“Great Location and Price”

Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki
Ranked #66 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Perfect location and great value for the price. Close to surfing and shopping. The room was a bit small but clean and tidy. Loved the fact that you can walk right out of the hotel and down the street to anything you might want to see and do!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MALCOLM B
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Aloha "BBGB",
Mahalo for staying with us here at the Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. We hope you return to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have travelled to Hawaii for 3 years straight. This is by far the worst place I have ever stayed in. Dirty rooms. Terrible staff. Rude, did not listen to requests, everything seemed to be too difficult. Only wifi worked in the lobby. The accomodation says it has a gym fitness facility. Excuse me, 1 treadmill a bike and a lat pull down is NOT a gym. This Is also located in the lobby for everyone to see. Pool, was like what's in my backyard. The place is a waste of money! Pathetic!! Very Disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Mazza0411
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Aloha "Mazza0411",
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. It is our goal, here at the Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, to provide our guests with a good value, and a comfortable, relaxing, and fun experience. I am very sorry we failed to accomplish this goal for you. I do appreciate your feedback. We will use your feedback in our ongoing effort to grow and improve.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I must say we were disappointed with our first and only night here, the room was high up but near the lift so we were woken early with this noise behind us. The air conditioning was noisy and not that effective, the room was tiny and we had an " upgrade" which i think was the balcony.
The bathroom was tired with paint flaking off the lower side of the shower and a cracked basin.
Worst of all was breakfast ( around 8.30/9.00) with everything picked over and nothing healthy on offer except a boiled egg. We didn't want sweet cereals, weak juice or waffles, possible the cheapest worst presented breakfast in 30 years of travelling.
The pool is small and insignificant.
We wished we had paid a bit more and found something more professional.

Room Tip: stay away from the lift, make sure high up and expect a small room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pjob4700
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Aloha "pjob4700"
Thank you for sharing your experience here on tripadvisor. I am sorry you were so dissapointed with our free continental breakfast. I have shared your feedback with the owner of the restaurant.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was great! Great location and an affordable price. It was basic and clean. The bed was super comfortable – so that makes me happy. The room itself was small – but enough room for two people. There was a TV and a fridge and all expected toiletries. The windows where those “slat-type” windows that you find all over Hawaii, so you will hear a lot of road noise, including the daily beeping from the garbage trucks at 5am. Ear plugs are a must. If you book directly through the hotel, you will get a free breakfast included. The breakfast is very decent. It includes boiled eggs, ham, rice, fruit and breads. The location of this hotel is about ½ a block to the main road where you will find lots of restaurants and shops and 2 small blocks to the beach and another main road where there are lots more restaurants and shops. You can borrow beach towels and beach chairs from the front desk. If I came back to Waikiki, I would stay at the hotel for sure.
Ps. If you don’t mind walking a little bit and want an inexpensive, tasty meal, ask at the front desk for directions to the Rainbow Diner!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tamdude

Aloha "tamdude",
Mahalo for staying with us here at the Aloha Surf. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. You mentioned Rainbow Drive Inn. Rainbows (as locals refer to it) is an Iconic standard for local style food. "Plate Lunch". You must try the "Loco Moco". Rice, Hamburger Patty, with an egg on top, covered with gravy. WOW.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here for 6 days in mid July. Rooms a bit small but then again I was a solo but they were clean. First two days I had a room overlooking the street and yes it was a bit noisy even on the 11th floor but it was the sounds of people at work and I did not mind. The last four days a week later I was in a small room 204 which was at the back of the hotel and no street noise, just noise from kids having a good time in the pool. Breakfasts were perfectly fine despite other people complaining about it on this site. I got to breakfast at 7 am when it opened. Pancakes were hot and freshly cooked. There was also cake, donuts. rice, ham, hardboiled eggs two sorts of cereal... too sweet for my liking, variety of bread for toasting made up juice and tea and coffee. The tea was too weak but it was hot. Of course if you go to breakfast at 8.30 the food might be not so good. If I am ever in Hawaii again I would strongly consider staying here again. One more comment to make, as tea drinker it would have been nice to have a carafe of hot water next to the coffee bar on the ground floor. Mahalo Anne Heath

Room Tip: If on your own ask for room at back of hotel on a corner eg 204. Higher floors have extra charges, m...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne H
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Aloha "AnneH",
I am glad you enjoyed your time with us here at the Aqua Aloha Surf. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor.com. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I booked this room though using Priceline. Traveling alone as a single woman in her 30's, I am very prudent to book a hotel room before I arrive in a new city. I also make sure that the hotel is in a safe area for a single woman. On August 1, I arrived in Honolulu via plane at 10:30 pm at night. As soon as my plane landed, I called the hotel to confirm the room at Aqua Aloha Surf. A woman who answered the phone confirmed my reservation and I informed her that I would be checking in in about an hour. She repeated that my room was confirmed. When I finally arrived at the hotel at midnight, I was informed upon checking in that there was no room available for me as the hotel overbooked.

Lance, the man working at the front desk, stated that he had no idea why I was told that the room was confirmed considering that "everyone knew the situation." Rather, Lance informed me that I
would be relocated to another hotel about 10 minutes away. It was midnight and as as single woman traveler, I was upset and a bit nervous about having to locate to a completely new hotel. When I arrived at the other hotel, it did not have the same amenities as the hotel room I
booked. I specifically booked Aqua Aloha Surf because of its location to the beach and its wifi. The hotel they moved me to, Pagoda Hotel, was not within walking distance of Waikiki Beach nor did it have wifi internet access.

Additionally, the taxi driver that took me to the new hotel told me that Aqua Aloha Surf tends to do this quite often- overbook and then move their guests to another hotel. I wanted to alert
people. This hotel moved paying guests from the hotel they book to another one. This is a clear safety issue as travelers are forced to go to another area of town that they have no knowledge of.

I would really recommend not booking at this hotel or any of its related properties. I would not want this to happen to anyone else.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
11  Thank TravelingDebs

Aloha "TravelingDebs",
I apologize for having to relocate you to our sister property, the Pagoda. We were running very high occupancy this past week and we rand into some room issues. This resulted in us not having enough rooms for some of our arriving guests.
I assure you, this is not a common thing for us. I am very sorry that we inconveniecnced you.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

we stayed here for 7 nights in july. The lobby is open and a pleasant place to sit and relax. The room we was allocated had a 'fusty' smell to it, I went to reception and spoke to Lance who immediately offered us another room which was much better, we also had part view of the canal which was nice, so thank you Lance for dealing with this without question. The rooms are small but comfy and clean, as are the bathrooms but they are in need of updating, the shower was old but good, and the towels were lovely - white and fluffy, also good toiletries. The free breakfast was adequate and the ladies serving were always pleasant to me despite negative comments made. I was concerned when I read complaints regarding the birds as I'm a bit phobic about them but just eat inside if they bother you as I did. This hotel is ideally situated, not far from the beach and the complimentary towels/chairs were an added bonus. All the staff here are pleasant and helpful, the concierge was very informative regarding trips, we booked the shark cage and that was a great experience! A pleasant stay at the Aqua Aloha Surf, it's budget - it's good!

Room Tip: High rooms probably have less noise. The air con drowns the outside noise, Just take earplugs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MariaYorkshire

Aloha "MariaYorkshire",
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor.com. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us.
We hope you return soon.