get a bigger room, though).

Room Tip: Main tower has higher floors for better view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank wingdaddy
AMHGM, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Mahalo for your kind words and allowing us to host you. Mele Kalikimaka and Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Ala Moana for two nights in late November. This was not our first trip to Hawaii, nor our first stay at the Ala Moana. It is a beautiful facility, but not very close to Waikiki Beach. Service was very good, and it is quite convenient to the convention center and Ala Moana Mall. Breakfast in Plantation Restaurant is greatly improved over our last stay. The bar/restaurant on the top floor features a piano bar and half priced drinks during happy hour. Loud, but a hopping place. Our room was tiny, but adequate if only sleeping in it. We were attending a meeting at the hotel, so had little choice but to stay there. In reality, it could be much better than it is, but still a great value.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael D
Fincastle, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed there November 23-24. Everyone was real nice and had great guest service. I liked the location since you could easily walk to ala moana mall and ward center was a few blocks away. The ala moana beach was right across the street as well. I looked at the reviews and noticed people mentioned the cleanliness. The room we had was just fine only thing that stood out to me was in the shower the drain cover was pulled out. I would of thought they would fix that before we got into the room but it didn't affect the shower.

Also the tv was a little static but I was able to manage with it. Other than that I was really happy how I booked a room with mountain view but instead I got ocean view which was fine because I initially wanted that but it was more expensive if I booked it that way. He hotel is a little pricey but it comes with convience and I like that!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Kristen M
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We have stayed here several times. A simple walk to the Ala Moana shopping center. Convenient to medical facilities in Honolulu. A short walk to Ward Center. Near Convention Center. Simple taxi or transit ride to Waikiki. Hotel staff is pleasant and rooms ultra clean. Rooms are nicely appointed. Close to restaurants of all sorts from food courts to fine dining. Nice pool on 3rd floor deck. A short walk to Ala Moana Beach Park. Free WiFi in lobby and rooms.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wahinetraveler06
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hotel is ideal for those who want to be near the Convention Center (2 blocks, but there is a sky bridge on the second floor to the parking lot) and the Ala Moana Shopping Center (roughly one block), but not if you want to walk right out on the beach at Waikiki. To get to a beach you must walk 2-3 blocks. This is a large modern hotel with all the amenities, though frankly I think it's petty that they only give you one packet of coffee (no choice between regular or decaf) and charge you if you want more. Must be a theft problem, but it's annoying. I was also surprised that no one (no one) at reception smiled at anyone during the 15 minutes I had to wait to register--long by my standards. The wait on elevators can be very annoying when there are crowds--they don't all seem to operate at the same time.

Otherwise, a great hotel. The breakfast is a large buffet and they give a 10% senior discount off the $16.95 rate. The lobby is large and there are several shops, including one that was having end of season discounts.

Room Tip: Rooms on ocean side are more expensive but the mountain view on the rear is nice too, especially if...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business