“2 NIGHT STAY”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“2 NIGHT STAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

United Airlines put us up here due to maintenance issues and our having missed our connection. It was convenient to food. The hotel had several restaurants and it was across the street from a HUGE shopping mall. Although we arrived at approximately 7 pm, the concierge assisted us in getting a tour the next day, which was GREAT. I feel satisfied.The room was quiet and we slept well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
AMHGM, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
We wish your visit had been under different circumstances but mahalo for staying with us and we hope to serve you again soon.

Warmest Aloha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Ala Moana hotel is really a good choice for Honolulu - the biggest reason being its location, just a short walk from Waikiki (without being in the middle of that madness) and connected to the Ala Moana Shopping Center, which has all the shopping you could ever want and houses Honolulu's main bus terminal for great connectivity.
I have no complaints at all about the room itself. It was large and had a great balcony. The bed was really comfortable, and the room had a large flat-screen TV with many channels. It also had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.
My complaint is with the way the hotel sells some of its rooms to individuals and other corporate entities. Rather than being owned by the hotel itself, my room was owned by Luxury Suites International, based in Las Vegas. When I checked in, I was told that if I had any problems or issues with the room, I needed to call this company's hotline (but no later than 7pm Las Vegas time, if I remember correctly) as the Ala Moana Hotel management was not responsible for my room and could not help me with any problems I might encounter.
Thankfully, I had no major issues. At one point, I couldn't locate the broadband plug in the room (but there must have been one since they did have a broadband cable). I ended up being able to connect to wi-fi with no problem, so it wasn't a big deal, but they told me at the front desk that I would have to call Luxury Suites International to get any help locating the broadband plug. I recommend this hotel, but it might be a good idea to verify first whether the room you're getting is actually an Ala Moana Hotel-owned room or one owned by some other entity, for if it's one like mine owned by some other entity, any problems you might have would not receive any immediate attention from the hotel staff.

4 Thank Mark S
Tucson AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked for 8 nites and checked out after 4. Would have left sooner but my conference was in hotel. Very stingy with the coffee! Asked for an extra packet for the room (2 adults in room) and was told NO! Complained at front desk and still told "no"! Unless I wanted to pay $2.50 per packet! I've never been in a hotel that would not provide extra coffee packets -- especially since there was no place to get coffee in the hotel after the Plantation Café closed at 10am. They suggested I go a few blocks away to the Seven11. I even told the front desk that denying this simple request would make me want to switch hotels! Switched to Park Shore Waikiki (wonderful!) with a Starbucks practically in the lobby... and unlimited coffee in room! Bring it on.

Room Tip: Call Park Shore Waikiki and enjoy their "switch and save" discount when you cancel your...
9 Thank MonsoonTucsonAZ
Ron T, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear MonsoonTucsonAZ,

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience regarding the supplying of coffee in your room. Our normal procedure is to provide one set of coffe good for 2 mugs to start your day and these packets were replaced daily when the maid cleaned the room. Exceptions can and will be made but unfortunately we could did not follow through in your case.

Once again please accept my sincere apology.

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Huge hotel near the water (0.5 mile walk from the door to the water at the Ala Moana beach park). Walking distance to Waikiki, and the associated shopping area, zoo etc. Interior not amazing, but no complaints. Hotel has several restaurants, as well as a store with everything from gifts and aspirin to food and beverages. Rooms are sufficient, and come with microwave and fridge, so you don't have to eat out all the time. I could not ever get on the internet, and never got a person on the phone to help me trouble shoot, so that was a pain (I was there for work).

*be aware there is no shuttle from the airport, cab fare from HNL to Ala Moana was $50, and going back (in no traffic) I paid $36- not including tip. This was more than I was expecting when making my travel arrangements, so passing the note along to those in the same position

Room Tip: Pay to extra for an ocean view, this hotel is closer to the water than many other condos in the area...
3 Thank A S
Menlo Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

If you are expecting a 5 star hotel then go to the Royal Hawaiian. This hotel is very convenient for a number of reasons. Within walking distance to the convention center, also the Ala Moana Beach Park, even Waikiki if you feel like walking. And the extra of being next door to the Ala Moana Shopping center with all its shops and restaurants. This is a great place to stay since a lot of local people and some airline crews stay there. I travel a lot and my criteria for places to stay and eat is go where the locals go. The "Signature" restaurant on the top floor is a great place to have a cocktail and a view of the sunset. I always stay there whenever I am in Honolulu. What some don't realize is that the Ala Moana is partially a hotel and a condominium.

