“This is where US Airways sends me each time the cancel or overbook my flight.”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“This is where US Airways sends me each time the cancel or overbook my flight.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I am more of a low key Windward Oahu dweller, but, must admit... it's fun in Waikiki. I've stayed at Ala Moana twice in the past 8 months and both times as a result of US Airways overbooking a flight or underbooking a flight crew.
It's been free for me so I don't think about how much I paid only to hear jackhammering at the Ala Moana Center parking lot, or how old and worn the bed spread is. I've had two very different rooms on each stay. In July 2013 was tucked away in a room with a view of another tall building and a parking lot. Unimpressive really. This time I'm in a corner unit with a balcony and a king bed. The view is beautiful and I can even glimpse a sliver ocean and diamond head. This makes up for the fact that I found a half consumed ice cream shake (not mine) in the refrigerator and felt compelled to sweep up all the hair (also not mine) in the bathroom before using it. Keeping my sense of humor.
My delay has me here for two days this time so I'm able to enjoy the pool and exercise room and look around at the shops. A very nice experience and I'm grateful not to be stuck at the airport for 48 hours.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank travel.mella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I traveled to Oahu for a quick 1 night getaway. Booked a package through Panda Travel and opted for this hotel. This was the first time I have stayed in the Kona Tower, and it wasnt bad at all. Nothing fancy, and the bathroom was very small. All in all however, it was decent enough to sleep in. The only complaint was that you could hear everything going on in the hallways, doors slamming, people getting on and off the elevator, and people talking as they passed. Not the best thing for the end to a romantic night.

2 Thank Waisaipapa
Oakland, California
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I enjoyed this hotel due to its location and simplistic rooms. Rooms came with great amenities that helped us with our week long stay (microwave & refrigerator). Staff was friendly and helpful whenever they were called upon. Luckily this was a great way to rebound from a previous bad experience with a different hotel. Parking was quick and easy. Highly recommended!

If you stay here be sure to walk down to the Ala Moana Park to watch the sunset. You get great views of Honolulu, Waikiki, and Diamond Head.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank OaklandAs1984
Morris County, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 March 2014

High Rise hotel next to the mall where you can shop until you drop. We stayed here because our flight was delayed. The front desk was swamped with passengers from our flight the day we were supposed to take off to head home to JFK which was closed from a winter storm. We ended up with a beautiful corner room on the 7th floor with a balcony overlooking the mall parking lot, and the Ala Wai Boat Harbor and ocean beyond.

The postage stamp room served our needs for one night. The comfortable bed took up most of the room. We laughed at the HUGE tv on the dresser. Sliders opened onto a generous lanai with city, harbor, ocean views and city sounds.

The room had a safe, small noisy refrigerator and microwave. The huge bathroom had plenty of counters and a deep tub. All in all an elegant hotel close to the convention center and mall with easy access to Waikiki.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors to get away from street noise.
1 Thank njaloha23
Winnipeg
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stay at the Ala Moana every year for a week to holiday and relax. Sure the decor is looking a little dated but it is all about location and tradition for me. This week there is a conference in town so the hotel is very busy. However, what I was not warned about is the noise from the Ala Moana Mall parking lot resurfacing work. There are about 5 jack hammers operating from 9:00-5:00 everyday and boy do they make some noise. Makes it really unpleasant to spend any time out on the deck of this ocean view suite. Granted, you really don't want to spend a lot of time in your room, however paying top dollar without any warning of what is going on makes it extremely challenging to enjoy the week stay here. For those who have reservations at this property, it doesn't look like this jack hammering will be ending anytime soon.

Room Tip: Don't take an ocean view corner room until the Ala Moana mall parking lot construction is finish...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Rudder787
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We have been staying at the Ala Moana for 5-6 years, usually for a long weekend in February, and have usually found it to be clean, friendly and convenient. It is close enough to the bustle of Waikiki to get there in a comfortable walk, but far enough to avoid the crowds. Being adjacent to the Ala Moana Mall is a tremendous plus with all its shops and restaurants. There is a significant difference in the room size, views and atmosphere in the two hotel towers. Stay in the Waikiki Tower in preference to the Kona Tower.

3 Thank 2bears93442
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We haven't even checked in yet, after getting married in Honolulu in January and traveling the States for a month, we were looking at a nice relaxing stay close to the shops. Perfect location and lobby looks great. On a really hot day we are trying to check in. First lady was lovely and said to come back as room wasn't ready. Fair enough. We come back a few hours later to get told. Check in is at 3. Asked to use the pool as it is really hot and got told no. Bell desk rolled their eyes at me when I asked to check bags in and didn't speak a word to us. I don't even want to check in now. Dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2014