“Second visit in ten years; diminishing quality”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Westminster, Colorado
“Second visit in ten years; diminishing quality”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Reservations were difficult as we were four people. they could ot accommodate four people, and we were charged $259.00 per day for a room that had two double beds without enough floor space to hold four bags.Nice lanai though.
Service: abrupt, thoughtless and edgy from valet station, to other staff.
Decor: nice lobby
Internet: worst service I have ever had, with rude provider, totally wouldn't talk with me, kept scolding me, saying I had to answer his questions, and not any other ones or he would close out the ticket. He refused to hear what was wrong, and was arrogant beyond any service I have ever had. when running, the service was quite slow.
Something is wrong with the hotel. I stayed there before and it was lovely in all ways. Has this hotel been sold? Thinking of selling itself? Choose elsewhere if it matters.

Room Tip: some lanais have views others do not.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank judith l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Keaau, Hawaii
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I've stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel many times during the 40 years we've lived in Hawaii, mostly for convention travel. This most recent renovation makes the rooms and bathrooms much more comfortable. Our room was clean. We overlooked the pool and had a sliver of a view of the nearby marina and ocean. And the meeting rooms remain wonderful for smaller gatherings. The hotel is located adjacent to Ala Moana Shopping Center and is barely a block away from the Hawaii Convention Center, for larger conventions. Within easy walking distance are other shopping centers such as Ward Center. In the other direction is Waikiki and straight down the road is Ala Moana Beach Park. Ala Moana Shopping Center is a major bus terminal making more distant locations within easy reach.
Lines can be long at the reception desk, but they move quickly. More problematic are lines for the elevators.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Katharine C
Central Florida, USA
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The rooms were dirty. Changed rooms & the only thing changed was more outside light. My roommate looked at 6 others and they were all the same. The carpet & bedding were a disgrace. We changed hotels.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. They were all dirty. For $179.00 per (conference rate) night they should...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank dee d
Keaau, Hawaii
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

When we checked in, I asked for a room near the elevator because I had injured my ankle the previous weekend. I was using a cane it should have been seen as a reasonable request. We were told that the hotel was sold out so unless I made the request when I called in the reservation ( before I injured my ankle) my request couldn't be considered. I was checking in at 1:30 pm. , plenty of time to move rooms around. So, we are sent off the find elevators that are a LONG way from the lobby and a long walk to our room.
Not happy but try to make do. We were told the hotel was right next to the Ala Moana Mall. Just walk out the 2nd floor and thru Macys and you're there. Nope. 2nd floor hike thru banquet hall area with no benches. Reach the doors... Oh, you have to walk down a long ramp and across a large parking lot in the hot sun to get to Macys. No where to sit. If only the lady who checked us in had been understanding. Once we get back to the room I am done for the day. We are stuck in a small room overlooking a junky rooftop with a TV that you can't hear. The mini frig is louder than it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Faerydust
Wailea, Hawaii
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Recently stayed at Ala Moana for 1 night for business. Not enough staff at the check in at 3pm. The line was long and slow. The room for small but cleaned. Bed was soft in the middle. TV picture was of poor quality. Decided to watch netflix via free wifi. The broadband is slow.
Only buffet is available for breakfast. Used the bell desk to keep my luggage. Wow, what poor attitude.
overall, for the price of close to $200, I can get a better hotel elsewhere.
NOT WHAT I EXPECTED,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JavaAlii
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Spent 6 days whilst visiting Hawaii on business. I had the accommodation and meetings at the same venue. Service was very professional. service too was good. Good central location in the city of Honolulu.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our plane arrived at 6.30am and we arrived at the hotel just after 7.00am. We had not slept a wink for almost 24hrs and were feeling like zombies. I requested an early check in and was willing to pay extra, yet I was firmly told that check in was at 3.00pm. Forced to wander the streets, we went to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre which was next door.

We had the 35th floor room with stunning views of the ocean, partially blocked by a tall building. The room had 2 double beds which seemed to be on the smaller side.

Coming from Australia, where the standard in-room tea/coffee service is excellent compared to the Ala Moana. The room had a microwave, a coffee maker, 1 satchet of Kona coffee (for the coffee machine), 2 instant coffee sachets, 2 tea bags, 2 creamers, 2 sugars & 2 coffee mugs & 2 plastic straw stirrers (which we found much later). There were no spoons, saucers, wine glasses or kettle. If you want tea, you had to microwave your water, and you if you wanted a second cuppa, you had to reuse your tea bag, unless you pinch partner's tea bag.

Good points: Free wifi was excellent and fast, but you had to sign in every day. Free local papers but you had to go down to the lobby early, otherwise it's all gone. Walkway on 2nd floor linked directly to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre Car park and straight to Macy's. The Pink Trolley goes straight to Waikiki. Quiet and stunning views to ocean and mountain. Near Walmart and Eggs n Things (about 10 mins walk)

Room Tip: Higher floors have views to the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family