Room Tip: Kona tower view is not as good as the Waikiki tower, less expensive and only has 12 floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Roger T
Aloha Roger T.,
I am glad that you enjoyed you stay at the Ala Moana Hotel. Glad to see that the location suited your needs.

Hope to see you on your return trip to Hawaii. Aloha.
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Which is the best thing you can say about this hotel.

It's the only reason to stay there. Unless of course you like bad service!!!

Requested an ocean view, king room in the tower. Upon check-in was sent to a mountain view, double room. Took over an hour to get that sorted out . . .

Every request was met with a "why do you want that" response from staff. Usually takes 5-6 requests to get anything done.

Was told late check-out would be likely, actually we were asked to check out early!

Was told at check-in there would be a room available if we wanted to shower and change before flight, but the morning of check-out we were told there is only one room and it books up days in advance . . .

Pretty much bait and switch is the name of the game here!

If you have to stay here, it is passable, but just don't expect much.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

As a local (Kamaaina) resident, I've stayed at this hotel many times over the years. Visitors need to do their research and know what they are getting before booking a room here. Ala Moana is an excellent alternative to the craziness and congestion of Waikiki. The hotel is at the entrance to Waikiki and offers better, more plentiful and economical shopping and dining options in the adjacent Ala Moana mall. The hotel is connected to the mall by a skybridge on the 2nd floor of the hotel.

If you are on a budget, be aware that the Kona tower rooms are tiny, and though more economical, we never stay in that section. You will be happier if you pay the extra $10-$20 and book the Waikiki Tower. The higher the floor, the better your view and quality of room.

There were 7 in our party. My dad had a handicap room on the 6th floor which was perfect for his needs. My husband and I were in room 2814. The room was in excellent condition. The walls seemed to have been freshly painted. Our king sized bed was firm. There was a sofa bed and armchair in the room. Water pressure in the bath/shower was good. Flat screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, coffeemaker, all seemed new. Only 3 pillows on the king bed, which was okay for us, but they will bring you more pillows if you ask. The TV channels had the usual cable lineup, including Showtime and HBO, as well as Japanese programming (for the many Japanese guests).

We ate at the hotel's Plantation Cafe one morning. Breakfast buffet is $16 which is cheaper than most of the Waikiki hotels and though not outstanding, it was totally fine for us--the usual eggs, bacon, waffles, pastries, etc.. I think you can buy coffee to go in the restaurant up until they close. Breakfast runs daily from 6:30 to 10 a.m. You can even get the buffet to take out. I can understand why the hotel does not have more restaurant options given their proximity to the ginormous Ala Moana mall. The food court at the mall opens at 8 a.m. There is a 7-11 convenience store just a block down the road in front of the hotel--and of course, it's open 24/7. The Wailana Coffee Shop which is down the road, across from the Hilton on Ala Moana Blvd. is a great place for breakfast---the best blueberry pancakes--and inexpensive.

The hotel parking lot is small and it can be confusing trying to find your car. At $20 a day for self-park it is not cheap, but still cheaper than Waikiki where parking averages $30 or more. I think it's funny to hear people complain about paying $20 a day. This is typical for a big city and major resort!

Price-wise, the Ala Moana hotel is a solid choice, more so for locals though, since we got an oceanview room for $169 at our Kamaaina rate. We could have booked a mountain view suite for $249, but the oceanview room was perfect, as the lanai (w/two chairs plus table) was shaded all day. We had a great view of Waikiki, the boats in Ala Wai harbor and Ala Moana beach park.

The room was quiet even though the hotel was fully booked the weekend we were there. I did not hear any of our neighbors.

Personally, I enjoy staying outside of Waikiki. I've stayed at several hotels in Waikiki over the years and the Ala Moana hotel always offers excellent value---but just don't expect much if you choose the Kona tower. You'll probably be happy in any category room in the Waikiki tower as long as you are on one of the higher floors. You will get what you pay for!

Be careful if booking your room through a vacation rental company, as those rooms are not necessarily going to be on par with the hotel's rooms. Our party had 4 rooms booked through the hotel and all of them were in excellent condition. I book directly through the Outrigger.com website.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors of the Waikiki Tower are worth paying for! Rooms on lower floors may have mo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank HawaiianAngel808
Ron T, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Aloha HawaiianAngel808,
Mahalo for taking the time to describe your visits and recommendations for others looking at our hotel for their next trip to Oahu. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit with your family and that everything turned out good during your visit.
Once again mahalo and hope that we will see you back in the near future.