“If you can, find something else”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel is adequate, near a mall, not far to walk to places on Waikiki, but the service gets on one's nerves! I travel a lot and stay at many of the budget chain hotels for work. The service at most of those is superior to what you get here. We checked out after three days and found something else because it wasn't the slightest big relaxing. My key wouldn't work, which is the only way to get on the elevator. I went to the front and found a line with 12 people waiting to check in. So, i asked the concierge if she could just help me reprogram my key so i could go to my room. "No, you have to wait in line." Really? So, I asked one of the other people at the front desk. "No, you have to wait in line." I gave up after 20 minutes of fuming, woke up my significant other, and had him come down and get me. When i finally did get my key reprogrammed, she told me i had probably put it next to my phone. Really? I know better. Upon check out, we were charged an "upgrade fee" which we had not asked for. (If you do have to stay there, don't get a "mountain view". It's really a rooftop view of a not so great neighborhood.) When i told her we had not requested an upgrade, she said, well, i'm going to have to talk to my manager. Her manager was really kind enough to take it off our bill, since we had not asked for it. Not once, was a "sorry" heard. There's lots of other good options. I encourage you to find one.

Room Tip: get a lower floor or you will spend your time waiting for elevators. and stay away from "mounta...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank cmaz
Write a ReviewReviews (3,384)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We overnighted at Ala Moana while flying Hawaiian Airlines from PDX back to SYD. We checked in about 2.30pm, avoiding the 3pm rush in evidence when we went back to reception to get our second door keycard enabled. When we got served, the rather snotty reception member immediately said "you must have had it near a phone" which was ridiculous and wrong, both had been the only things in my shirt top pocket. One card did not work from the get go, trying to get to our floor in the elevators, or opening the room door. So our first impression was pretty negative.

The room was a king bed high floor with views, and that was fine thought the entire building is showing its age and was just adequate. An annoying aspect was that while the rooms have a microwave and small fridge, they are devoid of any glassware, plates, cutlery, no bottle opener, nothing. Housekeeping did deliver 2 wine glasses on request, but we had to buy a corkscrew/bottle opener with a bottle of wine over at the nearby shops.

Overall our description of the hotel is "just adequate", the king bed fine and shower good to use, a small but functional balcony - with an exhortation that smoking anywhere including the balcony would incur a $200 cleaning fee. But don't expect anything extra like much friendliness or flexibility from the staff, and our second encounter with reception was memorably bad.

One final plus is the little shop, quite hidden on the lobby level, which sells lots of nibbles and drinks, fruit and all sorts of bits and pieces for travellers, and is staffed by the most friendly and helpful staff. We wish we had found it earlier in our stay.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can afford, with king bed if you want.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wabster
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel itself is ok for the price, our room is a bit older but clean and the location is a bit further away from the beach as advertised. It is a decent place to stay during a conference, not so much for a vacation.

However, we had a very bad experience with the staff at the reception. My wife asked for a wifi password in the lobby and was treated like an intruder by the reception staff, who wanted her to show her ID and then first refused to give the password because the room is not registered under my wife's name. A friend had a similar experience where he was told that it is was own fault that his key card was deactivated since he must have put it too close to his mobile phone.

The customer is apparently not always right in the Ala Moana Hotel.

