“Not So Great First Impression”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Carolina
“Not So Great First Impression”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A guide-book essential (from a company that rhymes with Hodor, for you Game of Thrones’ fans) ranks this a best bet for moderate lodging and Hawaii Magazine readers named this a top budget pick for 2014. I would happily return, despite a very rough start. We waited an aggravating half an hour to check in. (When I waited seven minutes this spring at the Marriott in Baltimore because the computer was down, I received a hand written note of apology and chocolate bars, but I digress.) Then, for the three of us, we were given a skanky, small room, replete with someone else’s hair on the pillow of the only bed, a double, with views into the apartment complex a few feet away. In my jet lagged and near-tears state, it dawned on me that we had not been give the correct room in the Tower that we had reserved. When they reassigned us, what a world of difference! The room was clean, spacious, nicely appointed in contemporary Hawaiian décor, and best of all, had a spectacular 180 degree view of downtown Honolulu from mauka to makai (mountain to sea) with a glimpse of Diamondhead in the background. Having coffee on our upper floor balcony each morning was sheer delight. Honestly, that was the most schizophrenic hotel experience I have ever had. Whatever you do, reserve and then insist upon a room in the Tower. Finally, the location is hard to beat—away from the sheer density of tourists on Waikiki (but located at its northern end near the yacht club) and next to the splendid Ala Moana open air shopping mall with its restaurants, wonderful Foodland for groceries, and $4 Mai Tais at the rooftop bar (aptly named Mai Tais) on Mahalo Mondays (with terrific live music and good pupus as well!) The crowd next door shopping is decidedly tony and international, so it is also a blast for people watching. Parking in the hotel’s underground lot is probably as cheap and convenient as it is likely to get in downtown.

Room Tip: Tower ONLY (ignore at your real peril), upper floor for best views! Tower rooms are clean, spacious...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ProfLuvCruzin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel simply because I attended a conference held here. I did not have many expectations before leaving home, but I did read some reviews just to get an idea. I know hotels in the USA are very different than hotels back home when it comes to service. You just get what you paid for, and dont get the extra friendliness from hotel staff. I wont say that this was a great hotel, but I have nothing to complain either. For me, this was just a place to sleep over. The hotel is close to the shopping area, with a bridge connecting to the Ala Moana Center. Lots of eating places nearby. And since I like walking a lot, I enjoyed the 15-20 minute walk to Waikiki, you can also take the Waikiki trolley at the mall ($2 one way, or even better get a $38 one-day pass form4 different bus routes). I read some reviews mentioning that the rooms at Kona Tower were small, but I don't think that was a big problem for me. If I had to travel to Honolulu again for a conference or business-related trip, I would probably stay here again, although I would be open to other options, if any.

Room Tip: If you are an international traveller arriving at Honolulu in the early morning, do please note that...
1 Thank Danny-Yatim
AMHGM, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Mahalo for staying with us and we hope you will return in the future. As to shopping, there will be a number of exciting new stores opening shortly. We will sy a hui hou!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 June 2014

United Airlines put us up here due to maintenance issues and our having missed our connection. It was convenient to food. The hotel had several restaurants and it was across the street from a HUGE shopping mall. Although we arrived at approximately 7 pm, the concierge assisted us in getting a tour the next day, which was GREAT. I feel satisfied.The room was quiet and we slept well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
AMHGM, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
We wish your visit had been under different circumstances but mahalo for staying with us and we hope to serve you again soon.