3  Thank MT031981
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A guide-book essential (from a company that rhymes with Hodor, for you Game of Thrones’ fans) ranks this a best bet for moderate lodging and Hawaii Magazine readers named this a top budget pick for 2014. I would happily return, despite a very rough start. We waited an aggravating half an hour to check in. (When I waited seven minutes this spring at the Marriott in Baltimore because the computer was down, I received a hand written note of apology and chocolate bars, but I digress.) Then, for the three of us, we were given a skanky, small room, replete with someone else’s hair on the pillow of the only bed, a double, with views into the apartment complex a few feet away. In my jet lagged and near-tears state, it dawned on me that we had not been give the correct room in the Tower that we had reserved. When they reassigned us, what a world of difference! The room was clean, spacious, nicely appointed in contemporary Hawaiian décor, and best of all, had a spectacular 180 degree view of downtown Honolulu from mauka to makai (mountain to sea) with a glimpse of Diamondhead in the background. Having coffee on our upper floor balcony each morning was sheer delight. Honestly, that was the most schizophrenic hotel experience I have ever had. Whatever you do, reserve and then insist upon a room in the Tower. Finally, the location is hard to beat—away from the sheer density of tourists on Waikiki (but located at its northern end near the yacht club) and next to the splendid Ala Moana open air shopping mall with its restaurants, wonderful Foodland for groceries, and $4 Mai Tais at the rooftop bar (aptly named Mai Tais) on Mahalo Mondays (with terrific live music and good pupus as well!) The crowd next door shopping is decidedly tony and international, so it is also a blast for people watching. Parking in the hotel’s underground lot is probably as cheap and convenient as it is likely to get in downtown.

Room Tip: Tower ONLY (ignore at your real peril), upper floor for best views! Tower rooms are clean, spacious...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ProfLuvCruzin
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel simply because I attended a conference held here. I did not have many expectations before leaving home, but I did read some reviews just to get an idea. I know hotels in the USA are very different than hotels back home when it comes to service. You just get what you paid for, and dont get the extra friendliness from hotel staff. I wont say that this was a great hotel, but I have nothing to complain either. For me, this was just a place to sleep over. The hotel is close to the shopping area, with a bridge connecting to the Ala Moana Center. Lots of eating places nearby. And since I like walking a lot, I enjoyed the 15-20 minute walk to Waikiki, you can also take the Waikiki trolley at the mall ($2 one way, or even better get a $38 one-day pass form4 different bus routes). I read some reviews mentioning that the rooms at Kona Tower were small, but I don't think that was a big problem for me. If I had to travel to Honolulu again for a conference or business-related trip, I would probably stay here again, although I would be open to other options, if any.

Room Tip: If you are an international traveller arriving at Honolulu in the early morning, do please note that...
1  Thank Danny-Yatim
AMHGM, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Mahalo for staying with us and we hope you will return in the future. As to shopping, there will be a number of exciting new stores opening shortly. We will sy a hui hou!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

United Airlines put us up here due to maintenance issues and our having missed our connection. It was convenient to food. The hotel had several restaurants and it was across the street from a HUGE shopping mall. Although we arrived at approximately 7 pm, the concierge assisted us in getting a tour the next day, which was GREAT. I feel satisfied.The room was quiet and we slept well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AMHGM, Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

We wish your visit had been under different circumstances but mahalo for staying with us and we hope to serve you again soon.

Warmest Aloha

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Ala Moana hotel is really a good choice for Honolulu - the biggest reason being its location, just a short walk from Waikiki (without being in the middle of that madness) and connected to the Ala Moana Shopping Center, which has all the shopping you could ever want and houses Honolulu's main bus terminal for great connectivity.
I have no complaints at all about the room itself. It was large and had a great balcony. The bed was really comfortable, and the room had a large flat-screen TV with many channels. It also had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.
My complaint is with the way the hotel sells some of its rooms to individuals and other corporate entities. Rather than being owned by the hotel itself, my room was owned by Luxury Suites International, based in Las Vegas. When I checked in, I was told that if I had any problems or issues with the room, I needed to call this company's hotline (but no later than 7pm Las Vegas time, if I remember correctly) as the Ala Moana Hotel management was not responsible for my room and could not help me with any problems I might encounter.
Thankfully, I had no major issues. At one point, I couldn't locate the broadband plug in the room (but there must have been one since they did have a broadband cable). I ended up being able to connect to wi-fi with no problem, so it wasn't a big deal, but they told me at the front desk that I would have to call Luxury Suites International to get any help locating the broadband plug. I recommend this hotel, but it might be a good idea to verify first whether the room you're getting is actually an Ala Moana Hotel-owned room or one owned by some other entity, for if it's one like mine owned by some other entity, any problems you might have would not receive any immediate attention from the hotel staff.

4  Thank Mark S