Warmest Aloha
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Ala Moana hotel is really a good choice for Honolulu - the biggest reason being its location, just a short walk from Waikiki (without being in the middle of that madness) and connected to the Ala Moana Shopping Center, which has all the shopping you could ever want and houses Honolulu's main bus terminal for great connectivity.
I have no complaints at all about the room itself. It was large and had a great balcony. The bed was really comfortable, and the room had a large flat-screen TV with many channels. It also had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.
My complaint is with the way the hotel sells some of its rooms to individuals and other corporate entities. Rather than being owned by the hotel itself, my room was owned by Luxury Suites International, based in Las Vegas. When I checked in, I was told that if I had any problems or issues with the room, I needed to call this company's hotline (but no later than 7pm Las Vegas time, if I remember correctly) as the Ala Moana Hotel management was not responsible for my room and could not help me with any problems I might encounter.
Thankfully, I had no major issues. At one point, I couldn't locate the broadband plug in the room (but there must have been one since they did have a broadband cable). I ended up being able to connect to wi-fi with no problem, so it wasn't a big deal, but they told me at the front desk that I would have to call Luxury Suites International to get any help locating the broadband plug. I recommend this hotel, but it might be a good idea to verify first whether the room you're getting is actually an Ala Moana Hotel-owned room or one owned by some other entity, for if it's one like mine owned by some other entity, any problems you might have would not receive any immediate attention from the hotel staff.

4 Thank Mark S
Tucson AZ
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked for 8 nites and checked out after 4. Would have left sooner but my conference was in hotel. Very stingy with the coffee! Asked for an extra packet for the room (2 adults in room) and was told NO! Complained at front desk and still told "no"! Unless I wanted to pay $2.50 per packet! I've never been in a hotel that would not provide extra coffee packets -- especially since there was no place to get coffee in the hotel after the Plantation Café closed at 10am. They suggested I go a few blocks away to the Seven11. I even told the front desk that denying this simple request would make me want to switch hotels! Switched to Park Shore Waikiki (wonderful!) with a Starbucks practically in the lobby... and unlimited coffee in room! Bring it on.

Room Tip: Call Park Shore Waikiki and enjoy their "switch and save" discount when you cancel your...
9 Thank MonsoonTucsonAZ
Ron T, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear MonsoonTucsonAZ,

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience regarding the supplying of coffee in your room. Our normal procedure is to provide one set of coffe good for 2 mugs to start your day and these packets were replaced daily when the maid cleaned the room. Exceptions can and will be made but unfortunately we could did not follow through in your case.

Once again please accept my sincere apology.
New York
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Huge hotel near the water (0.5 mile walk from the door to the water at the Ala Moana beach park). Walking distance to Waikiki, and the associated shopping area, zoo etc. Interior not amazing, but no complaints. Hotel has several restaurants, as well as a store with everything from gifts and aspirin to food and beverages. Rooms are sufficient, and come with microwave and fridge, so you don't have to eat out all the time. I could not ever get on the internet, and never got a person on the phone to help me trouble shoot, so that was a pain (I was there for work).

*be aware there is no shuttle from the airport, cab fare from HNL to Ala Moana was $50, and going back (in no traffic) I paid $36- not including tip. This was more than I was expecting when making my travel arrangements, so passing the note along to those in the same position

Room Tip: Pay to extra for an ocean view, this hotel is closer to the water than many other condos in the area...
3 Thank A S
Menlo Park
Reviewed 19 June 2014

If you are expecting a 5 star hotel then go to the Royal Hawaiian. This hotel is very convenient for a number of reasons. Within walking distance to the convention center, also the Ala Moana Beach Park, even Waikiki if you feel like walking. And the extra of being next door to the Ala Moana Shopping center with all its shops and restaurants. This is a great place to stay since a lot of local people and some airline crews stay there. I travel a lot and my criteria for places to stay and eat is go where the locals go. The "Signature" restaurant on the top floor is a great place to have a cocktail and a view of the sunset. I always stay there whenever I am in Honolulu. What some don't realize is that the Ala Moana is partially a hotel and a condominium.

Room Tip: Kona tower view is not as good as the Waikiki tower, less expensive and only has 12 floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Roger T
Aloha Roger T.,
I am glad that you enjoyed you stay at the Ala Moana Hotel. Glad to see that the location suited your needs.

Hope to see you on your return trip to Hawaii. Aloha.